• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

UK - Norovirus cases 2012

Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2012

15 February 2012 Last updated at 14:01 ET

Worcestershire Royal Hospital norovirus outbreak shuts beds

A third of beds in a Worcestershire hospital have been closed to admissions after an outbreak of norovirus, according to the health trust.
Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust said all non-urgent operations were being postponed at Worcestershire Royal Hospital.

The trust said the outbreak was putting "extreme pressure on the system".

Eight wards are now partially or fully closed, according to the trust.

Penny Venables, Chief Executive of Worcestershire Acute Hospitals NHS Trust, said: "The situation is escalating and we are now having to increase the measures we are putting in place to ensure that the situation doesn't worsen."

More...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-hereford-worcester-17050174
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2012

15 February 2012 Last updated at 10:07 ET

Six hospitals hit by norovirus in north and south west Wales

Six hospitals in north and south west Wales have been hit by an outbreak of the winter vomiting bug norovirus.

Some wards are closed or partially closed to admissions at Bangor's Ysbyty Gwynedd, Wrexham Maelor, Glan Clwyd at Bodwyddan, Colwyn Bay, Tywyn and Haverfordwest's Withybush Hospital.

Meanwhile, a sickness and diarrhoea bug has shut two wards at Bronglais Hospital in Aberystwyth.

Visitors are urged to "think twice" before visiting the affected wards.

More...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-north-west-wales-17038891
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2012

18 February 2012 Last updated at 05:57 ET

Norovirus hits Royal Glamorgan Hospital in Llantrisant

The Royal Glamorgan Hospital in Llantrisant has become the latest in Wales to be hit by the winter vomiting bug norovirus.

Cwm Taf Health Board said several wards had been affected and were temporarily closed.

It is urging members of the public to minimise visits to the hospital.

The bug has also closed wards at Withybush Hospital in Haverfordwest, Bronglais Hospital in Aberystwyth and at five hospitals in north Wales.

Cwm Taf Health Board said: "Several wards have been affected and are temporarily closed.

More...
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17084207
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2012

Ipswich: Sickness bug closes wards to new admissions at hospital

BY LIZZIE PARRY, health reporter
Wednesday, February 22, 2012
9:00 AM

FOUR wards at Ipswich Hospital have been closed to new admissions after a sickness bug struck a small number of patients.

Staff at the Heath Road site have asked family and friends to call before they visit to minimise the risk of spreading the infection.

The affected wards are Claydon ? a cardiac ward, Debenham ? a cardiac rehab and endocrine/diabetes ward, Kesgrave ? a medical ward and Needham which cares for patients with musclo-skeletal and rheumatological disorders.

More...
http://www.eadt.co.uk/news/ipswich_sickness_bug_closes_wards_to_new_admissions_at_hospital_1_1216287
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2012

Hospital in ?unprecedented? situation

Published on Wednesday 22 February 2012 09:52

<!--PSTYLE=WINT Web Intro-->
HEALTH chiefs battling to contain outbreaks of a highly infectious bug at a Derbyshire hospital hope the ?unprecedented? situation will improve over the next few days.

Bosses took the drastic step of closing Chesterfield Royal Hospital to visitors last Wednesday after the contagious Norovirus winter vomiting bug struck eight wards.

The Calow hospital remained under lockdown as the Derbyshire Times went to press on Wednesday.

Sarah Turner-Saint, head of communications at the hospital, said: ?It?s over a week since we took the unprecedented decision to close our adult in-patient wards to visitors to try and break the cycle of this outbreak ? which is the worst we have known.

?This was a tough call to make - but with fewer beds and fewer staff we were in real danger of not being able to provide services to critically ill patients.

?We hope that over the next few days the situation will improve as we self-limit the infection on these wards and the bug dies out.?

More...
http://www.derbyshiretimes.co.uk/news/local/hospital_in_unprecedented_situation_1_4271365
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2012

Schools warned over spread of norovirus

By Ian Dipple 23/02 Updated: 24/02 10:18

HEALTH chiefs have written to schools across the county as part of efforts to control the outbreak of norovirus in the community.

