• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Hospital Braces for Influx - centre expecting several hundred people a day

kiwibird

Editor, Senior Moderator
Hospital braces for influx of flu patients

By KIM THOMAS and BECK ELEVEN - The Press

2518981.jpg
DAVID HALLETT/The Press
GETTING READY: Dr Mick Ozimek and nurse Kelly Maw prepare to meet patients.

Christchurch

Christchurch Hospital is setting aside more than 20 emergency beds and an isolation ward for swine flu victims.
Canterbury health officials said yesterday they were no longer able to contain the spread of the disease and had upgraded their pandemic plans to manage it in the community.
People will no longer be tested at airports, quarantined or given Tamiflu.
Only the most serious cases will get medication, and others who suspect they have the virus will need to take care of themselves at home.
A large flu centre has been opened in central Christchurch to deal with suspected victims referred by their general practitioner.
Health Minister Tony Ryall said yesterday he would increase the pandemic level from containment to management on Monday to reflect the spread of the disease.
Canterbury and Wellington, where one person is critically ill in hospital with swine flu, moved to change the pandemic level earlier because there have more cases than in other regions.
There were 59 confirmed cases in Canterbury yesterday, with another 20 people suspected of having the virus.
The total number of confirmed cases nationwide reached 216 yesterday up 63 from the day before while another 18 cases were considered "probable" and 643 people were suspected to have the virus.
Christchurch Hospital acting general manager Ruth Barclay said six rooms in the emergency department had been set aside for swine flu patients. The hospital could extend the number of emergency beds by 18 if required.
Seven people had been admitted with swine flu, most with mild or moderate forms of the virus, she said. They included three children and a women who had given birth.
Only two of the patients remained in hospital yesterday.
Barclay said a separate hospital ward was available for patients with a combination of swine flu and other medical conditions.
Yesterday, public health officials opened a 2300 square metre swine flu centre in central Christchurch to cope with the growing number of cases.
The converted warehouse in St Asaph St, near the hospital, replaces two suburban screening centres.
It is not a drop-in centre, and sick people should call the newly created 0800373037 for advice and a referral.
Canterbury Primary Pandemic Group co-ordinator Phil Schroeder said the new clinic showed how seriously Canterbury District Health Board was taking the illness.
He said people could limit the impact of the pandemic by first turning to family, friends or neighbours for support, and using the 0800 number for advice or a referral to the flu centre for more serious cases.

The onset of swine flu was typically rapid, with people becoming unwell sometimes within an hour, he said.
The virus could live on surfaces for up 48 hours.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/ne...25/Hospital-braces-for-influx-of-flu-patients
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Hospital Braces for Influx

Re: Hospital Braces for Influx

Hospital braces for influx of flu patients

By KIM THOMAS and BECK ELEVEN - The Press
...
Canterbury health officials said yesterday they were no longer able to contain the spread of the disease and had upgraded their pandemic plans to manage it in the community.
People will no longer be tested at airports, quarantined or given Tamiflu.
Only the most serious cases will get medication, and others who suspect they have the virus will need to take care of themselves at home.
A large flu centre has been opened in central Christchurch to deal with suspected victims referred by their general practitioner.
...
The onset of swine flu was typically rapid, with people becoming unwell sometimes within an hour, he said.
The virus could live on surfaces for up 48 hours.
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/ne...25/Hospital-braces-for-influx-of-flu-patients

If the cases did not go serious the first 2 days, they miss the antiviral medication even if got it later.

Probably that patern of treatments will be used worldwide now ...
Until be already very ill (and than is too late), no medications.

The masses outside the afected countries are totaly uninformed of this fact (if they did not reads web news from FT/...).
 
Re: Hospital Braces for Influx

Re: Hospital Braces for Influx

I totally agree. Very concerning. The quick onset time was a shock to me!
 
Re: Hospital Braces for Influx

Re: Hospital Braces for Influx

Swine flu at school but doors stay open
By BRUCE HOLLOWAY - Waikato Times
Last updated 05:00 20/06/2009
Share
Print
Text Size
Relevant offers

Hamilton West Primary School is set to remain open despite one of its boys yesterday becoming one of the latest cases of swine flu.

In a move which appeared to run counter to national efforts to keep the public closely informed about the spread of the virus, the Waikato District Health Board refused to name the school.


But Hamilton West board of trustees chairman Gordon Malcolm had no such qualms.

He confirmed a Waikato DHB Population Health Service letter had been sent to the families of children who share a class with the boy, as well as the rest of the school community, explaining the situation and telling them what to do if they have any concerns.

That was after taking Waikato DHB advice on what is now officially being called "novel influenza (H1N1) 09".

Mr Malcolm said Hamilton West School was continuing as normal, awaiting feedback from parents on Monday.

The infected boy now well past seven days since the onset of symptoms took to four the confirmed cases of swine flu in the Waikato DHB region.

Waikato medical officer of health Anita Bell defended her board's attempt to keep the school's identity confidential, saying nobody was at risk from the school now that national strategies to battle swine flu have officially moved from "a containment phase" to "a management phase".

"You don't need to have that information," Dr Bell told the Waikato Times, explaining that under upgraded pandemic plans, schools would no longer close.


"The school responded appropriately, and sent the child home at the start of his symptoms.

"This has probably prevented a number of other children or staff getting sick and they should be commended."

