kiwibird
Editor, Senior Moderator
Last-chance jabs advised as flu hits Published: 5:45AM Thursday August 05, 2010
Source: NZPA
Source: ONE News
Related News
Swine flu influx stretching hospitals July 31, 2010
Swine flu confirmed in Wairarapa August 04, 2010
Health officials are urging people to get a "last minute jab" in a bid to avoid this year's wave of pandemic influenza hitting New Zealand.
"For anyone still thinking about getting vaccinated, now is the time to do it," public health director Mark Jacobs said today.
There were 15,500 doses left of "seasonal" vaccine - which also protects against pandemic swine flu - but the vaccine would take up to two weeks to provide protection and young children required two shots three weeks apart to be protected.
...snip
An estimated 18% of the country's population caught the virus, with the highest rate of infection among school-age children.
...snip
Today, health officials said the hospital districts which were suffering worst this winter tended to be the ones with relatively low influenza rates last year, such as Bay of Plenty, and Taranaki.
It was likely that district health boards with lower rates of hospitalisation last year could have greater numbers of people still susceptible to the disease - including Otago, West Coast, Wairarapa, Whanganui, Nelson Marlborough and Southland.
The Wairarapa is already battening down the hatches, with up to 45% of schoolchildren absent due to the rapid spread of H1N1 flu.
Medical officer of health for the greater Wellington region Annette Nesdale said the first signs of high levels of sickness in schools came last Friday, with children arriving at school feeling well in the morning, but falling ill by lunchtime, with most presenting with high fever, chills, headaches and a cough.
http://tvnz.co.nz/health-news/last-chance-jabs-advised-flu-hits-3685790
Source: NZPA
Source: ONE News
Related News
Swine flu influx stretching hospitals July 31, 2010
Swine flu confirmed in Wairarapa August 04, 2010
Health officials are urging people to get a "last minute jab" in a bid to avoid this year's wave of pandemic influenza hitting New Zealand.
"For anyone still thinking about getting vaccinated, now is the time to do it," public health director Mark Jacobs said today.
There were 15,500 doses left of "seasonal" vaccine - which also protects against pandemic swine flu - but the vaccine would take up to two weeks to provide protection and young children required two shots three weeks apart to be protected.
...snip
An estimated 18% of the country's population caught the virus, with the highest rate of infection among school-age children.
...snip
Today, health officials said the hospital districts which were suffering worst this winter tended to be the ones with relatively low influenza rates last year, such as Bay of Plenty, and Taranaki.
It was likely that district health boards with lower rates of hospitalisation last year could have greater numbers of people still susceptible to the disease - including Otago, West Coast, Wairarapa, Whanganui, Nelson Marlborough and Southland.
The Wairarapa is already battening down the hatches, with up to 45% of schoolchildren absent due to the rapid spread of H1N1 flu.
Medical officer of health for the greater Wellington region Annette Nesdale said the first signs of high levels of sickness in schools came last Friday, with children arriving at school feeling well in the morning, but falling ill by lunchtime, with most presenting with high fever, chills, headaches and a cough.
http://tvnz.co.nz/health-news/last-chance-jabs-advised-flu-hits-3685790