The letters were sent this week by NHS Worcestershire Public Health as pupils returned from half-term urging them to encourage basic hygiene.
The bug - which causes sickness and diarrhoea - is more easily spread in semi-closed or closed spaces such as schools and health chiefs are eager to avoid the current outbreak spreading further.

Currently seven wards at Worcestershire Royal Hospital remain closed, down from 12 last week, but a visiting ban remains in place, although it is being reviewed on a daily basis.


 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2012

Restricted Visiting - Royal Albert Edward Infirmary

Newsdate: 27 February 2012

A number of patients have been affected with diarrhoea and vomiting on the Royal Albert Edward Infirmary Site (Wigan Infirmary). In order to maintain a safe environment for our patients we are temporarily restricting visiting arrangements. From today the following visiting procedures must be followed:

? Neonatal Unit No more than two visitors
? Maternity No more than two visitors
? Paediatrics No more than two visitors
? All Surgical wards No visitors
? All Medical wards No visitors

In the case of emergency admissions relatives, friends or carers must leave as soon as patients are settled. Anybody with diarrhoea and vomiting symptoms are asked not to visit. Visitors are also asked to ensure they adhere to the hospitals hand hygiene policies (which will be displayed on wards) and do not sit on patients beds.

However, if you have any worries or concerns about not being able to visit a patient, please contact the ward manager.

Please note that all other Trust hospital sites, for the time being, are unaffected in relation to visiting.

Thank you for your assistance in this matter and helping to keep our hospitals healthy.


http://www.wwl.nhs.uk/News/2012/February/restricted_visiting.asp
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2012

Hospital confirms norovirus outbreak

Andy Keeble Thursday, March 1, 2012
12:53 PM

PATIENTS and visitors are being warned about an outbreak of norovirus at North Devon District Hospital, in Barnstaple.

A number of wards have been affected by the diarrhoea and vomiting infection, also known as the ?winter-vomiting bug?.

Northern Devon Healthcare Trust is advising people to stay away from the hospital unless ?absolutely necessary?.

A spokesperson said: ?As we deal with and control this outbreak, we would kindly ask members of the public to only visit the hospital if absolutely necessary.

More...
http://www.northdevongazette.co.uk/news/hospital_confirms_norovirus_outbreak_1_1224906
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2012

Outbreak of norovirus winter vomiting sparks alert in Halton

Mar 1 2012 by Oliver Clay, Runcorn and Widnes Weekly News

HEALTH bosses have urged residents to help fight the spread of a highly infectious bug in Runcorn and Widnes.

NHS Halton And St Helens Trust said the area was suffering an outbreak of the norovirus, also known as ?winter vomiting disease?.

The trust said the condition affects 600,000 UK residents every year and can be a ?nasty experience?.

The condition can be highly contagious unless care is taken to stop it from spreading. The bug is also resistant to alcohol hand gel.

More...
http://www.runcornandwidnesweeklyne...miting-sparks-alert-in-halton-55368-30432037/
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2012

Norovirus outbreak at two Annan schools

Mar 7 2012 by Sharon Liptrott, Dumfries Standard Wednesday

TWO Annan schools have been hit by an outbreak of the highly-contagious Norovirus infection.

Classes were depleted as dozens of pupils at Elmvale and St Columba?s primaries suffered diarrhoea and vomiting.

And the council brought in special cleaning teams after the health board confirmed the virus had been identified.

Consultant in Public Health Medicine, Dr David Breen, has written to parents of pupils at the schools and sent out information leaflets.
<NOSCRIPT></NOSCRIPT>

He said: ?Hopefully this outbreak will be short-lived and won?t cause too much disruption to the school. The schools will remain open as usual.
...
http://www.dgstandard.co.uk/dumfrie...outbreak-at-two-annan-schools-51311-30473468/
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2012

BREAKING: Visitors banned from norovirus-stricken Chesterfield Hospital

Published on Monday 12 March 2012 12:58

<!--PSTYLE=WINT Web Intro-->
PATIENTS at Chesterfield Royal Hospital have been banned from receiving visitors, as a prolonged outbreak of the norovirus vomiting bug continues to plague the hospital.

Bosses have put a bar on visitors coming into any wards, except to visit children, patients who are in their final days, those on intensive or high-dependency care, or maternity patients.

