• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Tomas - Haiti: At least 20 people died, 30 000 people remain in shelters, 6 000 families homeless

Re: Tomas hits Haiti - First victim of the storm

Re: Tomas hits Haiti - First victim of the storm

Haiti - Tomas : Last Hour (2)

05/11/2010 11:11:41

Contacted by Ha?tiLibre, Edwin Parison Minister of Haitians Living Abroad, (MHLA) sends us this message: "Please keep informed. We pray hard to Haiti. I'm stuck in Miami back to the official activities on the diaspora in Paris and Montreal. Take care of yourself. God bless Haiti."

Civil Protection informs us that Leogane is flooded and reported 2 dead.

We are told that many rivers in flood in many areas.

[...]
Read more:
http://www.haitilibre.com/en/news-1585-haiti-tomas-last-hour-2.html

------------------------------------------------------

Haiti - Tomas : Last Hour (3)
05/11/2010 12:20:42

It is reported to us that in Les Cayes, the downtown was flooded. According to testimony, jail and hospital had been evacuated, but the situation is confused on the spot and this recent information should be confirmed.

Rivi?re Grise (West) is flloding and threatens the people living nearby.

The coastal city C?teaux, in the South was invaded by the sea, we do not have any assessment on the damage or victims. Inhabitants who had refused to evacuate are currently leaving the city as they can.

[...]

Read more:
http://www.haitilibre.com/en/news-1587-haiti-tomas-last-hour-3.html
 
Re: Tomas hits Haiti - First victim of the storm

Re: Tomas hits Haiti - First victim of the storm

Hurricane Tomas kills seven in Haiti


PORT-AU-PRINCE (Reuters) ? Hurricane Tomas soaked Haiti's crowded earthquake survivors' camps and swamped coastal towns on Friday, triggering flooding and mudslides that killed at least seven people.

The center of the storm had cleared Haiti's northern coast by nightfall and Haitian authorities believed the worst was over but meteorologists warned there was still a threat from ongoing rain.

"Now that, relatively speaking, Haiti has escaped the danger, we have to continue to be vigilant," Haitian President Rene Preval said at the presidential palace.

Four people died in the southwestern province of Grande Anse, two in South province and one at Belle Anse in South-East province, said Haiti's civil protection director, Alta Jean-Baptiste.

Scattered flooding was reported in the coastal towns of Les Cayes, Jacmel and Leogane.

In the capital Port-au-Prince, still scarred from a devastating January 12 earthquake, hundreds of thousands of homeless quake survivors huddled under rain-drenched tent and tarpaulin shelters in muddy encampments. The quake killed more than a quarter of a million people.

The United Nations and relief agencies have gone on maximum alert to prepare for the risk of another humanitarian catastrophe in the Western Hemisphere's poorest nation, which is already reeling from a deadly cholera epidemic on top of the widespread quake destruction.
...


http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20101106/wl_nm/us_haiti_storm
 
Re: Tomas hits Haiti - First victim of the storm

Re: Tomas hits Haiti - First victim of the storm

Last special Bulletin Saturday, November 6, 2010

Vigilance red rouge due to heavy rains of the National Risk Management
and Disaster (PNGRD)

Tropical Storm Tomas pulled away permanently from the
vicinity of the island of Haiti. It is moving over the Atlantic Ocean
near the Turks Caicos Islands.

Indeed, the center of Tropical Storm Tomas was located at
11 am this morning to 23.1 degrees north latitude and 70.6 degrees
west longitude or about 160 km north northeast of Grand Turk, 435 km
north north-east Cap-Haitien. Tomas is still moving toward the
northeast at 24 km / h. Tomas leaves behind a lot of moisture and
instability which can still generate rainfall especially in the
departments of the north, northwest, northeast and central highlands
and Artibonite.

Accordingly, the SPGRD keeps this Saturday, November 6, 2010
at 11 am am the red rouge alert level (ie risk of impact of severe to
very severe intensity) in the National Contingency Plan to threats of
heavy rain, floods and river flooding, landslides and floods
particularly severe in intensity for the departments of Artibonite,
North West, North and Northeast.

Taking into account the gradual improvement in the weather, the red
rouge alert issued across the country due to Hurricane Tomas will be
lifted tomorrow morning.

