• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

1st swine flu death reported in Nova Scotia

Diane Morin

Moderator
1st swine flu death reported in Nova Scotia

Last Updated: Friday, July 24, 2009 | 1:03 PM ET Comments1Recommend10

CBC News


A woman with swine flu died in a Nova Scotia hospital early Friday ? the province's first death linked to the virus.

Public health officials said the woman in her 50s was admitted to a hospital in the Capital District two weeks ago with the illness, and had underlying health conditions.

Dr. Robert Strang, the province's chief public health officer, said no other information is being released out of respect for the family.
"As I've said throughout the pandemic, this is not unexpected. We anticipated seeing severe cases and deaths, and we anticipate that this will continue," he said at a news conference in Halifax.

"This sad event is a reminder to all of us that this H1N1 pandemic in Nova Scotia is very serious and the outbreak is not over."


Anyone with these symptoms is urged to stay home for seven days:
  • Fever.
  • Cough.
  • Headache.
  • Muscle aches.
  • Fatigue.
  • Sore throat.
There have been 456 confirmed cases of the virus in Nova Scotia since the outbreak began in April. Ten people have been treated in hospital.
Strang said most cases have been mild and most patients have recovered at home.
He said public health officials continue to monitor the spread of the virus in the province, and the death of one patient will not change their approach.
Nova Scotians are urged to protect themselves by:
  • Washing hands thoroughly.
  • Cleaning common surfaces like counters.
  • Covering up when sneezing, coughing.
  • Staying home if ill.
As of Wednesday, 55 people in Canada had died as a result of H1N1.
Strang said about 4,000 Canadians die every year of various flu viruses.
 
Re: 1st swine flu death reported in Nova Scotia

http://thechronicleherald.ca/Front/1134189.html

Swine flu claims Cape Breton woman

Nursing home worker fell ill last month
By EVA HOARE Staff Reporter and The Canadian Press
Sat. Jul 25 - 4:46 AM

A woman who spent 32 years caring for the elderly and infirm has become Nova Scotia?s first H1N1 fatality.

Annette Sampson, in her 50s, from L?Ardoise, Richmond County, died Friday in hospital after falling ill with swine flu in late June.

"(She was) a very kind and empathetic person," said Margaret Morrison, senior administrator at Richmond Villa in St. Peter?s.

"(She) always saw the good in people and something humorous in situations ? a very well-liked, very good person."

Health Department officials released news of the death just after noon Friday, but Dr. Robert Strang, the province?s chief public health officer, wouldn?t release the woman?s name.

Dr. Strang said the woman had underlying chronic diseases but wouldn?t reveal what those were or any other details about her.

Mrs. Morrison also said she couldn?t divulge details of any underlying illness Ms. Sampson may have had, citing privacy concerns.

She said those who work at the facility feel they are part of a big community and would be praying and supporting one another and Ms. Sampson?s husband and daughter.

"We?re very much like a big family," Mrs. Morrison said in an interview before heading to work.

Dr. Strang said officials expected there would be deaths linked to the H1N1 virus and the fatality does nothing to change their preparations for an outbreak of a more virulent strain this flu season.

"This sad event is a reminder to all of us that the H1N1 pandemic in Nova Scotia is very serious and is not over," he told reporters at a briefing Friday.

"We have expected to see severe cases, perhaps even deaths . . . and are focused on preparing the health system to deliver care to people with flu and non-flu."

Mrs. Morrison said Ms. Sampson called Richmond Villa staff from her home in late June to report her illness, and residents didn?t come into contact with her. No residents have been ill, she said.

Ms. Sampson had been in the hospital for a couple of weeks, said Mrs. Morrison. She hadn?t been outside the province in recent months. (Some previous cases of the virus here have been linked to the illness?s epicentre in Mexico.)

"It?s important for folks to know . . . as an organization, we?ve been monitoring our residents and our staff since the outbreak of H1N1,"" Mrs. Morrison said. ""We?re following all the public health protocols."

Ms. Sampson joined Richmond Villa in October 1976, Mrs. Morrison said.

Richmond Villa is an integrated care facility, looking after 68 residents. There are 59 nursing beds, one respite bed and eight other beds where patients receive a lighter level of health care, said the administrator.

Nova Scotia was the first province to report cases of swine flu.

The death Friday ? the first in Atlantic Canada ? brings the total number of fatalities across the country to 56, according to the Public Health Agency of Canada.

There have been 19 deaths in Quebec, 18 in Ontario, seven in Manitoba, four in Saskatchewan, four in Alberta, two in British Columbia and one in Nunavut.

Dr. Strang cautioned that while the number of cases continues to rise, the majority of people are exhibiting mild, typical flu-like symptoms. But he added that what makes H1N1 unique is that it is hitting the young and healthy the hardest, unlike common flus that usually afflict the elderly and sickly more severely.

There have been a total of 456 lab-confirmed cases of H1N1 in Nova Scotia, with 10 hospitalizations to date. Two people remain in hospital in Halifax.

"People need to take this seriously and individuals must take responsibility to protect their health . . . by looking after their hygiene needs," said Dr. Ken Buchholz of the Health Department.

Canada?s first cases were among a group of students from the private school King?s-Edgehill, who travelled to Mexico last winter. All had mild symptoms and have recovered.

On Friday, officials at a cadet training camp at CFB Gagetown in New Brunswick said they had two confirmed cases of swine flu and 25 suspected cases, with all being put in isolation.

( ehoare@herald.ca)
 
Re: 1st swine flu death reported in Nova Scotia

Source: http://www.capebretonpost.com/index.cfm?sid=272627&sc=145

Last updated at 12:03 AM on 27/07/09

Cape Breton woman dies of swine flu print this article
The Cape Breton Post

SYDNEY ?A continuing care assistant from Cape Breton has become Atlantic Canada?s first swine flu fatality.
Annette Sampson of L?Ardoise died at a Halifax hospital, Friday. The 51-year-old had been working at Richmond Villa nursing home in St. Peter?s for the past 32 years.
?She was very well-respected and very well liked by co-workers and residents,? said Margaret Morrison, administrator of Richmond Villa.
Morrison said it is not known how Sampson contracted H1N1 but said it wasn?t at the nursing home.
She said Sampson first reported off sick in late June after experiencing some flu-like symptoms.
?We do not have now nor have we had any influenza-like illness amongst our residents ... and we?ve had no other confirmed H1N1 among our staff,? said Morrison.
Public health officials issued a press release Friday saying that a woman in her 50s had died but didn?t release a name. Officials said the woman was admitted to hospital two weeks ago with H1N1 and had underlying chronic diseases.
Sampson, who is survived by her husband and a daughter, had been receiving treatment at the QEII Health Sciences Centre in Halifax for the past couple of weeks.
27/07/09
 
Back
Top