Re: Jordan - Cluster of approximately 13 people with acute pneumonia type illness, 2 fatalities - April 20 - May 2012 - Novel coronavirus confirmed
Published Date: 2013-06-17 15:33:30
Subject: PRO/AH/EDR> MERS-CoV - Eastern Mediterranean (31): Jordan, retro. case ID, WHO, RFI
Archive Number: 20130617.1777989
MERS-COV - EASTERN MEDITERRANEAN (31): JORDAN, RETROSPECTIVE CASE IDENTIFICATION, WHO, REQUEST FOR INFORMATION
**************************************************************************************************************
A ProMED-mail post
http://www.promedmail.org
ProMED-mail is a program of the
International Society for Infectious Diseases
http://www.isid.org
In this update:
[1] Jordan - April 2012, 8 additional cases confirmed
[2] Saudi Arabia - WHO report on latest 3 cases and 4 deaths
******
[1] Jordan - April 2012, 8 additional cases confirmed
Date: 17 Jun 2013
Source: The Times Colonist [edited]
http://www.timescolonist.com/life/e...n-jordan-infected-at-least-10-people-1.323843
A retrospective study has shown that the earliest known outbreak of the MERS coronavirus infected at least 10 people [see ProMED-mail posts Novel coronavirus - Saudi Arabia (04): RFI, Jordan, April 2012 20120925.1308001 and Novel coronavirus - Eastern Mediterranean: WHO, Jordan, conf., RFI 20121130.1432498 for details on the outbreak in Jordan. - Mod.MPP].
Two of those cases, from an outbreak in Jordan in April of 2012, have been previously reported [Novel coronavirus - Eastern Mediterranean: WHO, Jordan, conf., RFI 20121130.1432498].
An official of Jordan's Ministry of Health revealed the news today [17 Jun 2013] in an interview from Amman.
Dr. Mohammad Al-Abdallat says blood samples from 124 people were tested for antibodies to the Middle Eastern respiratory syndrome coronavirus.
He says 8 people tested positive, including 6 people who had been known to be sick at the time of the outbreak, one health-care worker and one household contact of a confirmed case.
The 2 previously confirmed cases died at the time of the outbreak but were confirmed later using samples that had been stored.
The study was a joint effort by the Jordanian health ministry and scientists from the U.S. Centers for Diseases Control [and Prevention] [CDC] in Atlanta.
The additional cases, if added to the World Health Organization's global tally, would bring the global count to 72 cases, 38 of which have been fatal.
The cases in Jordan occurred at Zarqa, southwest of Amman. The outbreak happened before the existence of the new virus was recognized. At the time, no cause for the cluster of severe pneumonias was identified.
In June of 2012, scientists at Erasmus Medical Centre in Rotterdam, the Netherlands identified a previously unknown coronavirus -- a cousin of the virus that caused SARS -- in a sample taken from a Saudi man who had died from a similar pneumonia in a hospital in Jeddah.
The bulk of the diagnosed infections to date have occurred in Saudi Arabia, which on Sunday [16 Jun 2013] revealed they had found 3 new cases in disparate parts of the country.
A recent outbreak of hospital-related cases in Saudi Arabia has racked up several dozen cases in the kingdom's Eastern Province. But in recent days, cases have popped up in Taif, near the holy city of Mecca, Jeddah and Riyadh.
[Byline: Helen Branswell]
--
Communicated by:
ProMED-mail
<promed@promedmail.org>
[The significance of these findings includes the ability to identify and confirm milder illness and presumably asymptomatic infection retrospectively through serologic antibody assay. Prior studies had "ruled out" the MERS-CoV infection in now healthy close contacts of the 2 confirmed fatal cases from the April 2012 outbreak in Jordan. Of additional note and significance is the mention that of the 8 saved specimens that were positive for MERS-CoV infection, "6 people had been known to be sick at the time of the outbreak, one health-care worker and one household contact of a confirmed case." This suggests that the health-care worker and household contact were not known to be sick at the time, and hence were presumed to be asymptomatic infections with the MERS-CoV. If this supposition is correct, this will represent the 1st time asymptomatic infection with the MERS-CoV has been laboratory confirmed. Serosurveys in communities where there have been cases of severe illness attributable to MERS-CoV infection may now be possible and may identify further "silent" (asymptomatic) infections as well as milder disease occurring in the community and among previously healthy individuals. This may well be additional supportive data that pre-existing illness predisposes to severe disease with MERS-CoV infection, whereas infection in previously healthy individuals tends to follow a milder clinical course.
We await more information on the details of the testing performed and any follow up studies on laboratory confirmed infected individuals.
With these newly confirmed infections, the global tally of laboratory confirmed infections with MERS-CoV increases to 72 cases, of which there have been 38 deaths.