hornblower
Moderator
http://www.greenwichtime.com/ci_12423363?source=most_emailed
Sixth-grader joined class trip where others developed fever
By Lisa Chamoff
Staff Writer
Posted: 05/21/2009 08:20:28 PM EDT
School officials Thursday confirmed the first known case of swine flu in a student, a day after 130 middle school students were sent home from a field trip in northwest Connecticut when many became ill.
The student with swine flu, whose name was not released, is a Western Middle School sixth-grader who was sick last week and tested positive for the flu last Friday. The state Department of Public Health confirmed Thursday that it was the H1N1 strain of flu that has been linked to at least 10 U.S. deaths and has closed more than 20 schools New York City.
The student, who had a mild case, was treated with antiviral drugs over the weekend, and then went on the five-day trip Monday to Nature's Classroom in Colebrook. The district was not aware that the child had been sick, Superintendent of Schools Betty Sternberg said at a news conference Thursday afternoon.
On Wednesday, parents of 19 children at Nature's Classroom who had fevers were told to bring them home. An additional 36 students complained of symptoms ranging from minor headaches to fever, and all students returned to Greenwich Wednesday night.
District officials advised parents of sick children to have them seen by their doctor before returning to school. The district did not close any schools, based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which discourages school closures unless "there is a magnitude of faculty or student absenteeism that interferes with the school."
Sternberg said 166 students, or slighty more than 30 percent, were absent from Western Middle School Thursday. Officials didn't know how many students at other schools were absent. Sternberg said the district couldn't determine which students were ill.
District spokeswoman Kim Eves said it was too early to tell whether the district administration would consider closing any school if a large number of students or staff did not show up today.
"At this point, we're taking this as it comes," Eves said.
The district knows of eight students who were tested for flu at Greenwich Hospital and the tests came back negative, Sternberg said.
"Numerous people have been tested through the Emergency Department and pediatric offices," Dr. James Sabetta, director of infectious diseases at Greenwich Hospital, said in a statement. "We're assisting the caregivers in Greenwich, the school system and the local and state departments of health in trying to definitively diagnose the situation at the school. We have specimens going to the state to see if we have confirmed cases of the H1N1 virus."
Tom Mahoney, director of the Office for Special Services at the town health department, said the student who tested positive for swine flu may not have been the source of the illnesses in the other students.
"It could be a coincidence," Mahoney said. "It could be any number of things that they experienced. They could have relatives or other friends who are ill. They could have eaten something that made them uncomfortable."
Many parents were frustrated by the district's response to the outbreak, saying they should have closed the school. They criticized communication, saying parents of fifth-graders at Glenville School, who share a wing with Western sixth-graders while Glenville is under construction, were not told about the illnesses and only learned about them from media reports.
Eves said the district acted as swiftly as possible.
While the district posted information on its Web site that evening, the information came too late in the day to send home letters, she said, adding that the district does not have e-mail addresses for every parent in the district.
"In terms of when we were able to confirm the facts Wednesday, we had to rush and prioritize which parents to get the information to," said Eves. "There wasn't any way to get hard information out to (the rest of the) parents."
Celia Fernandez drove up to Colebrook Wednesday to pick up her son Carlos, who had a headache and a low-grade fever. She said she was happy with the response to the situation.
"I was very pleased with the teachers up at Nature's Classroom," said Fernandez, president of Western Middle School's PTA. "They were very proactive. They were very good with my son. I felt like someone was caring for him."
-- Staff Writer Colin Gustafson contributed to this report.
-- Staff Writer Lisa Chamoff can be reached at lisa.chamoff@scni.com or 625-4439.
Sixth-grader joined class trip where others developed fever
By Lisa Chamoff
Staff Writer
Posted: 05/21/2009 08:20:28 PM EDT
School officials Thursday confirmed the first known case of swine flu in a student, a day after 130 middle school students were sent home from a field trip in northwest Connecticut when many became ill.
The student with swine flu, whose name was not released, is a Western Middle School sixth-grader who was sick last week and tested positive for the flu last Friday. The state Department of Public Health confirmed Thursday that it was the H1N1 strain of flu that has been linked to at least 10 U.S. deaths and has closed more than 20 schools New York City.
The student, who had a mild case, was treated with antiviral drugs over the weekend, and then went on the five-day trip Monday to Nature's Classroom in Colebrook. The district was not aware that the child had been sick, Superintendent of Schools Betty Sternberg said at a news conference Thursday afternoon.
On Wednesday, parents of 19 children at Nature's Classroom who had fevers were told to bring them home. An additional 36 students complained of symptoms ranging from minor headaches to fever, and all students returned to Greenwich Wednesday night.
District officials advised parents of sick children to have them seen by their doctor before returning to school. The district did not close any schools, based on guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which discourages school closures unless "there is a magnitude of faculty or student absenteeism that interferes with the school."
Sternberg said 166 students, or slighty more than 30 percent, were absent from Western Middle School Thursday. Officials didn't know how many students at other schools were absent. Sternberg said the district couldn't determine which students were ill.
District spokeswoman Kim Eves said it was too early to tell whether the district administration would consider closing any school if a large number of students or staff did not show up today.
"At this point, we're taking this as it comes," Eves said.
The district knows of eight students who were tested for flu at Greenwich Hospital and the tests came back negative, Sternberg said.
"Numerous people have been tested through the Emergency Department and pediatric offices," Dr. James Sabetta, director of infectious diseases at Greenwich Hospital, said in a statement. "We're assisting the caregivers in Greenwich, the school system and the local and state departments of health in trying to definitively diagnose the situation at the school. We have specimens going to the state to see if we have confirmed cases of the H1N1 virus."
Tom Mahoney, director of the Office for Special Services at the town health department, said the student who tested positive for swine flu may not have been the source of the illnesses in the other students.
"It could be a coincidence," Mahoney said. "It could be any number of things that they experienced. They could have relatives or other friends who are ill. They could have eaten something that made them uncomfortable."
Many parents were frustrated by the district's response to the outbreak, saying they should have closed the school. They criticized communication, saying parents of fifth-graders at Glenville School, who share a wing with Western sixth-graders while Glenville is under construction, were not told about the illnesses and only learned about them from media reports.
Eves said the district acted as swiftly as possible.
While the district posted information on its Web site that evening, the information came too late in the day to send home letters, she said, adding that the district does not have e-mail addresses for every parent in the district.
"In terms of when we were able to confirm the facts Wednesday, we had to rush and prioritize which parents to get the information to," said Eves. "There wasn't any way to get hard information out to (the rest of the) parents."
Celia Fernandez drove up to Colebrook Wednesday to pick up her son Carlos, who had a headache and a low-grade fever. She said she was happy with the response to the situation.
"I was very pleased with the teachers up at Nature's Classroom," said Fernandez, president of Western Middle School's PTA. "They were very proactive. They were very good with my son. I felt like someone was caring for him."
-- Staff Writer Colin Gustafson contributed to this report.
-- Staff Writer Lisa Chamoff can be reached at lisa.chamoff@scni.com or 625-4439.