• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Kenya - Suspected ebola cases in isolation - all cases negative so far - August 1, 2012 +

Re: Kenya - Several with hemorrhagic symptoms hospitalized in isolation various districts - all reported negative for Ebola so far, 2 current suspects - 1 died, 1 in isolation

Re: Kenya - Several with hemorrhagic symptoms hospitalized in isolation various districts - all reported negative for Ebola so far, 2 current suspects - 1 died, 1 in isolation

I changed the title to reflect that the ebola test for the 7 year old is still pending and that a middle-aged man is a suspected case in isolation.
 
Re: Kenya - Several with hemorrhagic symptoms hospitalized in isolation various districts - all reported negative for Ebola so far, 2 current suspects - 1 died, 1 in isolation

Re: Kenya - Several with hemorrhagic symptoms hospitalized in isolation various districts - all reported negative for Ebola so far, 2 current suspects - 1 died, 1 in isolation

Govt. issues Ebola assurance</IFRAME>

<IFRAME height=360 src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0jux3788ARE" frameBorder=0 width=640 allowfullscreen></IFRAME>

Published on Aug 3, 2012 by NTVKenya
http://www.ntv.co.ke

Public Health Minister Beth Mugo has disclosed that there are no strains of the dreaded Ebola virus. Speaking after receiving results from KEMRI which investigated samples from a patient in Eldoret, Mugo says the results have come back negative. Mugo says one can only qualify to be a suspected case if he or she has traveled recently to Western Uganda and more specifically Kibaale District. Mugo has however cautioned Kenyans against traveling to western Uganda unnecessarily.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0jux3788ARE
 
Re: Kenya - Several with hemorrhagic symptoms hospitalized in isolation various districts - all reported negative for Ebola so far, 2 current suspects - 1 died, 1 in isolation

Re: Kenya - Several with hemorrhagic symptoms hospitalized in isolation various districts - all reported negative for Ebola so far, 2 current suspects - 1 died, 1 in isolation

http://www.promedmail.org/

Published Date: 2012-08-04 14:44:21
Subject: PRO/AH/EDR> Ebola hemorrhagic fever - Kenya (02): NOT.
Archive Number: 20120804.1228550

EBOLA HEMORRHAGIC FEVER - KENYA (02): NOT
*****************************************
A ProMED-mail post
http://www.promedmail.org
ProMED-mail is a program of the
International Society for Infectious Diseases
http://www.isid.org

Date: Thu 2 Aug 2012
Source: AllAfrica [abbreviated & edited]
http://allafrica.com/stories/201208030120.html?


Kenya: Siaya Man Negative of Ebola, Fresh Case in Eldoret
---------------------------------------------------------
A suspected case of Ebola in Siaya district turned out negative on Thursday, providing a sigh of relief for Kenya despite news that another man had recorded similar symptoms, hundreds of kilometers away in Eldoret [Uasin District of Rift Valley Province].

The 30-year-old man was on Thursday admitted to the Eldoret Moi Teaching and Referral Hospital with symptom similar to those of the haemorrhagic fever. According to the hospital acting Director Dr John Kibosia, the patient who travelled from Sudan passed through Uganda before coming to Kenya, has been put in an isolation ward together with 2 of his relatives whom he came in contact with. "He was bleeding and passing stool with blood and this combination is what we think can easily be one of the haemorrhagic fevers," he asserted.

Dr Kibosia told journalists in Eldoret that his blood samples have been sent to the Kenya Medical Research Institute laboratories to ascertain if the man is suffering from the deadly virus. Dr Kibosia added that the hospital had taken precautionary measures to handle Ebola related illnesses.

This is the 2nd case feared in Kenya after a man exhibiting signs of the disease was put in a solitary ward at the Siaya district hospital on Wednesday. However his laboratory tests returned negative.

The disease broke out in Uganda earlier this week killing 16 people. On Monday Kenya declared a high Ebola alert in provinces that border Uganda, after an outbreak of the disease was confirmed in Kampala.

(By Judie Kaberia)

--
Communicated by:
ProMEd-mail Rapporteur Mary Marshall

[But see WHO Uganda update later today; both cases tested negative. -- Mod.JW]

[Siaya District is one of the 12 districts that make up Nyanza Province in the southwest part of Kenya. A map of Siaya District can be accessed at: http://siaya.bondo-itc.org/siaya_map.htm.

