• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Scientists Want Bird Flu Report Withdrawn

prepdeb

Moderator
Scientists Want Bird Flu Report Withdrawn
UPDATED - Wednesday June 21, 2006 9:53pm


Chinese scientists said Wednesday that a man initially thought to have SARS actually died of bird flu in November 2003 - two years before the communist country reported any human bird flu infections on the mainland to the World Health Organization. At the last minute, the scientists asked without explanation to withdraw the report, but a medical journal had already printed it. The man's death in Beijing raises the possibility that other cases attributed to SARS may have actually been the deadly H5N1 flu.

"It's hard to believe that this is the only person in all of China who developed H5N1" that year, said Dr. John Treanor, a flu expert at the University of Rochester.

WHO was surprised by the report, which came not from the Chinese government but from eight scientists in a research letter in the New England Journal of Medicine.

"We will formally request the Ministry of Health to clarify this," and why it has taken more than two years to come to light, said Roy Wadia, a WHO spokesman in China.

At least one scientist e-mailed the journal Wednesday morning, asking that the report be withdrawn. With the article already in print, journal editors were waiting to see whether the authors would now retract the paper.

"We can't speculate" what the problem was, said journal spokeswoman Karen Pedersen.

The Beijing case does not necessarily mean the world faces any greater danger of a pandemic; bird flu does not spread easily from person to person, and nearly all human cases have involved close contact with infected poultry.

But the report raises questions about the ability and willingness of scientists in China to study the disease. During the SARS outbreak, some public health experts questioned whether the Chinese were being candid about the extent of the crisis.

Dr. Lindsey Baden, a New England Journal editor, said he does not know what caused the delay in reporting the Beijing bird flu case but suspects it took time for scientists to realize they had a novel H5N1 strain and to do the genetic sequencing needed to analyze it.

"It's to be praised that they are doing this kind of work and sharing it," Baden said.

Efforts to reach the Chinese scientists for comment were unsuccessful. They are from the Beijing Institute of Microbiology and Epidemiology, the 309th Hospital of the People's Liberation Army, the Beijing Genomics Institute and were led by Dr. Wu-Chun Cao at State Key Laboratory of Pathogens and Biosecurity.

Yoshihiro Kawaoka, a virologist from the University of Wisconsin-Madison and the University of Tokyo, said the Chinese may now be taking a look at other SARS cases to see whether they were bird flu.

It was not until 2005 that China reported its first human cases of bird flu outside Hong Kong. Eight infections and five deaths were recorded that year. So far this year, China has reported at least 10 infections and seven deaths.

The SARS outbreak began in China in November 2002 but was not recognized until the following spring. More than 1,450 cases of severe acute respiratory syndrome were confirmed, the vast majority in Asia. However, some were diagnosed not by lab tests but based on symptoms, which are very similar to those of bird flu.

The New England Journal report raises the possibility that the two dangerous viruses emerged simultaneously.

The patient, a 24-year-old man with pneumonia and respiratory distress, died four days after he was hospitalized in 2003, they reported. The main outbreak of SARS, occurred earlier that year and sporadic cases were still happening. Doctors initially diagnosed that as his cause of death. But tests failed to find the SARS virus.

Further tests of the man's lung tissue yielded fragments of a flu virus, the Chinese scientists reported. Genetic sequencing revealed it to be a mixed virus, with genes similar to two distinct types of bird flu seen in northern and southern China.

"It suggests to me that H5N1 infections were occurring in China probably not recognized or not detected maybe in the background of the SARS epidemic," Treanor said. "I don't know how you could interpret it any other way."

Bird flu crossed the species barrier to infect humans on at least three occasions in recent years: in Hong Kong in 1997 (18 cases with six deaths), in Hong Kong in 2003 (two cases with one death) and in a series of cases that began in December 2003 and was recognized in January 2004, WHO reports. In the last series, 225 cases and 128 deaths have been reported from 10 countries.

The two 2003 Hong Kong cases were strongly suspected to have resulted from a family's travel to mainland China, but this was never proved and there were no known poultry outbreaks of the disease at the time being reported in China.

The newly disclosed case in Beijing means "there may be more jumps from birds to people than we realized," said Baden of the medical journal.

http://www.katv.com/news/stories/0606/338301.html
 
Followup: Scientists Want Bird Flu Report Withdrawn

Followup: Scientists Want Bird Flu Report Withdrawn

Mystery swirls around Chinese birdflu timeline
Updated Sat. Jun. 24 2006 9:28 AM ET

Canadian Press

The mystery surrounding a report by Chinese researchers that contradicts Beijing's official line on how long China has been having human cases of H5N1 avian flu took a twist Friday that suggests someone may have tried to block the report's publication in a prestigious medical journal.

Hours before the official release of this week's issue of New England Journal of Medicine, editors at the journal received a series of e-mails from someone purporting to be Dr. Wu-Chun Cao, one of the authors of the report which had been submitted by eight Chinese scientists.

But on Friday, editors at the journal spoke by phone with someone they believe to be Cao. He categorically denied having sent the e-mails and told the journal he and his co-authors stand behind their report.

