• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Papua New Guinea: Seven die in flu and dysentery outbreak

Gert van der Hoek

In Memoriam - Editor, Senior Moderator
People from Papua eat porc and chickens; reports that chickens are imported from Thailand or Indonesia.

Seven die in flu and dysentery outbreak
By JAMES KILA

SEVEN people have reportedly died following an alleged outbreak of flu and dysentery in remote Mobutasa village in Obura-Wonenara district, Eastern Highlands province, earlier this week.

According to Obura Wonenara district health officer Justin Wase, the seven deaths were reported by councillor Waipinase Nogiri on Monday.
The councillor walked over rugged terrains and rough gullies to reach Aiyura to report the matter to the district health authorities.

Mr Wase said from Mr Nogiri?s report, seven people had died within two weeks from diseases which had symptoms somewhat associated with flu and dysentery.

Mobutasa is only accessible by air. Although it is close to Aivondi in the Okapa district, it is politically in the Obura Wonenara electorate.

It takes about three days to reach the area from Obura Wonenara. The closest airstrip is also three days away from the village.

Mr Wase has reported the matter to the provincial health office in Goroka and has asked for a medical relief team to travel to the area to assess the situation.

The National unsuccessfully attempted to get comments from health services director Ben Haili in Goroka.In his report, Mr Wase said the relatively small population of Mobutasa could be wiped out by the epidemic.

He requested for a chopper to be hired for health officers to travel to the village.Mr Wase said half of the health facilities in the district were accessible only by air.

Of these, 60% are owned by the church health service.
He added that 65% of the rural aid posts were closed and about 80% of the maternal deaths were not reported.Furthermore, 78% of outreach clinic programmes in the district were not implemented.The report also stated that 85% of rural health facilities were not visited.

http://www.thenational.com.pg/101306/nation5.htm


credits Okieman, FW
 
Re: Papua Nw Guinea: Seven die in flu and dysentery outbreak

Re: Papua Nw Guinea: Seven die in flu and dysentery outbreak

3 days travel!, that is so remote, hopefully they will be able to get the people some medical supplies.
 
Re: Papua Nw Guinea: Seven die in flu and dysentery outbreak

Re: Papua Nw Guinea: Seven die in flu and dysentery outbreak

Dutchy,
The folks who got sick do not eat imported meat! ;)

There are two scenarios that really scare me, and I'm confident that both will transpire:

1. The folks in the bush will get seriously sick with H5N1 and the disease will increase its transmissability quickly in a setting unmonitored and un-seen by anyone but the eye of God. When those people start fleeing, instead of dropping dead on the spot, without leaving their huts and hovels, the virus will be fleeing along with them. The expanding waves will appear suddenly and will have reached population centers with the courtesy of the Christian air medical teams. The snake will have slithered out of the bush courtesy of the good people giving succor.

2. The folks who will further flee or just travel normally on airplanes, and who, like today's measles concern/crisis in Sydney, AU, will carry the then rapidly and efficiently transmitting disease to major first world metropolitan areas.

What answer can we post to this? I can think of only one...self preparation, self preservation, and continuing community heads up's.
 
Re: Papua Nw Guinea: Seven die in flu and dysentery outbreak

Re: Papua Nw Guinea: Seven die in flu and dysentery outbreak

Gaudia Ray...I think you are correct on both points.
If I have learned anything in my long life,it is that "human nature" tends to rejects "news" that is not comfortable or welcome.When you consider the worst-outcome scenario of h to h flu pandemic,is there any surprise that people mostly say "no,rubbish or I'll believe it when I see it?" Ironically,this denial process is arguably a defence system inbred to maintain survival.
I do not know the answers,but I do chew on the question.Meanwhile I store a few extra cans of chilli beans ,look at my beautiful 14 yr old daughter and think "she will be alright..anything else is out of the question". and so far,it is.
 
Seven die in flu and dysentery outbreak in Papua New Guinea

Seven die in flu and dysentery outbreak in Papua New Guinea

Sorry, dup, my start at FT appears less than impressive :)

I'll leave the MAP.
 
