• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Netherlands Antilles - First H1N1 case in St Eustatius

Gert van der Hoek

In Memoriam - Editor, Senior Moderator
First H1N1 flu case confirmed in Statia

ST. EUSTATIUS--A 25-year-old male who visited Statia from the United States on June 28 is the island?s first confirmed H1N1 flu virus case.

National Epidemiologist Dr. Izzy Gertzenbluth said Monday the patient is now fully recovered after a period of isolation. He said the patient had developed symptoms the day before leaving the United States and contacted his house doctor two days after visiting the island. He was immediately requested to go in confinement.

Samples were taken and sent to the Netherlands. The samples returned positive on Saturday.

Gertzenbluth said all Netherlands Antilles islands were following the same protocol to prevent the spread of the flu virus.

In the meantime, Statia health officials, Dr. George Odongo and Carol Jack of the Health Department, also confirmed the case and said the patient had recuperated.

Public Health official Rachel Carty also gave preventative information to residents via the local radio station. Carty said the necessary precautionary measures were being applied.

Authorities advise anyone who had travelled to the United States, Mexico, or any country with confirmed cases, or anyone who had been in close contact with a confirmed case and was displaying symptoms to call their house doctor or the public health department on 318-2211, 318-2371, or 318-2981. Residents should not visit the hospital. The symptoms are similar to that of the common flu.

Residents were also advised to follow safe hygiene practises such as washing hands frequently with warm water and soap, covering their mouth and nose when coughing and properly disposing of tissues. The use of alcohol-base hand cleansers was also promoted.

Reports indicated that the news of the first H1N1 case came as a shock to some residents.

http://www.thedailyherald.com/news/daily/m043/flum043.html
 
Back
Top