Eldoret is a town in western Kenya and the administrative centre of Uasin Gishu District of Rift Valley Province. Eldoret is currently the fastest growing town in Kenya, and currently the 5th largest in Kenya. A map showing the location of Eldoret can be accessed at: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eldoret. - Mod.CP.]
 
Re: Kenya - Several with hemorrhagic symptoms hospitalized in isolation various districts - all reported negative for Ebola so far, 2 current suspects - 1 died, 1 in isolation

Re: Kenya - Several with hemorrhagic symptoms hospitalized in isolation various districts - all reported negative for Ebola so far, 2 current suspects - 1 died, 1 in isolation

Thanks Alert. I think the moderator is referring to the first 2 cases that eventually tested negative. I think there are still 2 ebola tests pending:

1)7 year old girl that died

2) Middle-aged man who was admitted at Moi Teaching and Referral hospital in Eldoret
 
Re: Kenya - Several with hemorrhagic symptoms hospitalized in isolation various districts - all reported negative for Ebola so far, 2 current suspects - 1 died, 1 in isolation

Re: Kenya - Several with hemorrhagic symptoms hospitalized in isolation various districts - all reported negative for Ebola so far, 2 current suspects - 1 died, 1 in isolation

EBOLA SCARE: Murang?a man dies of unknown disease
The Kenyan DAILY POSTNews 02:32


Sunday, August 5, 2012 - A 30 year old man was on Friday reported to have died of a mysterious disease that caused panic among residents of Murang?a town?s Mjini slums. The man is alleged to have bled from the nostrils and mouth before he died.
...
Local Medical Officer of Health (MOH) Dr. Ephantus Maree told the media the man showed signs of Ebola but did not die as a result of the deadly disease that has claimed tens of people in the neighboring Uganda.

Maree said they found a prescription in the man?s pockets that had been inscribed that he had TB from Port Lietz Hospital in Mombasa.
...
http://www.kenyan-post.com/2012/08/ebola-scare-muranga-man-dies-of-unknown.html
 
Re: Kenya - Several with hemorrhagic symptoms hospitalized in isolation various districts - all reported negative for Ebola so far, 2 current suspects - 1 died, 1 in isolation

Re: Kenya - Several with hemorrhagic symptoms hospitalized in isolation various districts - all reported negative for Ebola so far, 2 current suspects - 1 died, 1 in isolation

Sunday, 05 August 2012 10:38
Another Suspected Ebola Case Reported in Kenya
Posted By Maureen Murimi.

Fear has gripped Nyakwar village in Homa Bay County after a girl exhibited Ebola Like symptoms.

The 24 year old was on Saturday admitted to the Homa Bay District Hospital with symptom similar to those of the haemorrhagic fever. The girl was rushed to the hospital after falling ill but while in hospital reportedly started bleeding from body openings.
According to the family of the fourth form student, the girl complained of excruciating pain in the body that was followed with diarrhea before starting to vomit blood.

The Doctor in Charge at the Homa Bay District Hospital Dr. Hezrone Alouch said the patient has been isolated from other patients as clinical tests are carried out. ?Blood samples have already been transferred to Kenya Medical Research Institute in Nairobi for further tests.? Dr. Alouch said.
...
http://www.citizennews.co.ke/news/2...nother-suspected-ebola-case-reported-in-kenya
 
Re: Kenya - Several with hemorrhagic symptoms hospitalized in isolation various districts - all reported negative for Ebola so far, 2 current suspects - 1 died, 1 in isolation

Re: Kenya - Several with hemorrhagic symptoms hospitalized in isolation various districts - all reported negative for Ebola so far, 2 current suspects - 1 died, 1 in isolation

Thanks Alert. I think the moderator is referring to the first 2 cases that eventually tested negative. I think there are still 2 ebola tests pending:

1)7 year old girl that died

2) Middle-aged man who was admitted at Moi Teaching and Referral hospital in Eldoret

The Eldoret case is the second case, and it is now confirmed negative. The 7F is still pending, but has come back positive for dysentery and malaria (and the only hemorrhage reported was bloody diarrhea, which is a dysentery symptom).

