Shiloh
Editor, Senior Moderator
Source: http://www.observer.org.sz/index.php?news=10749
Three more people infected by malaria in Masini
29 January, 2010 10:00:00 By Faith Vilakati
FOLLOWING reports on the outbreak of malaria in Masini, Sidvokodvo under the Manzini region, three more people have been diagnosed with the disease.
Two of the infected people are from the same family while the other one is a neighbour. they were rushed to the Raleigh Fitkin Memorial Hospital, where they were treated early this week.
Theses three were identified when the Malaria Control Unit team were in the area following the death of a woman of Masini from the disease.
Two community meetings were conducted where the communities of emasisni and Dvumbe respectively were educated and reminded on the preventive measures for malaria, with further emphasis on seeking early treatment whenever they present with malaria signs and symptoms.
Malaria Control Programme Manager Simon Kunene confirmed the latest development. Kunene explained that they had also decided to re-spray the area so to help contain the situation. He said upon realising that most of the infected people were those whose homesteads were not sprayed late last year, they decided to carry out another spraying exercise in the affected communities.
The re-spraying exercise was conducted on Monday and Tuesday at Dvumbe and masisni communities. ?It was important to mobilise the communities to issue out messages on the importance of spraying for malaria prevention. This opportunity was further used to encourage the people on the use of the upcoming Long Lasting Insecticide Treated Nets (LLINs) which are to be distributed next month,? he said.
He explained that while conducting the educational tours in the area they realised that the community members were blank regarding the issue of malaria mainly because it had been a while since they came across such.
meetings
?We ran a number of community meetings where we discussed the issue and screened the people to gather if there were people who had the parasite and ensure that they receive treatment as soon as possible. We conducted the tests on the field and later transported the people to hospital,? he said. During the community meetings, Kunene said the people were more cooperative compared to the first time they visited the area to lecture them and spray their homes. He said in their first visit, some of the people were reluctant to have their homes sprayed while others gave out petty reasons why did not want to have their homes sprayed.
rushing
?Some of them told us that they were rushing to meetings while in other homes the officers would shout if there was a person but there would be no response and we had no alternative but to leave them. However, after the experience they had mainly on the lost of life and the people who fell sick, they began to co-operate,? he said.
discharged
Meanwhile, husband to the woman who a fortnight ago died of malaria was sometime last week discharged together with their child from the Raleigh Fitkin Memorial Hospital.
It was reliably gathered that they had already fully recovered such that they also attended the funeral of the deceased which was held over the past weekend.
Three more people infected by malaria in Masini
29 January, 2010 10:00:00 By Faith Vilakati
FOLLOWING reports on the outbreak of malaria in Masini, Sidvokodvo under the Manzini region, three more people have been diagnosed with the disease.
Two of the infected people are from the same family while the other one is a neighbour. they were rushed to the Raleigh Fitkin Memorial Hospital, where they were treated early this week.
Theses three were identified when the Malaria Control Unit team were in the area following the death of a woman of Masini from the disease.
Two community meetings were conducted where the communities of emasisni and Dvumbe respectively were educated and reminded on the preventive measures for malaria, with further emphasis on seeking early treatment whenever they present with malaria signs and symptoms.
Malaria Control Programme Manager Simon Kunene confirmed the latest development. Kunene explained that they had also decided to re-spray the area so to help contain the situation. He said upon realising that most of the infected people were those whose homesteads were not sprayed late last year, they decided to carry out another spraying exercise in the affected communities.
The re-spraying exercise was conducted on Monday and Tuesday at Dvumbe and masisni communities. ?It was important to mobilise the communities to issue out messages on the importance of spraying for malaria prevention. This opportunity was further used to encourage the people on the use of the upcoming Long Lasting Insecticide Treated Nets (LLINs) which are to be distributed next month,? he said.
He explained that while conducting the educational tours in the area they realised that the community members were blank regarding the issue of malaria mainly because it had been a while since they came across such.
meetings
?We ran a number of community meetings where we discussed the issue and screened the people to gather if there were people who had the parasite and ensure that they receive treatment as soon as possible. We conducted the tests on the field and later transported the people to hospital,? he said. During the community meetings, Kunene said the people were more cooperative compared to the first time they visited the area to lecture them and spray their homes. He said in their first visit, some of the people were reluctant to have their homes sprayed while others gave out petty reasons why did not want to have their homes sprayed.
rushing
?Some of them told us that they were rushing to meetings while in other homes the officers would shout if there was a person but there would be no response and we had no alternative but to leave them. However, after the experience they had mainly on the lost of life and the people who fell sick, they began to co-operate,? he said.
discharged
Meanwhile, husband to the woman who a fortnight ago died of malaria was sometime last week discharged together with their child from the Raleigh Fitkin Memorial Hospital.
It was reliably gathered that they had already fully recovered such that they also attended the funeral of the deceased which was held over the past weekend.