Pathfinder
Editor, Senior Moderator
U.N. death toll from Haiti quake reaches 61
21 Jan 2010 22:51:18 GMT
<!-- 21 Jan 2010 22:51:18 GMT ## for search indexer, do not remove -->Source: Reuters
<!-- U.N. death toll from Haiti quake reaches 61 --><!-- Reuters -->UNITED NATIONS, Jan 21 (Reuters) - The death toll for the United Nations in Haiti has reached 61, the greatest loss of life the world body has suffered from a single incident in its 65-year history, U.N. officials said on Thursday.
The number of U.N. workers killed by the Jan. 12 earthquake, which caused the organization's Haiti peacekeeping mission's headquarters and other buildings to collapse, involved 25 civilian U.N. workers, 24 military personnel and 12 police, spokesman Farhan Haq said.
Chief U.N. spokesman Martin Nesirky said that $207 million had been received toward an emergency U.N. appeal for aid funds, and $106 million pledged. He said the amount received so far was 36 percent of the requested sum of $575 million.
Separately, Nesirky was asked about media reports the Haitian government had rejected an offer from the Dominican Republic to send troops to Haiti. The two countries, which share the island of Hispaniola, have a long history of tense relations.
He said that, on the contrary, the Dominican Republic would be contributing to an enlarged Haiti peacekeeping force totaling 12,651 troops and police.
Read more at:
http://alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N2182640.htm
21 Jan 2010 22:51:18 GMT
<!-- 21 Jan 2010 22:51:18 GMT ## for search indexer, do not remove -->Source: Reuters
<!-- U.N. death toll from Haiti quake reaches 61 --><!-- Reuters -->UNITED NATIONS, Jan 21 (Reuters) - The death toll for the United Nations in Haiti has reached 61, the greatest loss of life the world body has suffered from a single incident in its 65-year history, U.N. officials said on Thursday.
The number of U.N. workers killed by the Jan. 12 earthquake, which caused the organization's Haiti peacekeeping mission's headquarters and other buildings to collapse, involved 25 civilian U.N. workers, 24 military personnel and 12 police, spokesman Farhan Haq said.
Chief U.N. spokesman Martin Nesirky said that $207 million had been received toward an emergency U.N. appeal for aid funds, and $106 million pledged. He said the amount received so far was 36 percent of the requested sum of $575 million.
Separately, Nesirky was asked about media reports the Haitian government had rejected an offer from the Dominican Republic to send troops to Haiti. The two countries, which share the island of Hispaniola, have a long history of tense relations.
He said that, on the contrary, the Dominican Republic would be contributing to an enlarged Haiti peacekeeping force totaling 12,651 troops and police.
Read more at:
http://alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/N2182640.htm