Eight wards at the hospital are currently affected by the extremely contagious bug, and many patients and staff have been struck down by the illness.

It is the second time the hospital has barred visitors from the ward, but the problem has come back since bosses lifted the temporary ban last month.

A spokesman said: ?Following the closure in February, we have continued to appeal to the community not to visit if they have symptoms of norovirus.

?Despite this there have been several further occasions where visitors have come to hospital and experienced episodes of diarrhoea and sickness on our wards.

?This is not helping us to resolve this outbreak.

http://www.thestar.co.uk/news/healt...irus-stricken-chesterfield-hospital-1-4337701

See also:
http://www.chesterfieldroyal.nhs.uk/patients/hospital-stay/infection-control
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2012

Norovirus outbreak at Lister

Louise McEvoy Wednesday, March 14, 2012
2:15 PM

AN OUTBREAK of the winter vomiting bug, Norovirus, has been declared at Lister Hospital in Stevenage.
...
Outbreaks of the virus were also declared last month and in December.

Philippa Davies, deputy director of nursing, said: ?New admissions to a ward have been stopped due to several symptomatic patients and staff.
...
http://www.thecomet.net/news/norovirus_outbreak_at_lister_1_1237190
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2012

Health probe as suspected norovirus bug hits 22 guests at the Scarisbrick Hotel

Mar 15 2012 by Danielle Manning, Southport Visiter

A SUSPECTED outbreak of the highly contagious norovirus hit 22 guests and staff members at the Scarisbrick Hotel.

Ambulances and paramedics were seen at the Lord Street building as the winter vomiting bug struck.

Although the Health Protection Agency is awaiting confirmation from laboratory tests, they confirmed that it was ?almost certainly? the norovirus infection.

Bookings have now been halted until an extensive cleaning operation is completed in the affected areas.

More...
http://www.southportvisiter.co.uk/s...sts-at-the-scarisbrick-hotel-101022-30535086/
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2012

Norovirus as big a risk to Olympics as terrorism

An outbreak of flu or vomiting bug is as big a risk to the Olympics as a terror attack, a Government security assessment has warned.

By Tom Whitehead, Security Editor
7:00AM GMT 16 Mar 2012

Health chiefs fear the fact hundreds of thousands of people from around the world will all be in one place this summer would increase the likelihood of contagious bugs or even new strains spreading.

Monitoring systems will be expanded in the run up to and during the Games to ensure any virus is picked up on early.

Security experts also have great faith in the British weather after warning the greatest climatic threat to visitors will be suffering from a heatwave.

The warnings are included in a Home Office risk assessment which puts ?natural events? alongside terrorism, organised crime, extremism and public disorder as the main threats.

More...
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/ol...s-as-big-a-risk-to-Olympics-as-terrorism.html
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2012

Norwich family blames norovirus illness for death of 27-year-old

David Bale Monday, March 19, 2012
6:30 AM

The parents of a 27-year-old Norwich man believe he would still be alive if he had not contracted the norovirus illness.

Nathan Shailer, who suffered from cerebral palsy, died from pneumonia with norovirus as a contributory cause on Thursday, March 15.

More...
http://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/news...eath_of_27_year_old_1_1241622?action=register
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2012

Update on outbreak of gastrointestinal illness, Lampeter

Friday, 30 March 2012

Investigations into an outbreak of gastrointestinal illness at a school in Lampeter have shown that norovirus is the most likely cause.

Public Health Wales and Ceredigion County Council have been investigating the outbreak of diarrhoea and vomiting at Ysgol Gynradd Ffynnonbedr, which has affected 180 pupils and 16 staff since the beginning of the month.

Last week, all 368 pupils and 56 staff at the school were asked to submit samples for laboratory testing if they developed symptoms.

Ten samples have tested positive for norovirus and no samples have tested positive for any other bacterial or viral illnesses, suggesting that norovirus is the most likely cause of the outbreak.

Ceredigion County Council and Dwr Cymru have also carried out testing onsite at the school, which has shown no environmental cause for the outbreak.

The school will close from Friday 30 March for a two-week Easter holiday.

Dr J?rg Hoffmann, Consultant in Communicable Disease Control for Public Health Wales, said: ?We are very grateful to staff and parents at the school who have co-operated so readily with the investigation.

