• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

UK - Manchester A&E unit temporarily shut over 2 suspected coronavirus MERS cases - ex-Middle East - July 27, 2015 - both negative

Gert van der Hoek

In Memoriam - Editor, Senior Moderator
july 27, 2015

Manchester A&E unit shut over suspected Mers outbreak



A suspected outbreak of Middle East Respiratory Syndrome temporarily shut a hospital's A&E unit in Manchester.

Two patients were tested for the condition which led to the closure of the emergency department at the Royal Infirmary, the hospital said.
A spokesman said the patients had been isolated for treatment and there was "no significant risk to public health".

Test results are being awaited but the NHS Trust involved confirmed the A&E department had since reopened.

A hospital spokesman said: "Both patients have been isolated for ongoing clinical treatment and management of their condition.

"One patient has now been relocated to North Manchester General."



Analysis by James Gallagher, health editor, BBC News

Mers is certainly a deadly and dangerous virus.

An outbreak in South Korea affected 186 people and led to 36 deaths. Out of the four cases seen in the UK, three died.
However, lift your finger off the panic button.

Firstly, suspected cases are relatively common. Since the last confirmed case in the UK more than two years ago, 314 people have been tested for suspected Mers and all were negative.

The virus struggles to spread from person to person. It needs very close contact and the primary threat is to family members and hospital staff, not the general public.
 
[h=2]July 27, 2015[/h] [h=3]UK: Local coverage of the Manchester MERS scare[/h] Via the Manchester Evening News: Manchester Royal Infirmary A&E patients tested for deadly virus: Re-read live updates. The updates started on Monday afternoon, UK time, and ran through the evening as blog posts and tweets; it's striking to see how little real information got out today.
About the only real developments in the item are the news that one suspected case has been moved to North Manchester General; the A&E at Manchester Royal Infirmary is open again (after a big cleanup followed on Twitter), and the two cases are indeed recent arrivals from the Middle East.

North Manchester General hasn't issued a news release about its new patient yet. When it does, you'll likely find it here. Royal Manchester Infirmary's media page is here. It reports the A&E is open again, but says very little about the patients.

hat tip crof

http://crofsblogs.typepad.com/h5n1/2015/07/uk-local-coverage-of-the-manchester-mers-scare.html





 
Back
Top