No announcement yet.

Immunomodulatory Activity of Red Ginseng against Influenza A Virus Infection

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Immunomodulatory Activity of Red Ginseng against Influenza A Virus Infection

Nutrients. 2014 Jan 27;6(2):517-29. doi: 10.3390/nu6020517.
    Immunomodulatory Activity of Red Ginseng against Influenza A Virus Infection.
    Lee JS1, Hwang HS2, Ko EJ3, Lee YN4, Kwon YM5, Kim MC6, Kang SM7.
    Author information
    Abstract

Ginseng herbal medicine has been known to have beneficial effects on improving human health. We investigated whether red ginseng extract (RGE) has preventive effects on influenza A virus infection in vivo and in vitro. RGE was found to improve survival of human lung epithelial cells upon influenza virus infection. Also, RGE treatment reduced the expression of pro-inflammatory genes (IL-6, IL-8) probably in part through interference with the formation of reactive oxygen species by influenza A virus infection. Long-term oral administration of mice with RGE showed multiple immunomodulatory effects such as stimulating antiviral cytokine IFN-γ production after influenza A virus infection. In addition, RGE administration in mice inhibited the infiltration of inflammatory cells into the bronchial lumens. Therefore, RGE might have the potential beneficial effects on preventing influenza A virus infections via its multiple immunomodulatory functions.

PMID:
    [PubMed - in process]

Free full text

Ginseng herbal medicine has been known to have beneficial effects on improving human health. We investigated whether red ginseng extract (RGE) has preventive effects on influenza A virus infection in vivo and in vitro. RGE was found to improve survival of human lung epithelial cells upon influenza v …

Re: Immunomodulatory Activity of Red Ginseng against Influenza A Virus Infection

Nice find.
    Please do not ask me for medical advice, I am not a medical doctor.

Avatar is a painting by Alan Pollack, titled, "Plague". I'm sure it was an accident that the plague girl happened to look almost like my twin.
    Thank you,
    Shannon Bennett

Comment

Working...
    X