Re: More NYC deaths reported
The swine flu virus has claimed the lives of two more people in
New York City, raising the total number of fatalities to seven, according to New York City Health officials.
<SCRIPT language=javascript type=text/javascript src="http://www.nbcnewyork.com/includes/nbc_slideshow.js"></SCRIPT><SCRIPT language=javascript type=text/javascript src="http://www.nbcnewyork.com/includes/jquery_scrollTo_1-4-0.js"></SCRIPT><LINK rel=stylesheet type=text/css href="http://www.nbcnewyork.com/templates/nbc_slideshow.css"><SCRIPT type=text/javascript> $(document).ready(function(){ $('#jqm_wrp_2') .jqDrag('.jqDrag') .jqm({ trigger: '#sseTrigger_2', ajax: 'http://www.nbcnewyork.com/i/dispatcher/?command=LoadSlideshow&id=43907637§ionId=333229&path=/news/local&viewer=modal', target: '#jqm_cont_2', overlay: 0, onShow: function(h) { h.w.css('opacity',1).fadeIn("fast"); }, onHide: function(h) { h.w.fadeOut("fast",function() { if(h.o) h.o.remove(); }); } }); }); </SCRIPT>Photos: Swine Flu Outbreak Worldwide
View Slideshow
Swine flu cases are erupting worldwide. The WHO raised the alert level to a phase 5, one level short of declaring a full pandemic.
<!-- end of 'storyMedia3' -->
The two newest cases involve adults between the ages of 25 and 64.
City officials said most of the seven fatal cases involved people with underlying risk factors,
implying that at least one person without underlying health risks succumbed to the virus.
All patients presenting with flu symptoms are presumed to have the H1N1 virus because tests are finding very little garden variety flu at this time.
Hospital visits have declined, from their peak on May 25, according to sources, but there are still more people than usual visiting emergency rooms at this time of year.
The city's surveillance found the swine flu disproportionately affected children under the age of 18, but now it's broadened out to include more adults, according to an official document obtained from health officials.
The grim news comes just two days after health officials said the death of a
Bronx child was swine flu related.
The Health Department did not release the child's name or say what borough the child lived in. However,
the New York Daily News identified the child on Monday as 11-week-old
Steven Montanez of the Bronx.
The family said the baby had the flu when his aunt found him unconscious last Thursday, according to
The News. The swine flu outbreak hit New York City in April.
Overall, the vast majority of swine flu cases are still said to be mild, and non-life threatening, according to the Health Department.
The first four people who died of the virus in New York City ranged in age from 34 to 55. Two more city schools announced Tuesday they're closing because of the swine flu outbreak.
PS 15 and the PAVE Academy Charter School, which share a building in the
Red Hook section of
Brooklyn, will be closed for the rest of the week. At least 20 students there have been out with flu-like symptoms so far this week.
The schools will re-open on Monday. PS 209 in the Bronx announced last night that it was closing its doors for the rest of the week.
Health officials have confirmed 114 cases of swine flu in New Jersey and 20 probable cases.
<!-- add editorial related content --><!-- add editorial related content --><!-- display editorial related content -->
Related Stories
School 28 in Paterson is closed Wednesday after an early dismissal on Tuesday because more than 100 students were reported absent. A large number of students exhibited flu-like symptoms, but no cases were confirmed.
No one has died from swine flu in New Jersey.
The World Health Organization says the disease has reached 64 countries and infected nearly 19,000 people, causing 117 deaths.
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/NYC-Swine-Flu-Deaths-Jump-to-7-Source.html