We now have a fourth case, a fatality in Muranga, that is suspected to be the result of TB, and a 5th case, in isolation in Homa whose test results are now pending.

So I would say that of the five suspects, at least three, if not four (the 7F) have been officially excluded. There is no real exposure history on any of these cases (i.e. travel to Kibaale or contact with a probable/confirmed case) so there is no reason why any of them should test positive.

The thread title is now still technically correct, but it is a different case now in isolation pending tests.

---------

Another report that the Eldoret case has been excluded:

http://www.coastweek.com/3531_ebola_03.htm

Public Health Director in the Ministry of Public Health and Sanitation Dr. Shahnaz Sharrif told Xinhua that the samples of a patient suspected with symptoms of the viral disease which were taken in Eldoret in northwest Kenya on Thursday turned negative.

"The results of the samples which were taken from a patient in Eldoret hospital for analysis in Nairobi have turned negative, meaning there is no Ebola case in Kenya," Shariff told Xinhua by telephone on Friday.
 
Re: Kenya - Several with hemorrhagic symptoms hospitalized in isolation various districts - all reported negative for Ebola so far, 2 current suspects - 1 died, 1 in isolation

Re: Kenya - Several with hemorrhagic symptoms hospitalized in isolation various districts - all reported negative for Ebola so far, 2 current suspects - 1 died, 1 in isolation

Thanks Ronan & Alert. So the current suspected cases are:

1) 24 year old female from Nyakwar village in Homa Bay County - isolation in Homa Bay District Hospital, tests pending

2) 30 year old male tuberculosis patient from Murang?a town - died, local health officer, Dr. Ephantus Maree, says he did not die of ebola.
 
Re: Kenya - Several with hemorrhagic symptoms hospitalized in isolation various districts - all reported negative for Ebola so far, 2 current suspects - 1 died, 1 in isolation

Re: Kenya - Several with hemorrhagic symptoms hospitalized in isolation various districts - all reported negative for Ebola so far, 2 current suspects - 1 died, 1 in isolation

Ebola scare as patient shows signs



By MAURICE KALUOCH
Posted Sunday, August 5 2012 at 23:30
IN SUMMARY


Hospital held emergency meeting after a woman started oozing blood from her body openings, a symptom of the dreaded ailment
Homabay District Hospital has been placed on a high alert for Ebola after a middle-aged female patient presented symptoms similar to those of the dreaded disease.



The Hospital?s medical superintended, Dr Ojwang Ayoma, was forced to summon the hospital?s top medical team that included doctors, clinical officers and nurses for an emergency meeting to discuss the development in the face of a possible outbreak.

This, was after it was discovered that the patient had blood coming out through all her body openings.

The woman was rushed to the hospital by an elderly relative after allegedly developing high fever, a sore throat and general body weakness.

The patient?s condition was said to have deteriorated late in the night with blood oozing from her body?s openings .

Dr Ayoma said, they were forced to isolate the patient together with her relative who was however unable to give a proper account of the history of the ailing relative.

The elderly woman told the hospital?s authorities that her sister-in-law resides at Sori market of Nyatike area in Migori County.

Dr Ayoma said that it was still premature to conclude that the patient had caught the Ebola virus, but was quick to point out that given the symptoms she had presented, and coupled with the current threats caused by the emergence of the disease in the neighbouring Uganda, they could not take chances.

?We have already set up a tent for both the victim and her relative as their blood samples have been sent to KEMRI for urgent analysis,? said Dr Ayoma.

The incident in Homa Bay has come in the wake of fears among Kenyans residing in the Migingo island of contracting the deadly Ebola virus through the free mingling of Kenyans and Ugandans on Lake Victoria.

The Island currently has close to 2000 fishermen from the two countries.

On Friday, Kenyans living on the disputed Migingo have expressed fears of contracting the haemorrhagic disease.

The fishermen and traders said their Ugandan counterparts were trooping to the island in large numbers to fish but were not being screened due to lack of personnel and equipment on the island.