Asked if members of the public might not also appreciate having the same information, she said the key issue was "risk to population". "No-one was at risk from people from that school."

Waikato's other new confirmed case is a 25-year-old male from Hamilton who, like the schoolboy, didn't have any obvious travel links.

The cumulative total of confirmed cases in New Zealand last night was 216, of whom 158 were sick now. A Lower Hutt woman was in critical condition with swine flu in Wellington Hospital's intensive care unit last night. The 30-year-old morbidly obese woman, with respiratory problems as well as swine flu, was a unique case.

Dr Bell said swine flu was proving to be a relatively mild variation of influenza.

Under the Health Ministry's new change in focus, victims will not need to be swabbed or receive Tamiflu.

People will no longer be tested at airports, or quarantined, and only the most serious cases will get medication. Others who suspect they have the virus will need to take care of themselves at home.
Ad Feedback

Waikato DHB will not yet open community based assessment centres, but the following practices are in operation:

Emergency Departments will continue triage streaming of patients with influenza-like symptoms separated from those with other ailments. Patients with flu-like symptoms must wear masks in emergency departments.

Two hospital wards are set up to handle isolation if necessary.

Advice can be accessed through Healthline on 0800 611 116.

Moves to the "manage it" phase reflect the increased spread of the virus, rather than a change in the severity of the illness, especially in Wellington, Christchurch and Auckland.

Most people recover from infection without the need for hospitalisation or medical care. The Health Ministry is not advising people to cancel social gatherings, sports events and travel, but is strongly encouraging frontline health workers to be vaccinated for seasonal influenza
http://www.stuff.co.nz/waikato-times/news/2519008/Swine-flu-at-school-but-doors-stay-open
 
Re: Hospital Braces for Influx

Re: Hospital Braces for Influx

only the most serious cases will get medication

I've been noticing the change to this policy a lot in recent days.

Since early administration of antiviral meds can prevent a case from becoming serious, isn't this sort of like closing the barn door after the cattle are out?

I have no medical or scientific training, but find many of the policies being adopted by most countries regarding the sick somewhat puzzling.
 
Re: Hospital Braces for Influx - centre expecting several hundred people a day

Christchurch Hospital will isolate swine flu sufferers in single rooms off a general medical ward if they need hospitalisation.

Suspected cases will first be assessed at the region's flu assessment centre, which opened on Saturday in a converted car factory in the city centre.

The Canterbury District Health Board says staff at Christchurch Hospital will use isolation techniques and protective equipment when dealing with those who have the virus.

A spokesperson for the board, Mark Leggett, says about eight beds off the general ward are available for swine flu sufferers.

The flu centre expects to treat several hundred people a day in the coming weeks.

A spokesperson for the clinic says a steady stream of people arrived at the central city centre on Saturday, where they were treated by volunteer nurses and doctors.

The DHB says at least three more centres are expected to be needed in the region as the virus spreads.

Officially confirmed cases of swine flu stand at 216 nationwide with Canterbury and Wellington having 75% of the sufferers.

Dr Phil Schroeder of the Canterbury Primary Pandemic Group says only people who have been assessed over the phone as needing treatment are offered appointments and medication at the centre.

"People are coming in feeling quite fatigued, potentially a little dehydrated, headachey, sore - not too happy about life. It really is something which most people would get over without coming to clinics at all."

Dr Schroeder says another three flu centres are expected to open in the Canterbury region.
Wellington Hospital moves to protect patients

Wellington Hospital says it will turn away visitors with flu-like symptoms in order to protect vulnerable patients from swine flu.

Capital and Coast District Health Board says patients in its cancer, intensive care and children's wards are especially at risk. It says catching the flu could delay their recovery, or even endanger their lives.

A 30-year-old woman remained in a critical condition in Wellington Hospital on Saturday as a result of swine flu. A child and another adult are in the same hospital with swine flu and two nurses there have the virus.
Helpline services expanded

Health authorities Canterbury and Wellington are boosting helpline services for people seeking advice about swine flu.

Authorities on Friday announced they had given up trying to contain the spread of swine flu and are focusing now on managing it, meaning people will be encouraged to deal with their symptoms at home unless they are severe.

People in Canterbury are able to call a free helpline (0800 373 0370) from Saturday, while Wellington's Regional Public Health authority has increased the number of lines on its service (0800 120 064) from four to seven.

Those in Canterbury needing treatment or assessment will be referred to the flu centre that opened in Christchurch on Friday.

Copyright ? 2009 Radio New Zealand
http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/stories/2009/06/20/1245b645f4c1
 
Re: Hospital Braces for Influx - centre expecting several hundred people a day

#6:...

Good initiatives. Pity that all this wasn't try to be escaped (not only the NZ island, other islands also) by an plain/ship isolation/quarantine of the island from 2 months ago, leaving only cargo fluxes, and internet business telemeetings.

Probably the continuation of such island isolations for another 4 months until the vaccines cames seemed too money loosing and business unfriendly.

But how much will be the loosings and business dificulties now, when such illness make roots in the whole island? Probably worse than an 6 months island isolation, if we make into the count the health outcomes also.

#1:
""People are coming in feeling quite fatigued, potentially a little dehydrated, headachey, sore - not too happy about life. It really is something which most people would get over without coming to clinics at all.""

Yes, "most people", but who of them knows for sure or who can assess/predict who will be the one which illness instead of decreasing, will worsening after several initial days?
 
Back
Top