Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meningitis 2012: 2,482 dead in fifteen African countries

Meningitis: Over 740 dead since January in eleven African countries

DAKAR (AFP ? 2012) - More than 740 people died of meningitis since January in eleven countries of West Africa and Central affected by this disease, including Burkina Faso and Chad, said Wednesday the United Nations Office United for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs (OCHA).
    Thursday, April 19, 2012 | 12:50 UTC

"As of April 1, meningitis has killed at least 749 people and affected 8,667 people in West Africa and Central, a lethality of 8.64%," which was "somewhat decreasing," said in a bulletin Information Office of Ocha for this vast region, based in Dakar.

The same source, these data a total of eleven countries, all located in the "African meningitis belt" that extends sub-Saharan Africa from Senegal in the west to Ethiopia in the east. Burkina Faso and Chad are among the most affected.
    Twitter: @RonanKelly13
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Re: Meningitis: Over 740 dead since January in eleven African countries

Meningitis: gradual return to calm
    12,242 cases
    1,025 deaths
    While the meningitis season nears its end, the situation is gradually stabilizing. From mid-April, the number of new cases of meningitis reported every week in Burkina Faso began to decline and, since the epidemiological week 16 (April 16-22), no district was more at epidemic levels. Evolution is the same in other countries in the region: Benin, Ivory Coast, Togo, Ghana. With 553 deaths per 5,300 cases reported during the first four months of the year (weeks 1 to 17), Burkina remained by far the most affected countries in the region, with an average of 10.4% lethality, relatively constant. The rate is similar d'Ivoire, Togo, Ghana. With 553 deaths per 5,300 cases reported during the four neighboring countries (9.4% to 12.3% in Benin, C?te d'Ivoire).
    The second major epidemic outbreak in Chad also recorded a lull in early April, but still with nearly 400 new cases and 19 deaths during the week of April 8 to 15, while seven districts were in epidemic stage and four in alert. The data of the last two weeks of April were not available May 15 Mid-April, the cumulative number of cases since the beginning of the year was 2,828, including 135 deaths, a fatality rate of 4.8% much lower than that of all Burkina Faso - Togo-Ghana - Coast Ivory.
    Finally, Senegal and Gambia, who joined in April, the network monitoring enhanced meningitis, reported by 19 deaths per 589 cases and 6 deaths per 165 cases during the first four months of 2012.
    Humanitarian concern in Guinea Bissau
    Click image for larger version

Name:	meningitis.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	659086
    The views expressed are mine alone and do not represent the views of my employer or any other person or organization.

Comment

Re: Meningitis: Over 1,025 dead since January in eleven African countries

Sudan is reporting 275 cases and 13 deaths to week 15

Comment

Re: Meningitis: Over 1,025 dead since January in eleven African countries

For the most recent week with data, Ending May 6th, 428 cases and 45 deaths were reported. The 2012 totals follow;

Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	659115

Comment

Re: Meningitis: Over 1,495 dead since January in fifteen African countries

For the most recent week with data, Ending May 13th, 401 cases and 34 deaths were reported. The 2012 totals follow;

Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	659118

Comment

Re: Meningitis: Over 1,568 dead since January in fifteen African countries

For the most recent week with data, Ending May 20th, 222 cases and 13 deaths were reported. The 2012 totals follow;

Size:	49.6 KB
ID:	659172

Comment

Re: Meningitis: Over 1,593 dead since January in fifteen African countries

Weeks 21 and 22 both released this morning.

Week 21 saw 176 reported cases and 17 fatalities.
              Week 22 saw 199 new cases and 18 fatalities.

2012 totals;

Size:	56.8 KB
ID:	659208

Comment

Re: Meningitis: Over 1,690 dead since January in fifteen African countries

Week 23 04 TO 10 JUNE 2012
                247 cases and 21 fatalities reported.

Individual country stats at link, but total now 19,981 cases and 1,714 fatalities.

Comment

Re: Meningitis: Over 1,714 dead since January in fifteen African countries

WEEK 25, FROM 18 TO 24 JUNE 2012 saw 104 new cases and 7 deaths.

2012 totals;

Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	659733

Comment

Re: Meningitis: Over 1,732 dead since January in fifteen African countries

Week 26 FROM 25 JUNE TO 1ST JULY 2012
                    275 new cases and 15 fatalities reported.

2012 totals;

Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	659745

Comment

Re: Meningitis: Over 1,823 dead since January in fifteen African countries

EPIDEMIOLOGICAL SITUATION OF WEEK 31-35: FROM 30 JULY TO 02 SEPTEMBER 2012
                      1,874 new cases and 159 deaths reported.

Name:	MeningAf.PNG
Size:	58.3 KB
ID:	659935

Comment

Re: Meningitis: Over 1,989 dead since January in fifteen African countries

EPIDEMIOLOGICAL SITUATION OF WEEK 40-43: FROM 01 TO 28 OCTOBER 2012

Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	660015

Comment

Re: Meningitis: Over 2,252 dead since January in fifteen African countries

EPIDEMIOLOGICAL SITUATION OF WEEK 44-48: FROM 29 OCTOBER TO 02 DECEMBER 2012

Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	660094

Comment

Re: Meningitis: Over 2,282 dead since January in fifteen African countries

EPIDEMIOLOGICAL SITUATION OF WEEK 49-52: FROM 03 AU 30 DECEMBER 2012

833 cases & 69 deaths reported.

Name:	mening.PNG
Size:	62.1 KB
ID:	660398

Comment

Working...
                            X