• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

South Carolina: 10 probable cases

thebes

Well-known member
http://www.thestate.com/154/story/765267.html

An independent Newberry school is closed today after 13 students and three chaperones returned from a trip to Cancun, Mexico with flu-like symptoms.

A message on the Newberry Academy's Web site (http://www.newberryacademy.com) says an announcement will be made by 3 p.m. on whether school will be closed tomorrow.

All of the students on the April 16-20 trip, plus two others who did not go but have since become ill, were tested yesterday at DHEC for the swine flu, a disease that has killed more than 80 people in Mexico and sickened dozens across the United States.


The students' samples were sent to Atlanta, and school officials hope to hear back today if the illness is the swine flu.

Twelve of the 13 students on the trip have been sick to some degree, said Robert Dawkins, the school's headmaster. Two went to the hospital, but were not admitted. One of the chaperones has had some flu-like symptoms, as have two other students who were not on the trip -- a junior and a senior.

Adam Roberts, an 18-year-old senior who plans to attend USC in the fall, was on the trip. He started feeling ill in the airport on the way back. At school the next day, he said, he felt terrible and slept through all of his classes.

"I went to the doctor and I had a 102 degree fever and my heart was beating out of my chest," Roberts said. "They tested me and told me I had pneumonia. I stayed out of school for a week and I was fine."

Late last week, some doctors in Chapin contacted Dawkins and said the students should be tested for the swine flu. Dawkins gave the doctors the students contact information, and all of them have cooperated, Dawkins said.

Dawkins said the tests and closing the school are just precautionary measures. One student who went on the trip was sick before she left, but decided to go anyway, Dawkins said. And one of the students who did not go on the trip became ill before the students got back.

"That made us think this might not turn out to be the swine flu," Dawkins said.

Since news of the school's closing became public this morning, Dawkins said he has not received any phone calls from concerned parents. The school's prom was Saturday night at the Mid-Carolina Country Club, and all of the students from the trip were there, Dawkins said.

Roberts said he and his friends are not concerned, and were even joking around while they were being tested yesterday. "Nobody's really freaking out that much," Roberts said. "We were just laughing and joking, 'Oh we brought back a disease, how funny.'"

Newberry Academy is an independent school with 250 students, Dawkins said. The school has 63 high school students, including 18 seniors.
 
Re: South Carolina - Newberry Academy Closed, Students Tested for Swine Flu

Re: South Carolina - Newberry Academy Closed, Students Tested for Swine Flu

http://www.thestate.com/local/story/766566.html


Newberry illnesses 'probable cases' of swine flu
Two Newberry flu cases are ?probable cases? of swine flu, the state health agency said today.


?Of the viruses sampled, two were type A, unsubtypable. That means, because this is a novel virus, we will assume that these two cases that were tested at the lab do have the new swine flu virus and these will now be considered ?probable cases,? so they are being sent to the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for further evaluation and testing,? said Dr. Jerry Gibson, chief of the Department of Health and Envirnomental Control?s Bureau of Disease Control.

?We expect that those who are sick to voluntarily isolate themselves for a short time, and those who were exposed should voluntarily quarantine themselves at home. DHEC will assure those in isolation will receive appropriate treatment.


?These steps are asked not only to help exposed and infected citizens, but also to protect others from exposure and illness, and to prevent further spread,? Gibson said. ?Isolation and quarantine are used to protect your family, friends, and others from the virus.?

Gibson said that you should wash your hands frequently, cover your cough and sneezes with your sleeve - not your hand - and if you have signs or symptoms of influenza, you should avoid crowds and if your symptoms become severe you should contact your health care provider.
 
Re: South Carolina - Newberry Academy Closed, Students Tested for Swine Flu

Re: South Carolina - Newberry Academy Closed, Students Tested for Swine Flu

Source: http://www.carolinalive.com/news/news_story.aspx?id=293397

DHEC update on swine flu sampling

Wednesday, April 29, 2009 at 11:27 a.m.

COLUMBIA, S.C -- A total of 10 probable cases of the swine flu virus has been identified in the state, the S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control announced Wednesday.

"Samples that are untypeable and considered probable cases are being sent to the national Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for further evaluation and testing," said Jerry Gibson, M.D., chief of DHEC's Bureau of Disease Control. "We expect that those who are sick to voluntarily isolate themselves for a short time and those who were exposed should voluntarily quarantine themselves at home.

"These steps are asked not only to help exposed and infected citizens, but also to protect others from exposure and illness, and to prevent further spread," Dr. Gibson said. "Isolation and quarantine are used to protect your family, friends and others from the virus."

Dr. Gibson said South Carolinians should wash their hands frequently, cover coughs and sneezes with their sleeve (not a hand), and if anyone has signs or symptoms of influenza, avoid crowds and if symptoms become severe, contact your health care provider.

There will be a media availability session today from noon to 1 p.m. at DHEC's Mills/Jarrett complex (Jarrett building at the old state hospital complex - enter the complex at the corner of Bull and Elmwood; right at the stop sign; right at the last parking entrance. There will be an update and opportunity for reporters to ask questions of staff from DHEC's Bureau of Disease Control. No appointment necessary.

