Serang, Banten (ANTARA News) - The Indonesian government will set up a bird flu handling centre here in the near future to overcome bird flu cases, head of the local health office Dr Djadja Buddy Rahardja said on Tuesday.
"The compound of the centre will be designed based on international standards with funding from some donor countries including Japan, Hong Kong and Taiwan and some donor organizations including the United Nations Children`s Fund (UNICEF) and the World Health Organization (WHO)," he said.
He said the centre would be the venue for formulating a strategy to handle bird flu, he added.
"The centre will have many kinds of equipment, the medicines needed to fight the bird flu virus and a training venue for paramedics on ways to treat patients," he said.
Indonesia had its first human bird flu case when a father and his two daughters died here last year. Indonesia also had the biggest bird flu cluster case. At least 10 provinces have been declared affected by the disease.
Asked when the project would be commenced, he said it would be started as soon as the donor countries and organizations had sent the needed equipment and other materials.
"A memorandum of understanding on the project was signed by President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono with the related department some time ago and it is now in the realization phase," he added.
On the number of people infected with the virus, quoting latest data from the health ministry, he said 47 out of 62 patients who had tasted positive for the virus had died.
In Banten, he added, nine out of 14 suspected bird flu patients had died.
(*)
http://www.antara.co.id/en/print/?id=19487
"The compound of the centre will be designed based on international standards with funding from some donor countries including Japan, Hong Kong and Taiwan and some donor organizations including the United Nations Children`s Fund (UNICEF) and the World Health Organization (WHO)," he said.
He said the centre would be the venue for formulating a strategy to handle bird flu, he added.
"The centre will have many kinds of equipment, the medicines needed to fight the bird flu virus and a training venue for paramedics on ways to treat patients," he said.
Indonesia had its first human bird flu case when a father and his two daughters died here last year. Indonesia also had the biggest bird flu cluster case. At least 10 provinces have been declared affected by the disease.
Asked when the project would be commenced, he said it would be started as soon as the donor countries and organizations had sent the needed equipment and other materials.
"A memorandum of understanding on the project was signed by President Susilo Bambang Yudhoyono with the related department some time ago and it is now in the realization phase," he added.
On the number of people infected with the virus, quoting latest data from the health ministry, he said 47 out of 62 patients who had tasted positive for the virus had died.
In Banten, he added, nine out of 14 suspected bird flu patients had died.
(*)
http://www.antara.co.id/en/print/?id=19487