Pathfinder
Editor, Senior Moderator
Georgia Worries About Uptick in H1N1 Cases
<!--
-->
New America Media, News Report, Anthony D. Advincula, Posted: Mar 16, 2010<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>newstrust_icon = 'http://newstrust.net/images/ntbuttons/newstrust_review_link.gif';</SCRIPT>
ATLANTA ? Contrary to perception in the South and other parts of the country that H1N1 virus has already ebbed in recent months, health department officials here reported an unusual uptick in flu cases and warned that the H1N1 pandemic is far from over.
The last week of February alone saw 36 people hospitalized because of H1N1 and seasonal flu. In the first week of March the number had almost doubled, rising to 63. The victims, at least in DeKalb County, have been mostly people of color and women. As of March 4, there have been 66 seasonal flu and H1N1-related deaths in Georgia.
?The H1N1 is still here,? said Dr. Elizabeth S. Ford, district health director of Atlanta?s DeKalb County Board of Health, at an ethnic media press conference on March 4. ?The local and state health agencies will continue to monitor this trend.? The press event was organized by New America Media and sponsored by AIR, a nonprofit social science research organization.
Grappling with budget cuts, a shortage of vaccines, and an insufficient public health workforce, Ford attributed the spike of H1N1 and seasonal flu fatalities in Georgia to its low vaccination rate. In DeKalb County alone, the third most populated county in the Atlanta area, only 7 percent of the population got the vaccine since the 2009 H1N1 outbreak.
?There are 760,000 residents in DeKalb County ? and the population count is more than double during daytime ? but less than 55,000 got vaccinated,? said Ford, adding that she was disappointed that the vaccines arrived late.
...
Full article at:
http://news.newamericamedia.org/new..._id=e252c5fb66aa635e524d9569724d7f18&from=rss
<!--
-->
New America Media, News Report, Anthony D. Advincula, Posted: Mar 16, 2010<SCRIPT type=text/javascript>newstrust_icon = 'http://newstrust.net/images/ntbuttons/newstrust_review_link.gif';</SCRIPT>
ATLANTA ? Contrary to perception in the South and other parts of the country that H1N1 virus has already ebbed in recent months, health department officials here reported an unusual uptick in flu cases and warned that the H1N1 pandemic is far from over.
The last week of February alone saw 36 people hospitalized because of H1N1 and seasonal flu. In the first week of March the number had almost doubled, rising to 63. The victims, at least in DeKalb County, have been mostly people of color and women. As of March 4, there have been 66 seasonal flu and H1N1-related deaths in Georgia.
?The H1N1 is still here,? said Dr. Elizabeth S. Ford, district health director of Atlanta?s DeKalb County Board of Health, at an ethnic media press conference on March 4. ?The local and state health agencies will continue to monitor this trend.? The press event was organized by New America Media and sponsored by AIR, a nonprofit social science research organization.
Grappling with budget cuts, a shortage of vaccines, and an insufficient public health workforce, Ford attributed the spike of H1N1 and seasonal flu fatalities in Georgia to its low vaccination rate. In DeKalb County alone, the third most populated county in the Atlanta area, only 7 percent of the population got the vaccine since the 2009 H1N1 outbreak.
?There are 760,000 residents in DeKalb County ? and the population count is more than double during daytime ? but less than 55,000 got vaccinated,? said Ford, adding that she was disappointed that the vaccines arrived late.
...
Full article at:
http://news.newamericamedia.org/new..._id=e252c5fb66aa635e524d9569724d7f18&from=rss