• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Swine flu death toll rises as vaccine stocks start to run low

tetano

Editor, Senior Moderator
Only a few thousand swine flu vaccines are left in New Zealand and this year's death toll from the virus has risen to five.

Stocks of seasonal flu shots, which this year include protection against swine flu, were down to 8000 yesterday and were expected to run out by the end of the month.

The number of people falling ill to flu ? most likely the H1N1 strain ? has shot up in the past fortnight.

By yesterday, 332 people with lab-confirmed swine flu had been admitted to hospitals around the country, half of them in the past fortnight.

That included 46 people in intensive care units. The latest person to die from the virus was a 22-year-old Hawke's Bay man, who had an underlying health condition.

Two others ? a Christchurch woman, 44, and a Wellington man, 38 ? died on Sunday. The deaths followed those of a Northland man, 51, last month, and a Tauranga woman, 48, in June.

The Hawke's Bay man's death on Tuesday came just hours before an annoucement by the World Health Organisation that the swine flu pandemic was over and the world had entered a post-pandemic phase. However, New Zealand was singled out as still experiencing the effects of a second wave of the virus.

New Zealand levels of influenza-like illness were already higher than the 2008 flu season peak, though still less than half the level seen during the pandemic peak last year.

Health Ministry deputy director of public health Darren Hunt said Healthline took about 3000 calls from people with an influenza-like illness in the week to Wednesday.

There have been particularly high rates of the virus in pockets of the country that were less hard-hit last year. Wairarapa schools continued to report high numbers of school absences ? a trend that has spread to Hawke's Bay.

Many schools in the region reported yesterday that 10 to 15 per cent of children were absent because of illness.

More than a million people have had a seasonal flu shot this year ? a new record.

Despite the increasing levels of swine flu, Health Ministry immunisation director David Wansborough said there were no plans to order more doses of vaccine at this stage.

Another non-subsidised flu vaccine, Intanza, was also available for those who missed out on a ministry-funded flu shot.

The five deaths this year all mirror a pattern seen last year in which younger people were more likely to suffer severe symptoms.

Researchers have suggested that is because people aged 60 or over have some pre-existing immunity to swine flu because of a similar strain of influenza that circulated in the 1940s and 50s.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/dominion-post/national/4019576/Swine-flu-threat-very-real
 
Re: Swine flu death toll rises as vaccine stocks start to run low

Full story: http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/4048548/New-swine-flu-vaccine-ordered

New swine flu vaccine ordered as stocks run low
By LOIS CAIRNS - Sunday Star Times
Health authorities are bringing in a new vaccine for swine flu as the virus takes hold in the community and claims more lives.

With stocks of the existing vaccine running out, the Ministry of Health has been forced to introduce a new vaccine, Intanza, previously available only on the private market.

It has ordered 35,000 doses amid concerns that in a few weeks there will be none of the original vaccine left. The new vaccine is only suitable for adults aged 18 to 59.
...snip


The rising number of people with influenza-like symptoms was stretching health services, with Healthline handling more than 2000 calls from people with influenza-like illness in the past week. GPs too were continuing to see increasing numbers of people with influenza-like illness.

....

A rapid rise in H1N1 cases in Canterbury has prompted the district health board to implement its 2010 influenza strategy. Canterbury District Health Board chief medical officer Dr Nigel Millar said while the flu was having only a mild to moderate impact on Canterbury compared to other parts of the country, systems needed to be in place to ensure health services could cope with increasing numbers of sick people.

A tenfold increase in patients with flu-like symptoms has prompted Tauranga Hospital to set up two special patient assessment units, and other hospitals around the country are taking steps to ensure they can cope with a sudden influx of patients.

Christchurch GP Phil Schroeder said it was important people with flu symptoms contacted their GP as soon as possible as antivirals such as Tamiflu were most effective within 48 hours of symptoms starting
 
Back
Top