Some of the fishermen expressed fears that they could easily contract the disease because of their daily interactions with their Ugandan counterparts who arrive every day.



http://www.nation.co.ke/Counties/Eb...igns+/-/1107872/1472018/-/cw32lb/-/index.html
 
The current suspected cases are:

1) 24 year old female from Nyakwar village in Homa Bay County - isolation in Homa Bay District Hospital, tests pending

2) 30 year old male tuberculosis patient from Murang’a town - died, local health officer, Dr. Ephantus Maree, says he did not die of ebola.

3) Middle-aged woman from Sori market of Nyatike area in Migori County hospitalized in isolation.

4) A relative of #3 has also been placed in isolation.
 
Re: Kenya - 3 suspected ebola cases in isolation - tests pending

Re: Kenya - 3 suspected ebola cases in isolation - tests pending

Map of Uganda and Kenya showing confirmed and suspected Ebola cases (post 30)

Uganda Kenya( 2) 201200805.jpg
 
Re: Kenya - 3 suspected ebola cases in isolation - tests pending

Re: Kenya - 3 suspected ebola cases in isolation - tests pending

And another one tests negative...

http://allafrica.com/stories/201208131236.html

Kenya: Ebola Case in Mombasa False Alarm - Government
Tagged: East Africa, Health, Kenya
By Wesonga Ochieng, 13 August 2012 Comment
The government has allayed fears that the Ebola virus has reached Mombasa after tests done on a suspected victim's blood turned out negative. Coast public health director, Anisa Omar, said the blood samples taken from a 61-year-old truck driver identified as Moses show he does not have Ebola.

The tests were done at the Kenya Medical Research Institute in Nairobi. Moses is believed to be at the Aga Khan Hospital where he is being monitored. Omar said the results indicate that Moses is suffering from normal fever and throat flu.

Moses operates trucks between Kampala and Mombasa. "What I can assure Mombasa residents and Kenyans at large is that the samples we took to Nairobi tested negative, confirming my earlier stand that there should be no cause for alarm. It was just a normal fever accompanied with throat flu," Anisa said on phone yesterday.

Anisa could not however confirm if the patient had been discharged from the hospital as our efforts to reach the hospital management were futile. The Ebola alarm raised fear among the patients in the hospital and the entire Mombasa county at the weekend. Kenya has been on high alert with people entering the country being screened for the virus.

[snip]
 
Re: Kenya - Suspected ebola cases in isolation - all cases negative so far - August 1, 2012 +

And one more negative...

http://www.ippmedia.com/frontend/?l=44666

Yet another suspected Ebola patient admitted in Mwanza
By Emmanuel Onyango
12th August 2012EmailPrintCommentsFears of a possible outbreak of the deadly Ebola disease are rising following fresh reports that another ?suspect? patient has been admitted at the Sekou Teure regional hospital in Mwanza city.

The patient is suspected to be suffering from severe symptoms that resemble those of the dreaded disease -- less than a week after news earlier broke in Karagwe district, Kagera region, claiming that a patient with similar symptoms was also hospitalized at Nyakahanga designated hospital in the region.

In the wake of last week?s reports from Nyakahanga, the government quickly dispatched a team of medical officers and nurses to the area, all fully equipped to thoroughly diagnose a patient whose symptoms had since not been fully confirmed to be that of the viruses that cause Ebola to date.

According to the Mwanza Regional Medical Officer (RMO), Dr Valentino Francis Bangi, the Mwanza case was first reported at the Sekou Teure regional hospital and later referred to Bugando referral hospital ? before the patient was sent back for readmission at the Sekou Teure facility.

The RMO told The Guardian On Sunday in a telephone interview yesterday that his hospital had received a patient on Monday this week who, upon proper diagnosis, was found to be suffering from dysentery and severe abdominal pains. The patient also suffered from urethral strictures, as a result of which he had difficulty passing urine.

According to Dr Bangi, the first onset of strictures often cause ?mental confusion? among patients. Such symptoms, he added, also cause ?fear among the people? but he has urged them not to panic or to be afraid when they come across such patients.

?It?s a normal disease ? despite its symptoms,? he says

He has also dispelled further fears of a possible outbreak of Ebola because his diagnosis on the patient, a young man aged between 23 and 27 years, displayed symptoms that were less severe than those seen in Ebola victims.

?I am 80 percent sure that the symptoms seen in the patient are not those of Ebola ?,? he argued.

[snip]
 
Back
Top