• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Influenza A: A million cases in Portugal, 1436 hospitalizations and 124 deaths

Ronan Kelly

Retired 2020
Google: Portuguese to English translation
Influenza A: A million cases in Portugal, 1436 hospitalizations and 124 deaths
Wednesday, August 11, 2010

About one million cases of influenza A were registered in Portugal, taking 1436 people to be hospitalized and causing 124 deaths, according to the Directorate General of Health These are the main figures in the report of the influenza epidemic activity in Portugal in 2009, document to be presented on October 2. National Congress of Public Health.

According to the Director General of Health, Francis George, the activity of influenza A virus in Portugal was concentrated between August 2009 and February 2010 and had its peak in November last year.

The overwhelming majority of cases were mild and moderate, but still there were 193 patients admitted to intensive care and 124 deaths.

The World Health Organization (WHO) announced on Tuesday the end of the first influenza pandemic of the XXI century.

According to the director general of WHO, influenza A (H1N1) caused 18,500 deaths worldwide since its discovery in April 2009.

Francis George said that this statement of the transition to post-pandemic had been expected, noting that the viral activity in Portugal began its decline since January and has not been diagnosed cases in recent months.

However, the official stressed that the virus causing the pandemic will continue to run especially in cold weeks of the year.

"So it makes sense to appeal to the Portuguese to protect themselves through vaccination services. For those over 65 years or chronic illnesses should be seasonal trivalent vaccine, which also includes this virus. Other people may also be immunized against to H1N1, "he said.

Naturally, the epidemiological situation does not reflect the overall situation, since the virus continued to circulate in the southern hemisphere. We know that the virus that caused the pandemic in 2009 will continue to run mainly in the cold weeks of the year and so it makes sense to make a plea to the Portuguese to protect themselves through vaccination services, said George Francisco.
http://www.mundoportugues.org/content/1/7616/gripe-milhao-casos-portugal-internamentos-mortes/
 
Back
Top