Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

​Estimated 70 Deaths Linked To Canada's Heat Wave (July 2018)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ​Estimated 70 Deaths Linked To Canada's Heat Wave (July 2018)

Estimated 70 Deaths Linked To Canada's Heat Wave
    July 10, 20188:41 PM ET
    VANESSA ROMO

An estimated 70 deaths have been connected to the scorching temperatures and humidity that rolled over Canada's Quebec province last week, and officials say the number may rise as hospital and nursing home records are reviewed.

Most of the people who died as the region reached temperatures up to 95 degrees are elderly men and women living alone in apartments with no air conditioning, and many had chronic health conditions.

David Kaiser, a physician manager at the Montreal Regional Department of Public Health, confirmed to NPR that 34 of the deaths occurred in the city from June 29 through July 7. With few exceptions, he said, the people were over the age of 50, many between 65 to 85. About 60 percent were men and most had an underlying medical or mental health condition, Kaiser added.
    Most of the people who died are elderly men and women living alone in apartments with no air conditioning, and many had chronic health conditions.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Ontario investigating three potential heat-linked deaths
    Monique Scotti GlobalNews.ca

July 10, 2018 3:42 pm
    Ontario investigating three potential heat-linked deaths

THE CANADIAN PRESS IMAGES/Dominic Chan
    Ontario?s chief coroner says his office is investigating three deaths that may have been directly linked to the recent heat wave in eastern Canada.

As the number of heat-wave deaths soared to at least 70 in Quebec, officials in Ontario provided an update about the situation in their own province ? and provided a more thorough explanation of why the numbers in the two provinces differ so drastically.

Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Working...
    X