• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

15 swine flu cases close Santa Rosa religious camp

thebes

Well-known member
http://www.pressdemocrat.com/articl...2/1033?Title=Swine-flu-closes-Santa-Rosa-camp

By PAUL PAYNE
THE PRESS DEMOCRAT

Published: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 at 11:57 a.m.
Last Modified: Wednesday, June 17, 2009 at 11:57 a.m.
The annual opening of a Santa Rosa religious summer camp was postponed Wednesday by an outbreak of swine flu.

Camp Newman-Swig, a sprawling 500-acre complex on Porter Creek Road, had two probable and 13 highly suspect cases of the H1N1 virus among members of its adult staff, said Dr. Mary Maddux-Gonzalez, Sonoma County?s public health officer.

Instead of opening as planned Wednesday, the Jewish camp for children 7 to 17 shut its gates and notified parents not to bring their children. About 1,400 children were expected this summer.

As many as 160 camp counselors and others remained at the property.

?Fortunately, the illness has been relatively mild,? said Maddux-Gonzalez. ?Some individuals have recovered already and there were no hospitalizations.?

The flu has become pandemic since turning up in Mexico in late April.

Statewide, as of last week, there had been 918 confirmed cases of swine flu, 203 probable cases and seven deaths.

In Sonoma County, there have been five confirmed and six probable cases, with no deaths, Maddux-Gonzalez said. Among the probable cases are those of two Sonoma Developmental Center residents, reported Wednesday, she said.

Many of the probable cases are likely to be confirmed when they are sent to the state for further testing. Still others will likely go unreported, she said.

Just how the virus arrived at Camp Newman-Swig was under investigation, but Maddux-Gonzalez said it is no longer necessary to leave the country to get it.

?The virus is circulating throughout California,? she said. ?We anticipate we will continue to see cases and outbreaks.?

At the camp, flu symptoms appeared in about 14 of 160 staff members over the last week, said Rabbi Elliott Kleinman of the the Union for Reform Judaism said in a written statement. He was not available for questions or to explain why the county public health department stated 15 people ill.

Influenza A was confirmed through tests and state health officials said it was likely a mild form of swine flu, Kleinman said in his statement.

The camp took immediate steps to prevent the spread recommended by the Centers for Disease Control, including issuance of a seven-day quarantine, Kleinman stated.

Also, the organization voluntarily postponed Wednesday?s opening. Camp officials did not say when or if the facility would reopen this season. According to a note on the camp Web site, an update would appear on the site.

Maddux-Gonzalez said the camp was not required to remain closed.

Parents said they were notified of the outbreak early Wednesday morning.

Eric Hodes of Santa Rosa said his 11-year-old son Sam?s bags were packed when he got a call after midnight informing him the closure.

The caller told him many staff members had fevers and some tested positive for swine flu, he said.

?It?s pretty contagious,? said Hodes, an anesthesiologist. ?I totally support them closing for a while. Although my kid is pretty bummed out.?
 
Back
Top