Note: The red rouge Vigilance remains in force but until tomorrow
morning mainly due to the rain and flooding and not in relation to
storm conditions.

CNM together with SEMANAH maintains the prohibition of
cabotage operations on the coast north until tonight but allows the
resumption of activities at the Gulf of Gonave and southern coasts of
Haiti.

The National Meteorological Center (NMC) in conjunction with
the CPD SPGRD and asking the public risk areas, remain vigilant and
strictly implement the following safety guidelines.

Instructions

o Stay in the shelter chosen not leave under any pretext and listen to
weather reports.
o Do not cross rivers in spate for any reason.
o Evacuate the areas prone to flooding and landslides: Seaside,
ravines, rivers and mountain sides

Next bulletin Sunday 07 novembre 2010, 10h am,.

Esterlin Marcelin, Pr?visionniste au CNM

http://www.meteo-haiti.gouv.ht/vigilance.php
 
Tomas - Leogane : At least 35,000 people affected by floods

Tomas - Leogane : At least 35,000 people affected by floods

Haiti - Tomas : News from regions after Hurricane
06/11/2010 10:20:34

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=left><TBODY><TR><TD>
g-1598.jpg
</TD><TD>
tr.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>The assessment of hurricane Tomas can begin. The evaluation work will likely continue for the next 48-72 hours, many areas are flooded, some areas are accessible only by helicopter, many roads are cut off after floods, landslides or mudslides. The helicopters of the American ship USS Iwo Jima, which was to intervene Friday saw all their flights cancelled because of high winds and heavy rains, according to Lt. Col. Chris Richie, which provides for the resumption of relief operations and evaluation today. It is too early to know the assessment in loss of life, material damage are important in certain areas, others seem to have been partially spared.

Floods in Gonaives are reported by MINUSTAH, reported that 25 to 35 centimeters of standing water in Raboto, K-Soleil, Jubilee, and at Parc Vincent. The Direction of Civil Protection (DPC) and local authorities have reported damage due to wind and heavy rain.

In the department of the West, a large quantity of homes were destroyed in Ti Guinea, Morregal, Gaston and in the communes of Petit Go?ve and Ocupid. The assessments are underway.

Based on preliminary assessments the damage are important in the agricultural sector in the municipalities of Corail, Anse D'hainaut, Pestel and Dame Marie.

[...]
Read more:
http://www.haitilibre.com/en/news-1598-haiti-tomas-news-from-regions-after-hurricane.html

--------------------------------------------------------------

Haiti - Leogane : At least 35,000 people affected by floods
06/11/2010 14:26:23

<TABLE border=0 cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 align=left><TBODY><TR><TD>
g-1601.jpg
</TD><TD>
tr.gif
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>The provisional and fast evaluation of the situation by Save the Children teams, estimates at 35.000 the number of people affected by the floods, caused by the passage of the Tomas hurricane. The assessment of material damage in the camps is ongoing. Recall that Leogane, [epicenter of the earthquake of January] about 90,000 people still live in tents or makeshift shelters.

The streets are now rivers in downtown and east of L?og?ne (the areas most affected). The huge volume of moving water, which is likely to wash sewage and rubbish around the town, will make conditions even more conducive to the deadly cholera bacteria.

[...]

Read more:
http://www.haitilibre.com/en/news-1601-haiti-leogane-at-least-35-000-people-affected-by-floods.html
 
Tomas - Haiti: At least 20 people died, 30 000 people remain in shelters, 6000 families homeless

Tomas - Haiti: At least 20 people died, 30 000 people remain in shelters, 6000 families homeless

Hurricane in Haiti 'leaves 20 dead'

(UKPA) ? 19 minutes ago

At least 20 people died when Hurricane Tomas brushed past Haiti, more than double the number initially reported, the country's civil protection department said.

Seven people remain missing and dozens were injured during the storm.

More than 30,000 people remain in shelters and Tomas left nearly 6,000 families homeless. Others, already homeless from the January 12 earthquake, lost their tents.

[...]
http://www.google.com/hostednews/uk...DdcMdageXgehcNC-A?docId=N0234651289233402314A
 
Back
Top