• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Kenya: Suspected Swine Flu Case Tested Negative

Gert van der Hoek

In Memoriam - Editor, Senior Moderator
Kenya: Suspected Swine Flu Case Under Probe

26 June 2009

Nairobi ? Health officials were on Friday evening investigating a suspected case of H1N1 flu that was referred to Kenyatta National Hospital.

Public Health and Sanitation Minister Beth Mugo said tests were being carried out to ascertain the case.

She urged the public not to panic over the matter.

"I can confirm that a person has been taken to Kenyatta Hospital. My ministry officials have taken samples from the patient for testing at the Kenya Medical Research Institute and we expect the results in the next eight hours," Ms Mugo said last evening.

No alarm

She, however, said the case was still suspected and should not be made to cause alarm.

She also assured the ministry would do everything possible to ensure the situation was contained in case the patient was confirmed to have the flu.

The suspected patient was referred to Kenyatta Hospital from the AAR Sarit Centre clinic. The clinic was closed to prevent contamination, staff asked to use masks while clients were warned to keep off.

Ministry officials were called to the clinic and examined the patient before being referred to Kenyatta.

If confirmed, the case will be the first in Kenya. The flu has been a major health threat in the recent months worldwide.

http://allafrica.com/stories/200906261074.html
 
Re: Kenya: Suspected Swine Flu Case Under Probe

Re: Kenya: Suspected Swine Flu Case Under Probe

Kenya swine flu case tests negative


Written By:Lilian Mwendo/Margaret Kalekye , Posted: Sat, Jun 27, 2009

Samples taken from the patient for testing at Kenya Medical Research Institute (Kemri) laboratories proved negative for the H1N1 influenza virus.

Public Health and Sanitation minister Beth Mugo said the patient suspected to have been infected with the flu was a 20-year old Kenyan lady who is a student at a university in London.

The student who had arrived UK on Friday was rushed to AAR health clinic at sarit centre after she developed a slight fever and flu like symptoms similar to those of the swine flu.

The doctors examined her alerted Kemri officials after she disclosed that she had been in contact with a friend who later tested postive for influenza A H1N1 in London.

The clinic was closed and the patient transferred to Kenya's main referral hospital, the Kenyatta National Hospital where she was placed in isolation ward as tests went on at Kemri.

A press statement from AAR said the first results had ruled out presence of the H1N1, adding that the affected clinic had been reopened.

" Assessment by the officials indicated there was no further risk to the staff and patients in the clinic'' said AAR public Relations Officer Julet Ratemo.

Mugo assured the public during a press conference that the suspected case had been confirmed negative adding that no case of swine flu has so far been reported in Kenya.

The announcement by the minister came as a relief to Kenyans.

News about the suspected case spread across Nairobi via SMS overnight on Friday causing panic across the city.

Mugo warned health officers and the public in general against issuing information on unconfirmed cases.

She reiterated that the country is fully prepared to handle any confirmed AH1N1 cases.

" The government with the support of World Health Organization-WHO has stocked over 50,000 doses of tamiflu for treatment of any confirmed cases of Influenza a H1N1 and stocked personal protective equipment for the health workers" She said.

She urged health workers and the general public to report any suspected case to the national surveillance unit and the national influenza centre through the following contacts: 0722 331548, 0202040542, 2718292.

Meanwhile information PS Bitange Ndemo has issued a warning to those sending alarming texts which he said was a contravention of the communication act.

Ndemo says the government will crack down on those sending and resending alarmist messages.

http://www.kbc.co.ke/story.asp?ID=58247
 
Back
Top