• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

1st A/H1N1 death in San Diego Co.

Shiloh

Editor, Senior Moderator
Source: http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jun/16/bn16flu-first-sd-death/

First swine flu death in San Diego County reported
UNION-TRIBUNE

5:37 p.m. June 16, 2009

SAN DIEGO ? A 20-year-old woman is the first person to die of swine flu in San Diego County, local health officials reported Tuesday.

The county's Health and Human Services Agency made the announcement about 5:10 p.m. Tuesday and scheduled a news conference with Dr. Wilma Wooten, county public health officer.

Pending the news conference, no other details would be immediately released, said agency spokesman Tom Christensen.

The announcement comes just a week after county supervisors formally terminated the public-health emergency they declared in late April as a result of the outbreak of the H1N1 virus.

At the height of the scare, county officials hosted daily press briefings and closed three public schools to prevent the spread of the virus.

Through June 1, 212 people in the county were confirmed to have been infected with the disease.

In China, six students and one teacher from a private Carlsbad school are being hospitalized after all seven tested positive for the H1N1 virus.

Three other students and one other teacher from the group, which had been on an educational tour of China, are also ill in the hospital in the city of Yichang. None of them have tested positive for the swine flu virus, officials at Pacific Ridge School said at a press conference Monday afternoon.

Breaking News Team: (619) 293-1010; breaking@uniontrib.com
 
Re: 1st A/H1N1 death in San Diego Co.

Another fast death in a young person....

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/lanow/2009/06/first-swine-flu-death-reported-in-san-diego.html

First swine flu death reported in San Diego County
6:07 PM | June 16, 2009
San Diego County has had its first swine-flu death, county health officials said Tuesday.

The victim was a 20-year-old woman. The county had some of the first cases of the swine flu before it began to spread throughout the country.

The county has had 275 confirmed swine flu cases, with 20 requiring hospitalization, according to Dr. Wilma Wooten, the county's public health officer. The unnamed 20-year-old woman became sick on the weekend and died within 24 hours, Wooten said.

The state has had 7 swine-flu deaths, the nation has 44, Wooten said. San Diego County swine flu victims range in age from four months to 81 years.
 
Re: 1st A/H1N1 death in San Diego Co.

Source: http://www3.signonsandiego.com/stories/2009/jun/16/bn16flu2-first-sd-death/?metro

San Diego County's first swine flu death reported
By Mike Lee, Union-Tribune Staff Writer, Susan Shroder, Union-Tribune Staff Writer

7:01 p.m. June 16, 2009

SAN DIEGO ? A 20-year-old woman is the first person to die of swine flu in San Diego County, local health officials reported Tuesday.

The victim had lived in the region, said Dr. Wilma Wooten, the county's public health officer.

She started having respiratory problems Sunday and went to the emergency room of a local hospital the next day, said Wooten, who wouldn't identify the medical center.

The patient died in the emergency room without being hospitalized. Infectious disease specialists confirmed that she was infected with swine flu, also called H1N1 influenza A, just before 5 p.m. Tuesday.

Wooten said the victim was apparently healthy before this illness and had not traveled outside the region.


?This situation is an extremely painful reminder that ... the virus still exists in our community,? Wooten said during a news conference.

She added that people exposed to the victim have been identified and are receiving courses of the antiviral drug Tamiflu.

The announcement comes just a week after county supervisors formally terminated the public-health emergency they declared in late April as a result of the swine flu outbreak.

San Diego County reported the first two H1N1 infections in April, and the disease was declared a pandemic last week by the World Health Organization. More than 35,920 swine flu infections have been confirmed in 76 countries as of Tuesday. The actual caseload is likely much higher, epidemiologists have said.

At the height of the scare, San Diego County's health officials hosted daily news briefings and closed three public schools to prevent the spread of the virus.

Through Tuesday, the county has confirmed 275 swine flu infections.


In China, six students and one teacher from a private school in Carlsbad are being hospitalized after all seven tested positive for the H1N1 virus.

Three other students and one other teacher from the group, which had been on an educational tour of China, are also ill in the hospital in the city of Yichang. None of them has tested positive for the swine flu virus, officials at Pacific Ridge School said during a news conference Monday.