Updates with audio from yesterday's session have been posted to: http://www.scdhec.gov/flu/swine-flu.htm.

We have also posted information on the Web regarding frequently asked questions to assist with your stories.

More information:

http://www.scdhec.gov/flu/swine-flu.htm

http://www.cdc.gov/swineflu/
 
Re: South Carolina: 17 probable cases

Re: South Carolina: 17 probable cases

Official: SC has 17 'probable' cases of swine flu

Associated Press - April 29, 2009 7:55 PM ET

NEWBERRY, S.C. (AP) - South Carolina health officials have identified seven additional "probable" cases of swine flu, bringing the total number to 17.Officials with the Department of Health and Environmental Control said Wednesday the agency is also investigating dozens of "suspected" cases of swine flu.

Suspected cases included people with flu-like symptoms who think they've been exposed, but haven't been tested. Health officials identify a case as "probable" when preliminary test results show a likely case of the illness.

The new cases announced Wednesday are all linked to Newberry County. A private school in Newberry closed because some students felt ill after a trip to Mexico, where there has been a breakout of swine flu.
http://www.wbtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=10275551
 
Re: South Carolina: 10 probable cases

More SC schools close as swine flu count jumps to 13
? The Herald
Updated 04/30/09 - 6:59 PM |

Newberry public schools will close Friday in the wake of an outbreak of swine flu at a private school nearby.
Officials in the school system, which includes Newberry High School and Mid-Carolina High School, decided to suspend classes as South Carolina health officials got confirmation today from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention of least 13 cases of swine flu in the state. The number of suspected cases is expected to grow.

The cases afflicted students and parents connected with the private Newberry Academy. Many of the students returned from Mexico earlier this month.

All the patients have recovered, said Dr. Jerry Gibson, chief of the S.C. Department of Health and Environmental Control Bureau of Disease Control.

At a noon news conference today, Gibson said the state had 13 more "probable" flu cases, including one from the Charleston area and several from the Upstate.

He said 130 people in S.C. were being given anti-viral drugs. Fifty-one are in isolation because of their exposure to those who have been diagnosed, and another 127 have been asked to put themselves in isolation, Gibson said.

There is a legal mechanism to require isolation, but there has been no need to invoke it at this time, Gibson said. Gibson expected more cases related to the Newberry outbreak to be confirmed in the next few hours.

The CDC today reported South Carolina's confirmed cases bring the national total to more than 100. Ten other states also have confirmed cases, including one today in Georgia.

A Greenville County school was closed today after students returned from Walt Disney World with symptoms. Those cases have yet to be classified. Gibson said he didn't think those students had the same strain of flu, and did not recommend that the school be closed. Still, those students are being tested.

http://www.heraldonline.com/109/story/1309389.html
 
Re: South Carolina: 10 probable cases

SC schools on high alert for swine flu

07:30 AM EDT on Friday, May 1, 2009

By MICHELLE BOUDIN / NewsChannel 36
E-mail Michelle: MBoudin@WCNC.com

ROCK HILL, S.C. -- There are now reports of more than 100 people sick in 17 states, including 13 confirmed cases in South Carolina. This news has many schools in South Carolina taking precautions.

All 13 cases are connected to a school in Newberry. The students from a private school went on a trip to Mexico and contracted the virus.

Thursday night parents of students started getting calls from the Rock Hill School District telling them about swine flu. Letters explaining to parents what to look out for also went out.

"We know parents are concerned and parents in Rock Hill want to know all they can," said Elaine Baker of the Rock Hill School District.

The district is also having teachers look out for any students that may appear to be sick.

"We also have one nurse at every school," said Baker.

There are no confirmed cases in North Carolina, but health officials say there are two "probable" cases.

Earlier Thursday, health officials in Mecklenburg County said a third suspected case tested negative. Five more people in the county are in isolation, awaiting test results.

The confirmed cases in South Carolina are linked to a trip to Mexico by Newberry Academy students.

"At 2:30 this morning we got a call saying there were a number of confirmed cases," said Dr. Jerry Gibson of South Carolina's Department of Health and Environmental Control.

The call came from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

"They are all associated with Newberry outbreak," Gibson said.

The private school, located near Columbia, S.C., has been closed all week because of the outbreak.

State health officials warned Thursday that the virus may not be isolated to that part of the state.

"It's going to continue to grow over the next week or so," Gibson told reporters at an afternoon news conference Thursday.

Gibson said there are several more probable cases in the upstate and Charleston.

"This is not a pandemic yet and it may not be. This is a brand new virus," Gibson said.

Back in North Carolina, state health director Dr. Jeffrey Engel said there are two "probable" cases of swine flu in the state and suspect specimens continue to pour into the lab.

Engel said one probable case was an Onslow County resident and a second probable case in a traveler who was in Wake County.

Specimens from those cases have been sent to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, which could confirm the cases in the coming days.

Engel said the Onslow County patient recently traveled to Texas. He had no information on the second case.

Engel said the state labs have received 235 samples to date, with 108 coming in on Thursday to be tested. He said 100 cases have tested negative for swine flu.

http://www.wcnc.com/news/local/stories/wcnc-050109-al-nc_swine_flu.ac08390.html?npc#
 
Back
Top