• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Newfoundland and Labrador records fifth swine flu death

Pathfinder

Editor, Senior Moderator
Newfoundland and Labrador records fifth swine flu death


<DL class=author><DD class="date published">Published on November 9th, 2009 </DD></DL>ST. JOHN'S, N.L. - Health officials in Newfoundland say a fifth person has died from swine flu.

The health authority in central Newfoundland says the latest victim is a 69-year-old woman from the region. Earlier in the day, health officials confirmed that a 48-year-old man from the region had become the province's fourth resident to die of swine flu.

He died yesterday.

The province's third victim of the H1N1 virus died on the weekend - a 63-year-old woman from St. Anthony with multiple, underlying medical conditions.

http://www.mjtimes.sk.ca/Canada---W...-and-Labrador-records-fifth-swine-flu-death/1
 
Re: Newfoundland and Labrador records fifth swine flu death

H1N1-related deaths climb to 5 in N.L.

Review planned for central area where 4 of the victims lived

Last Updated: Monday, November 9, 2009 | 2:14 PM NT

CBC News


nl-karen-mcgrath.jpg
Central Health CEO Karen McGrath confirmed Monday, Nov. 9, 2009, that another person in central Newfoundland had died from H1N1-related illness. (CBC)


Health officials in Newfoundland and Labrador confirmed Monday that a fifth person in the province has died from swine flu-related illness.

Eastern Health said the woman, a 69-year-old from central Newfoundland, died late Sunday. A release from the health authority said the woman had other health problems that put her at risk of complications from the H1N1 virus.

Earlier in the day, Central Health CEO Karen McGrath confirmed a 48-year-old man died Sunday afternoon of complications from an H1N1 infection.

She said he was in hospital for several days being treated for influenza, and on a ventilator in the intensive care unit when he died. However, McGrath said the man was otherwise healthy.

"In this case, we do not know of any underlying [medical] conditions."

The latest death, the fifth in the province in little more than a week, is the fourth in central Newfoundland, and McGrath said that has prompted a review by the health authority.

According to health officials, the 48-year-old is the only one of the five who didn't have an underlying medical condition.

"We have contacted the Newfoundand Centre for Health Information and are going to work with some epidemiologists, so that's one thing we're doing," McGrath said.

Both McGrath and officials from Eastern Health offered condolences from the health authority and the staff who cared for the patients.

"Our thoughts and prayers are with this gentleman?s family and friends,"
McGrath said of the death of the 48-year-old.

Central Health isn't saying whether he died at the hospital in Grand Falls-Windsor or Gander.

The other deaths related to H1N1 include a 63-year-old woman from Labrador who died Saturday, and a woman, 36, and man, 40, who both died last week.


http://www.cbc.ca/canada/newfoundland-labrador/story/2009/11/09/nl-swine-fourth-091109.html
 
Back
Top