• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Tales of starvation and death in North Korea

Sally Furniss

Well-known member
Tales of starvation and death in North Korea

In North Korea an extremely rare conference of the country's Workers' Party is to take place next week. The last time there was such a meeting was 30 years ago.

It's believed this meeting may be laying the foundations for a transfer of power from Kim Jong-il to his son Kim Jong-un, so preserving the Kim family's grip on North Korea.

Getting independent news from North Korea is extremely rare but China correspondent Damian Grammaticas has travelled to the border to meet North Koreans who have recently escaped.


Much more plus video
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-11244825
 
Re: Tales of starvation and death in North Korea

N. Korea's food shortages to worsen due largely to floods
News Date: 8th September 2010


North Korea's food shortages are expected to worsen this year due largely to floods that swamped tens of thousands of hectares of farmland earlier this summer, a South Korean expert said Wednesday.

Kwon Tae-jin, a senior researcher at the Korea Rural Economic Institute, said in a telephone interview that he expects the North's grain harvest this year to be about 200,000 tons less than last year.

The impoverished communist state produced 4.1 million tons of grain last year, according to estimates of the South's state-run Rural Development Administration. Kwon estimated heavy rains that pounded the North from mid-July to early this month led to the loss of 37,000 hectares of farmland, citing news reports from Pyongyang.

"The direct damage from the flooding is expected to be 100,000 tons," he said, also blaming factors such as blight, low temperatures and a lack of fertilizer for the expected drop.

North Korea normally tallies up its grain production from September to October with the help of international relief agencies. The country, which is believed to need at least 5.2 million tons of grain each year to feed its

23 million people, has relied on international handouts since the mid-1990s when a massive famine, aggravated by natural disasters, swept the country.
http://www.businessghana.com/portal/news/index.php?op=getNews&news_cat_id=1&id=135047
 
Back
Top