• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

NZ - Visitor restrictions imposed at hospitals

DazzaMc

Well-known member
Visitor restrictions imposed at hospitals

Middlemore hospital in South Auckland is restricting visitors, particularly children, as it copes with swine flu and other flu-like illnesses.

The restrictions take effect from Friday.

Counties Manukau District Health Board says there are to be no more than two visitors per patient in wards and only one visitor per patient in the emergency department.

The DHB says visiting must take place only during visiting hours and children should not visit at any time.

The rule applies to Middlemore hospital and the Manukau surgical centre.

Chief medical officer Don Mackie says the restrictions are to limit the number of people who are exposed to others with swine or seasonal flu.

Radio New Zealand]'s health correspondent says Middlemore has seven patients with swine flu and 30 others with flu-like symptoms. The hospital says it is extremely busy, but coping.

Hawke's Bay hospital also says it will strictly enforce visiting hours and limit the number of visitors per patient to two. Non-urgent surgery will resume next week but will be under daily review.

Wellington hospital - which is operating at full capacity - says anyone who visits with flu symptoms will be asked to leave.

Six deaths in New Zealand have been linked to swine flu.

Flu epidemics reached in some areas
Wellington, Taupo and Rotorua are experiencing flu epidemics according to the National Influenza Centre.

A weekly flu report from the centre says flu rates are highest among children and teenagers.

Sue Huang says it shows an alarming rise in the number of people with flu symptoms. Doctors are reporting their highest figures in 10 years.

She says about 80% of people with flu in the week to 5 July had swine flu rather than seasonal flu.

Weekly influenza reports are compiled each winter for the Environmental Science and Research agency.

Dr Huang says they are particularly important this year because of swine flu.

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/stories/2009/07/10/1245bba3d788
 
Re: NZ - Visitor restrictions imposed at hospitals

Hospital visitors killing time in waiting rooms and outpatient clinics will have to take their own dog-eared copies of Woman's Weekly during the swine flu pandemic.

A Capital and Coast District Health Board spokesman confirmed that all magazines and children's toys had been binned to stop the spread of swine flu. Some GP clinics and community pathology laboratories have followed suit.

"We're trying to do everything we can to reduce the possibility of transmitting infection, and magazines and toys that come into contact with an infected person represent a potential area of risk."

A 17-year-old girl, one of 19 Wellington Hospital patients with the virus, remained in a serious condition in intensive care yesterday. A 31-year-old woman, who was in intensive care for three weeks, is now in a general ward.

The national tally hit 1431 yesterday, up from 1272 the day before. It includes six swine flu deaths.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/world/swine-flu/2580820/BYO-waiting-room-entertainment
 
Back
Top