Re: Papua Nw Guinea: Seven die in flu and dysentery outbreak

Re: Papua Nw Guinea: Seven die in flu and dysentery outbreak

Thanks Okieman.
 
Re: Seven die in flu and dysentery outbreak in Papua New Guinea

Re: Seven die in flu and dysentery outbreak in Papua New Guinea

christian said:
Sorry, dup, my start at FT appears less than impressive :)

I'll leave the MAP.

You aren't the first...and won't be the last. ;)
Welcome!
 
Re: Papua New Guinea: Seven die in flu and dysentery outbreak

Papua New Guinea - People and Pigs

Three women in remote Mt. Bosavi and Walagu, in the Southern Highlands province [of Papua New Guinea (PNG)], have died after eating contaminated pork, while an estimated 1000 pigs are known to have died from an outbreak of an as yet unidentified disease. The pigs developed a swollen neck, flu and fever, and parts of their bodies were decaying causing them to die within days. Other animal species were reported to have died after developing similar symptoms and authorities fear the rivers and creeks are contaminated by dead animals. Mt. Bosavi and Walagu are located close to the border of the Western and Gulf provinces and are only accessible by air transportation. Over 16 000 people live in this remote area, which is 3 walking days from Moro, in Kutubu. Norman Kambo, Deputy controller of the State of Emergency, and Southern Highlands' provincial livestock expert, John Kunjip, were flown by a chartered Oil Search helicopter into Bosavi and Walagu to investigate the epidemic last Wednesday [14 Feb 2007]. Although no official diagnosis had been made at this stage, Mr. Kambo is fearful the disease could be the dreaded 'weapon anthrax' said to be caused by gunpowder poisoning. Mr. Kambo believes the disease may have been brought in by migratory animals from the Indonesian province of Papua, where poachers are known to be using guns to hunt animals. Similar cases have been reported in Western and Gulf provinces, where hunters have come across live animals with decaying limbs. In Walagu, the decaying intestines of a live pig were exposed and the stench was awfully unbearable, resembling the description related by sources familiar with weapons anthrax. Mr. Kambo said arrangements were being made with the acting provincial administrator, William Powi, to fly in livestock and health experts to collect human and animal blood samples for testing. The provincial administration would also assist by dispatching agriculture experts to collect water and crop samples for testing.

According to Jackson Honia, the local medical officer in Walagu, up to 200 people have complained of fever and were being treated with antibiotics, prompting fears the disease could be transmitted from animals to humans. The medical drugs at Walagu aid post have run out and Mr. Honia has made an urgent plea to the security forces and the Southern Highlands administration to bring in more medicine and food supplies for the people affected. He said the people cannot prepare sago [Sago is a powdery starch made from the processed pith found inside the trunks of the Sago palm Metroxylon sagu. Sago forms a major staple food for the lowland peoples of New Guinea and the Moluccas. - CopyEd.MJ] or go fishing and hunting because their food sources are contaminated. "We have a very serious problem and we need medicine and food supplies," he said. Mr. Kambo said he would consult the provincial administration, other relevant Government authorities, and the national disaster and emergency services to source out ways and means of assisting the people affected. He has also urged the villagers to bury dead animals in deep graves to prevent them from being exhumed by other scavenging animals. But the villagers in Mt. Bosavi and Walagu say there are too many pigs dying and the stench is just too much to bear. If the disease is preventable, the Department of Livestock in Southern Highlands province may attempt to carry out a vaccination programme in the area, buy they would need logistics [coordination] and manpower to effectively carry out the programme.

http://hisz.rsoe.hu/alertmap/woalert_read.php?id=9995&lang=eng
 
Re: Papua New Guinea: Seven die in flu and dysentery outbreak

There is an interesting comment in ProMedMail on the pigs, probably Anthrax.
The women who died probably not directly related with the illness in pigs, but indirectly.
 
Back
Top