Cao, of the State Key Laboratory of Pathogens and Biosecurity, later faxed the journal a letter reaffirming those claims.

"He has not requested withdrawal of the report, and so it stands as published in the issue of June 22," Dr. Jeffrey Drazen, editor-in-chief, said in a statement.

"We are continuing to investigate."

The eight researchers reported on the molecular characteristics of an H5N1 virus isolated from a Chinese man who died in November 2003.

The report has stirred up intense interest in the scientific world because that was two full years before Beijing first reported a human H5N1 case to the World Health Organization, in November 2005.

The authors made no reference to the discrepancy between their report and China's official H5N1 timeline. Nor did they indicate whether the testing that discovered H5N1 virus in the dead man's lung was actually done around the time of death or more recently.

When the report was published the WHO's China office formally requested that the Chinese Ministry of Health explain the discrepancy and provide information about the case.

On Friday, a WHO spokesperson in Geneva declined to comment on the latest development.

Influenza experts outside China have long believed the country has hidden or missed human cases of H5N1, but they hadn't anticipated seeing proof in the pages of one of the world's most prestigious medical journals. China has officially reported 19 cases and 12 deaths.

A spokesperson for the New England Journal of Medicine said the journal had received "multiple" e-mails asking to withdraw the report. From the e-mail addresses, some seemed to be from Cao; others claimed to be from all eight authors.

"It seemed very clear that they were coming from Dr. Cao and/or that institution," Karen Pedersen said from Boston. Copies of the e-mails were also faxed to the journal.

But editors could not immediately reach Cao to explore why he wanted the report pulled and to explain it was too late - the journal had been printed and mailed to subscribers days earlier.

On Friday someone identifying himself as Cao called the journal and said he hadn't made the request and didn't want to withdraw the report. Pedersen said the journal editors believe that call was legitimate.

The editors asked Cao to submit a letter reaffirming that the report should stand, and they received that letter. Pedersen said the journal was in the process Friday of getting the remaining seven researchers to sign similar letters.

http://www.birdflubreakingnews.com/...24/mystery_birdflu_066024/20060624?hub=Health
 
Re: Followup: Scientists Want Bird Flu Report Withdrawn

Re: Followup: Scientists Want Bird Flu Report Withdrawn

prepdeb said:
Mystery swirls around Chinese birdflu timeline
Updated Sat. Jun. 24 2006 9:28 AM ET

Hours before the official release of this week's issue of New England Journal of Medicine, editors at the journal received a series of e-mails from someone purporting to be Dr. Wu-Chun Cao, one of the authors of the report which had been submitted by eight Chinese scientists.

But on Friday, editors at the journal spoke by phone with someone they believe to be Cao. He categorically denied having sent the e-mails and told the journal he and his co-authors stand behind their report.

Cao, of the State Key Laboratory of Pathogens and Biosecurity, later faxed the journal a letter reaffirming those claims.

"He has not requested withdrawal of the report, and so it stands as published in the issue of June 22," Dr. Jeffrey Drazen, editor-in-chief, said in a statement.

...On Friday someone identifying himself as Cao called the journal and said he hadn't made the request and didn't want to withdraw the report. Pedersen said the journal editors believe that call was legitimate.

The editors asked Cao to submit a letter reaffirming that the report should stand, and they received that letter. Pedersen said the journal was in the process Friday of getting the remaining seven researchers to sign similar letters.

http://www.birdflubreakingnews.com/...24/mystery_birdflu_066024/20060624?hub=Health

God Bless and protect these men. They are being courageous in a very difficult place and time.
 
Re: Scientists Want Bird Flu Report Withdrawn

A courageous and obviously very ethical man. May the Chinese see him as that, and stand behind him not in front of him with a gun. SMB
 
Re: Scientists Want Bird Flu Report Withdrawn

It seems the Chinese are investigating the report.....

http://www.terra.net.lb/wp/Articles/DesktopArticle.aspx?ArticleID=292905&ChannelId=19

China investigating potential human bird flu death in 2003: report

28/06/2006 6:20:00 AM

China is investigating the possibility that a man from Beijing died of bird flu in 2003, two years before the nation officially announced its first case, state media has reported.


China is investigating the possibility that a man from Beijing died of bird flu in 2003, two years before the nation officially announced its first case, state media has reported.

In a letter to the New England Journal of Medicine last week, eight Chinese scientists said a man aged 24 died in November 2003 from the H5N1 strain of bird flu, although it was initially blamed on the respiratory disease SARS.

China was at the time battling an outbreak of the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS), which killed 349 people in the country.
"The Ministry of Health heard about the new findings through the media and got in touch with the scientists this week," ministry spokesman Mao Qun'an was quoted as saying by the China Daily.

The ministry was organizing a retrospective investigation into the death, including laboratory tests and epidemiology research, the paper cited him as saying.

The outcome of the investigation will be released, Mao said, without giving a date.

The first human bird flu case China reported to the World Health Organization (WHO) was in November 2005. The nation has now 19 officially reported human cases, of whom 12 have died.

The Ministry of Health did not immediately respond to a request for comment Wednesday.

The WHO sought explanations from Beijing Thursday last week on the potential 2003 human case.

.
 
Back
Top