• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Officials trying to identify "at risk" groups

kiwibird

Editor, Senior Moderator
Monitoring follows swine flu deaths
Newstalk ZB July 5, 2009, 5:29 am

A Hamilton teenager with swine flu died at home without being diagnosed with the illness.

Health officials are closely monitoring severe swine flu cases with a view to identifying which parts of the community are most at risk. People with flu symptoms are being warned to remain vigilant.

Three people under the age of 50 confirmed as having the virus have died, and it's believed swine flu was a major contributing factor in at least two of them. Almost 1,000 cases of the virus have been confirmed in New Zealand since the outbreak began.

Director of Public Health Dr Mark Jacobs says it is important they learn if there are any groups of people who are particularly vulnerable. He says if that is the case, public health information needs to be targeted at them.

Dr Jacobs says anybody with flu symptoms who also has an underlying medical condition should talk to a doctor.

Waikato Medical Officer of Health Dr Felicity Dumble says the family of one of the three people who died - 19-year-old Hamilton man Zachary Wilson - want people to be aware just how quickly the disease can progress. She says people can start out with what looks like a common cold, which then develops into influenza, becoming life threatening in a short time.

Dr Dumble says Mr Wilson had a history of asthma, but it is not clear whether that was a factor in his death.
http://nz.news.yahoo.com/a/-/latest/5702941/monitoring-follows-swine-flu-deaths/
 
Re: Officials trying to identify "at risk" groups

New Zealand has recorded its first fatalities from swine flu, with three people believed to have died from the virus in the past week.

The first death was 19-year-old Hamilton teenager Zachary Wilson, who died at home last Sunday. A 42-year-old Christchurch man died at home on Thursday, and an eight-year-old girl died in Wellington Hospital yesterday.

Chief Coroner Neil MacLean said it was "strongly probable" that swine flu was a major factor in the deaths of the men, and the girl had earlier tested positive to the virus.

It appears all three had underlying medical conditions. Wilson had asthma, the Wellington girl reportedly had cerebral palsy. Health officials would not reveal the Christchurch man's other health issues.

The fatalities have prompted Heath Minister Tony Ryall to warn people to prepare for more deaths, while at the same time issuing a call for calm.

"There is no cause for alarm because we are seeing what was to be expected; that is that some people would have very severe illness and some would die," Ryall said.

"There is no need for people to be alarmed because what we know from around the world is that the vast majority of people with the flu will be mild and most will recover at home without any medication, but for some it will be severe and a smaller number will be affected very tragically."

Up to 400 Kiwis died from seasonal influenza every year and it was expected swine flu would be around for up to two years, he said.

Zachary Wilson's father told the Sunday Star-Times the family was devastated at his death and struggling to come to terms with it. The family wanted people to know that swine flu could develop rapidly and without warning, and urged people to seek medical help early.

Wilson had asthma and it is thought that may have contributed to his death, as people with ongoing medical conditions are at risk of developing more severe symptoms. However, the virus had developed rapidly over just three days until he became extremely ill. Wilson died at home last Sunday without being hospitalised or tested for swine flu. It wasn't until an autopsy was carried out that swine flu was raised as a possible cause of his death.

Wilson had been cared for by family members, who had sought treatment for him. They have since been tested and offered a course of Tamiflu. His workmates were also likely to be contacted by health officials.

Waikato District Health Board medical officer of health Dr Felicity Dumble said whereas serious cases of seasonal influenza generally affected older people, it appeared swine flu was also targeting the young. She also said higher numbers of sufferers than usual were expected this winter.
Ad Feedback

Director of public health Mark Jacobs said there was no need for New Zealand health authorities to change their management approach at this stage, but vigilance would remain high.

"For most New Zealanders, swine flu will be a mild illness, but in some instances, the infection can cause more severe illness and, in a few tragic instances, death," he said.

The number of confirmed cases yesterday stood at 945, with another 61 probable cases.

Jacobs said the only thing certain was that more people would be infected with swine flu.

"Exactly how many people will become seriously ill and how it compares to previous pandemics, we just can't tell, but so far it's looking more like a moderate pandemic.

"There is obviously a lot we don't know about swine flu and what's going to happen with it, but we are very certain we are going to see a lot more cases.

"Even if the majority of cases continue to be mild to moderate, we would expect a small proportion to be more severe."

The Ministry of Health's advice to avoid swine flu and care for the sick remains the same maintain good hygiene habits and prepare for being sick, looking after a sick relative, or covering for sick work colleagues.

Most patients will experience mild to moderate symptoms requiring bed rest and paracetamol. But sufferers with underlying health problems or whose condition deteriorates rapidly should ring a doctor or Healthline on 0800611-116.

-By SUSAN PEPPERELL and GRAHAME ARMSTRONG
http://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health/2565855/Health-bosses-warn-more-will-die
 
Re: Officials trying to identify "at risk" groups

http://tvnz.co.nz/health-news/swine-flu-deaths-prompt-call-vigilance-2828331
Asthmatics and patients with respiratory conditions are being urged to be extra vigilant in light of New Zealand's first deaths from the H1N1 swine flu virus.

Three New Zealanders have died after contracting swine flu in the past week, one of them confirmed as an asthma sufferer.

Eight hundred thousand New Zealanders suffer from some kind of respiratory illness and one in four children has asthma. And while most of the population who get swine flu will suffer only a mild to moderate illness, some suffering from these illnesses may potentially be hit harder.


This concern comes after the death of 19-year-old Hamilton man Zachary Wilson, who was asthmatic. He died at home and never had swine flu diagnosed before his death last Sunday. It was an illness which took hold and progressed quite quickly.

Doctors are reminding those with asthma or emphysema to be extra vigilant with their medication and monitoring of their conditions if they get flu in the weeks to come.


The number of confirmed cases of swine flu in New Zealand is approaching the 1000 mark, with 961 cases on Sunday. However, with less monitoring on a Sunday, that's apparently a very conservative figure. The real spread of the virus is thought to be at least 10 times that figure.

Meanwhile calls to healthline have rocketed since ONE News on Saturday night reported the deaths. A record 2000 calls, 40% higher than normal, shows that now there are deaths occurring there's more concern in the community.

Health officials stress there is no cause for alarm and that most people will be able to recover from swine flu quite adequately at home. There are 400 deaths each winter from seasonal flu which puts some perspective on the deaths from swine flu.
 
Back
Top