?As well as issuing sample pots to children, we also issued questionnaires to gather information on where pupils had been and what they had eaten before becoming unwell, and received more than 330 responses.

?These, together with microbiological sampling and environmental sampling, have led us to believe that the cause of the outbreak is norovirus.

?We are optimistic that the outbreak is coming to an end, with very few new cases in the last two days, and we are hopeful that there will be no further cases following the Easter holidays.?

Norovirus is a virus that causes vomiting and diarrhoea and passes easily from person-to-person. Generally patients will be fully recovered within a few days and will not need medical treatment.

Although it is difficult to prevent outbreaks in the community, spread of norovirus can be reduced by careful handwashing, washing soiled clothing and bed linen at a high temperature and disinfecting toilet surfaces.

Anyone with diarrhoea or vomiting should not return to school or work until they have been symptom-free for 48 hours.

Anyone who is concerned about their health should contact their GP or NHS Direct on 0845 46 47.

See also:
Outbreak of gastrointestinal illness, Lampeter [published 22 March 2012]
Norovirus

http://www.wales.nhs.uk/sitesplus/888/news/22377
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2012

More norovirus cases identified

By Emily Pearce
Tuesday, April 3, 2012

FURTHER norovirus cases have been identified at St Mary's Hospital during the past 12 hours, and the bug has also hit Isle of Wight schools.

There was just one suspected case at the hospital yesterday (Monday), a significant drop from six cases last week, but today's news suggests the infection remains in circulation and visiting restrictions are now in place.
An IW NHS spokesman said there had been three more cases identified at St Mary?s Hospital today.

NHS bosses have again urged people to help limit the spread of the infection and avoid bringing it into the hospital or nursing homes, particularly as one of the new cases was identified in a hospital patient infected by an ill visitor.
Chief nurse Carol Alstrom said: "I would like to advise members of the public not to visit St Mary?s unless it is essential.

"I would also strongly encourage parents to not bring young children in to the hospital to visit friends and family at this time as we know anecdotally that norovirus has been circulating in schools.

More...
http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/news/more-norovirus-cases-identified-43752.aspx
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2012

Norovirus stops visiting at Nuneaton's George Eliot Hospital

by Warren Manger, Coventry Telegraph
Apr 4 2012

GEORGE Eliot Hospital in Nuneaton has suspended visiting after an outbreak of a sickness bug.

Two wards at Warwick Hospital have also been quarantined after two suspected cases of norovirus.

And today University Hospital hopes to reopen a ward that was closed last week after being hit by the highly contagious bug.

Read More http://www.coventrytelegraph.net/ne...-eliot-hospital-92746-30687972/#ixzz1r4hKzdDk
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2012

Sickness bug closes Wirral ward to visitors

Apr 18 2012 by Helen Hunt, Heswall News

A WIRRAL hospital has closed one of its wards to visitors after an outbreak of sickness and diarrhoea.

Arrowe Park is restricting visiting ?temporarily? to ward 21 as a result of the highly infectious Norovirus.

A Wirral University Teaching HospitalTrust spokeswoman said the situation was being reviewed daily.

More...
http://www.wirralnews.co.uk/wirral-news/local-wirral-news/west-wirral-news/2012/04/18/sickness-bug-closes-wirral-ward-to-visitors-80491-30778736/
 
Re: UK - Norovirus cases 2012

Bournemouth hotel closed to stop sickness bug spreading

9:11am Tuesday 17th April 2012 in News By Harriet Marsh

A BOURNEMOUTH hotel has closed following a rise in cases of a vomiting bug.

Management at the Heathlands Hotel, in Grove Road, took the decision in a bid to stop the sickness and diarrhoea bug spreading.

A fog disinfection is being carried out at the 130-bedroom hotel after guests started falling ill last week, a Bournemouth Borough Council spokeswoman said.

Test results for norovirus would not be back for two or three weeks, the spokesman added.

Staff at the Heathlands, which is owned by Britannia Hotels, declined to comment on the move yesterday.

More...
http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/9652240.Bournemouth_hotel_closed_to_stop_sickness_bug_spreading/
 
Back
Top