Shiloh
Editor, Senior Moderator
Source: http://hamptonroads.com/2009/08/three-residents-st-marys-home-confirmed-swine-flu
Three residents of St. Mary's home confirmed with swine flu
Posted to: Health and Medicine News Norfolk Swine Flu
By Elizabeth Simpson
The Virginian-Pilot
? August 25, 2009
NORFOLK
Three residents at St. Mary?s Home for Disabled Children have been confirmed with the swine flu, also known as the H1N1 virus.
William Giermak, CEO of St. Mary?s, said the three residents, aged 10, 12 and 17, began to show signs of the flu last week. Norfolk health officials took samples on Friday and confirmed Monday afternoon that they had contracted the swine flu virus.
Two of the residents were sent to Children?s Hospital of The King?s Daughters, one last Thursday and the other on Saturday. The third resident is being treated at St. Mary?s. That resident has been isolated from other residents. Spokeswoman Sonja Barisic said the 10-year-old resident was discharged from CHKD today and is returning to St. Mary?s.
The residential center has been taking precautions all year to limit exposure of their residents to the swine flu virus. The residents? young age and underlying health conditions put them at greater risk of complications of the flu. Visitors and employees are screened for flu symptoms, for instance, and center officials are limiting groups who come to visit the center.
Residents who used to go to public schools are being taught at the center instead of being bused to schools this fall. Also residents who used to go to summer camps stayed at the facility this summer to keep them from being exposed to the virus.
Giermak said parents and family members of all residents are being informed of the three cases.
Three residents of St. Mary's home confirmed with swine flu
Posted to: Health and Medicine News Norfolk Swine Flu
By Elizabeth Simpson
The Virginian-Pilot
? August 25, 2009
NORFOLK
Three residents at St. Mary?s Home for Disabled Children have been confirmed with the swine flu, also known as the H1N1 virus.
William Giermak, CEO of St. Mary?s, said the three residents, aged 10, 12 and 17, began to show signs of the flu last week. Norfolk health officials took samples on Friday and confirmed Monday afternoon that they had contracted the swine flu virus.
Two of the residents were sent to Children?s Hospital of The King?s Daughters, one last Thursday and the other on Saturday. The third resident is being treated at St. Mary?s. That resident has been isolated from other residents. Spokeswoman Sonja Barisic said the 10-year-old resident was discharged from CHKD today and is returning to St. Mary?s.
The residential center has been taking precautions all year to limit exposure of their residents to the swine flu virus. The residents? young age and underlying health conditions put them at greater risk of complications of the flu. Visitors and employees are screened for flu symptoms, for instance, and center officials are limiting groups who come to visit the center.
Residents who used to go to public schools are being taught at the center instead of being bused to schools this fall. Also residents who used to go to summer camps stayed at the facility this summer to keep them from being exposed to the virus.
Giermak said parents and family members of all residents are being informed of the three cases.