• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Measles outbreak in Johannesburg prison

Rwilmer

Well-known member
Measles outbreak in Joburg prison
Oct 25, 2009 9:45 PM | By NIVASHNI NAIR

As 1135 cases of measles have been confirmed in South Africa - 1034 of them in Gauteng - and laboratory tests yesterday confirmed an outbreak in Johannesburg Prison.


Gauteng Health spokesman Mandla Sidu said eight prisoners, who were admitted to Soweto's Baragwanath Hospital last week, have measles.

"The situation will have to be assessed to stop the spread of the epidemic in the facility. In the meantime, we will continue to roll out our immunisation campaign," he told The Times yesterday.

Last week, the Department of Correctional Services immunised babies and toddlers staying with mothers incarcerated in the prison's women's section.

The Gauteng Health Department has over the past few weeks been conducting a measles vaccination campaign at creches and schools in the province.

"The immunisation drive has been going well, but we are still calling for parents to make sure that their child is taken for the vaccine because measles can be fatal if not treated," Sidu said.

The Health Ministry confirmed four deaths from measles since the beginning of September, including a 56-year-old woman and children aged four and two, and a baby aged seven months.

During the first eight months of this year there were 48 cases of measles in Gauteng, but this has shot up to 1034 since September.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/news/article166110.ece
 
Back
Top