Malaysia confirms Sabah man, 61, is country's 2nd Zika case, and 1st locally transmitted one
PUBLISHEDSEP 3, 2016, 4:24 PM SGT
PETALING JAYA (THE STAR/ASIA NEWS NETWORK/REUTERS) - Malaysia has recorded first locally transmitted case of the Zika virus, and second case overall.
Health Ministry director-general Noor Hisham Abdullah said the patient is a 61-year-old Dusun male from Taman Public Jaya Likas, Sabah.
...
The patient developed a fever on Aug 27 and sought medical attention for the first time at the Luyang Health Clinic on Aug 30.
The man sought further treatment at the Queen Elizabeth Hospital 2 the next day when he experienced worsening fever, muscle aches and diarrhoea.
The patient's blood and urine samples tested positive for Zika, but his serious clinical condition could be due to existing health afflictions and not primarily due to the Zika virus.
...
http://www.straitstimes.com/asia/se...cial&utm_source=Facebook#link_time=1472891306
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
| Sun Sep 4, 2016 4:25am EDT
Malaysia expects more Zika cases as virus spreads in Southeast Asia
By A. Ananthalakshmi | KUALA LUMPUR
Malaysia is bracing for more Zika cases, officials said on Sunday, after detecting the first locally infected patient, which could further stretch a health system struggling with dengue, another mosquito-borne virus that can be fatal.
...
Three days ago, Malaysia reported its first Zika infection - a woman living near Kuala Lumpur who contracted the virus during a visit to Singapore.
On Saturday, Malaysian authorities said they had detected the first local infection: a 61-year-old man in the city of Kota Kinabalu, in the Malaysian part of Borneo island.
"The confirmation of the second case of Zika in Kota Kinabalu suggests that the virus is already present within our communities," Health Minister Subramaniam Sathasivam said.
...
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-zika-malaysia-idUSKCN11A0C6
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Source:
https://www.facebook.com/kementeriankesihatanmalaysia
Datuk Seri Dr S. Subramaniam
Yesterday at 10:15am ?
The confirmation of the second case of Zika in Kota Kinabalu suggests that the virus is already present within our communities.This patient has not been to any other country where large number of cases had been reported. This means that this person contracted the disease locally.He has been infected by being bitten by a mosquito which was carrying the virus within our country .From where was this mosquito?
We dont have a certain answer to this.It suggests that there are other infected people in the community who are potential sources of infection.We are in the process of tracing the movement of this last patient over the last few weeks.We will intensify vector control activities in these areas. I am informed that this patient passed away a few hours ago.We are of the view that his death is not directly related to Zika. He had other premorbid conditions including heart failure and chronic renal disease which were life threatening.Any form of viraemia in such a situation could have tilted the balance and caused his demise.
In short the message is:
Zika is present in our country.
New cases will continue to emerge.
Let us intensify our war against Aedes
NO AEDES. NO DENGUE AND NO ZIKA
IT IS THE RESPONSIBILITY OF ALL MALAYSIANS TO WAGE THE ANTI AEDES WAR.
#ZIKA MOH