Mike Lee: (619) 542-4570;
Susan Shroder: (619) 293-1876;
 
Re: 1st A/H1N1 death in San Diego Co.

http://www.northcountytimes.com/art...andiego/z0cd2afb8be3b1621882575d80068f091.txt

REGION: San Marcos woman is county's only fatal swine flu victim
Woman had no known health problems

By the North County Times | Wednesday, June 17, 2009 2:09 PM PDT ∞

* (3) Comments
* Increase Font
* Decrease Font
* email this story
* print this story

SAN DIEGO COUNTY ---- A 20-year-old woman who died Monday from swine flu lived in San Marcos, officials said Wednesday.

Adela Chevalier's death is the county's first fatality caused by the H1N1 virus. Seven people in California and at least 44 people in the U.S. have died of the virus, county Public Health Officer Wilma Wooten said.

The San Diego County woman had no other known medical problems when she became ill last weekend, Wooten said. The woman became severely ill Monday, when she visited a hospital emergency room, she said.

The patient died in the emergency room and was never admitted, Wooten said. No further identifying information about the woman was released.

San Diego County officials have confirmed 275 cases of the virus, with 25 people hospitalized from it, Wooten said. Health officials are not surprised by the first death, Wooten said.

"We stated numerous times that we expect to see more cases, and we expect to see complications and death," she said.

The fact that a young, healthy person apparently died of the swine flu is also not surprising, Wooten said. According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, children under 5 infected with the virus have the highest rate of hospitalization, and young people between the ages of 5 and 24 have the second highest rate of hospitalization.

Wooten said that healthy people can get very sick from the swine flu because neither past illness nor vaccinations provide any immunity to the virus, which is new in humans.

Health officials have not changed their recommendations for preventing the spread of the virus, which include washing hands frequently, avoiding sick people and staying home if sick.
 
Re: 1st A/H1N1 death in San Diego Co.

Source: http://www.sandiego6.com/news/local...s-Adela-Chevalier/54qJ1EXOF0yzw2unoKSxPA.cspx

San Diego County Swine Flu Victim Family Speaks
Reported by: Antonio Castelan
Email: antonio.castelan@sandiego6.com
Last Update: 6/17 11:51 pm

The family of the first swine flu fatality in San Diego County speaks. Adela Chevalier was a 20-year old woman from San Marcos. Family members say it's all a shock that she is gone.

"She was a good daughter. Her beautiful life went so quick," said her mother, Maria del Carmen Rivera. "I have a huge pain in my heart. I ask God's help to console me."

Rivera says it all started on Saturday when Adela came down with a slight fever.

Adela's sister, Patricia Lopez says the family has no idea how she caught the H1N1 virus.

"We did not know," said Lopez. "We knew she had influenza. We did not know the cause. It was the swine flu."

By Monday, Adela asked her mother to take her to the hospital. She went into the emergency room at Palomar Pomerado in Escondido.

Lopez told San Diego 6, "She was still alert and she was very sweaty."

In a mere eight hours, doctors told the family Adela had died from respiratory complications.


Lopez said, "A lot of things go through my mind. You know, it's unexpected. We thought she'd be okay."

The family tells us their loved one was so full of life.

Now they take precaution and wear masks. They've also taken flu medicine. The family says their well being is the least of their concerns as they mourn.

The family has set up a memorial fund in Chevalier's name. If you would like to donate to this fund you can go to any Chase Bank.

The account number is #9413656393.
KFC Statement
Adela Chevalier worked at Mountain Shadows in Escondido, a medical facility for disabled youngsters and the Kentucky Fried Chicken on Nordhal Road in San Marcos. KFC has issued this statement:

?Our condolences go out to our employee?s family, friends and everyone mourning her loss. She will be missed by all who worked with her and knew her. While the H1N1 virus is not spread by eating or handling food, as a precautionary measure our restaurant has been thoroughly cleaned and sanitized and all employees are being tested for the H1N1 virus.?

Laurie Schalow
KFC Spokesperson
 
Back
Top