• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Half dozen cases of H1N1 confirmed at Bates

Pathfinder

Editor, Senior Moderator
Half dozen cases of H1N1 confirmed at Bates

Published: Oct 09, 2009

LEWISTON ?

A half dozen cases of the H1N1 flu have been confirmed at Bates College, and school officials plan to continue sending students home ? or isolate them ? if they exhibit flu-like symptoms.

College officials said Thursday that they have seen 21 students suffering from influenza-like illnesses so far. Of those, two students are isolated in college-owned housing, nine are recovering at their homes and the rest are fully recovered and back in classes, according to a school bulletin prepared by Bates spokesman Bryan McNulty.

Since the start of the year, the school has been working with the Centers for Disease Control to identify the types of illness being seen on the campus.

"After three or more confirmed cases the CDC will no longer test cultures," McNulty wrote, "so going forward, any student exhibiting (influenza-like illness) will be presumed to have H1N1."

McNulty said the school will continue to follow its protocol of sending sick students home if they live within reasonable driving distances and isolating those who live far away.

He said the students who have become sick recovered within three to six days. The school was not particularly caught off guard by the spate of illnesses, he said, because of plenty of awareness about the affliction.

"This has been planned for some time," McNulty said. "We knew it was coming."

So far, no faculty or staff members have contracted H1N1 at the school, McNulty said Thursday night.

Meanwhile, the Maine Centers for Disease Control and Prevention said they expect 35,000 doses of H1N1 vaccine by next week. It's a small number compared to the 700,000 people considered high priority to get the vaccine.

"Our goal remains the same ? to vaccinate as many people as possible who are at the highest risk," Dora Mills, director of the Maine CDC, wrote in a news release. "We anticipate that there will eventually be enough vaccine for everyone. But for now, we need to focus our early efforts on pregnant women, infants, children, young adults, and some health care workers."

Mills said that along with pregnant women, priority groups for the vaccine these first few weeks include: people who live with or care for infants six months and younger; children and young adults, age 6 to 25; persons age 25 to 65 who have medical conditions that put them at higher risk for influenza-related complications; and health care and emergency medical services personnel, especially those who work in hospital maternity, pediatric, and intensive care units as well as emergency departments.

According to early estimates, Maine is expected to receive 340,000 doses of vaccine in the next eight weeks, which falls short of the amount needed for the priority groups.

"The first few weeks of vaccine distribution will be rocky and unpredictable," Mills said. "Vaccinations will require coordination among our staff, health care providers and many other stakeholders. What we are hearing about vaccine delivery may change quickly, so we need to stay informed and be flexible."

Mills said that as more vaccine arrives, the focus will be on offering the vaccine in schools, because vaccinating children will have the most immediate impact on protecting the students, their families and the communities where they reside.

"The good news is that the schools have been preparing since June ? and they are at the ready," Mills said.

http://www.sunjournal.com/node/292805/
 
Re: Half dozen cases of H1N1 confirmed at Bates

Posted: Tuesday, October 20 2009, 12:56 PM EDT

Swine Flu Isolation Houses Full At Bates College
The H1N1 virus is taking its toll on the students at Bates College campus.

There are so many suspected cases of the swine flu virus that the isolation houses are full. School officials are now telling student to isolate themselves in their dorms.

http://www.wgme.com/newsroom/top_stories/videos/wgme_vid_999.shtml
 
Re: Half dozen cases of H1N1 confirmed at Bates

http://www.myfoxmaine.com/dpp/news/20091021_254_Swine_Flu_Cases_Confirmed_at_Bates

254 Swine Flu Cases Confirmed at Bates

Published : Wednesday, 21 Oct 2009, 8:17 AM EDT

LEWISTON - The number of students with the H1N1 virus (a.k.a. swine flu) at Bates College in Lewiston continues to rise, with 254 confirmed cases. The college says more than 1,000 of the 1,700 students at the school have been vaccinated.

The college is isolating students who show symptoms of swine flu, either by sending them home or keeping them in their rooms or isolation houses.

(Provided by News 13)
 
Re: Half dozen cases of H1N1 confirmed at Bates

Mentioned at Senate Hearing that Maine CDC responding to this. Number of cases (254) confirmed as accurate
 
Back
Top