• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Fourth Scots swine flu confirmed

pablomorgan

Well-known member
A fourth case of swine flu has been confirmed in Scotland.

The man, who lives in the Ayrshire and Arran health board area, has no connection to the three cases which had previously been confirmed.

He travelled from the USA to Birmingham on Monday, and then on to Glasgow on Thursday, by which time he was showing symptoms of the virus.

Health officials advised anyone who travelled to Glasgow on Flybe flight BE7096 on Thursday to contact the NHS.

Close contacts

Health Protection Scotland said it had not been possible to contact all the passengers on the flight.

A statement said "some passengers on this flight may be at a low risk of infection with the H1N1 virus".

Health Secretary Nicola Sturgeon said: "This person had travelled to an affected area of the United States and I would like to stress that we still have only one confirmed case of person-to-person spread in Scotland.

"The risk to the general public from this strain of influenza is therefore very low and I would like to remind people to remain calm and continue taking sensible hygiene precautions."

A total of 16 cases have now been confirmed in the UK.

A further 19 possible cases are still under investigation in Scotland.

None of the three previously confirmed cases were giving any cause for concern.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/scotland/8031475.stm
 
Re: Fourth Scots swine flu confirmed

could he have possibly been to this concert.







Print StoryBritain's first swine flu victim was in the audience at a rock concert just days before being diagnosed, it has been revealed.


Newlywed Iain Askham, 27, went to see the Doves in Edinburgh on April 23 after returning from his honeymoon in Cancun, Mexico.

He was among the crowd at the 1,500-capacity HMV Picture House in Lothian Road two days after flying home, but said he had been advised not to reveal he had been at the concert.

But the Scottish Government has defended its decision not to tell concert goers, saying: "In line with Health Protection Scotland guidance, close contacts are followed up whenever any probable or confirmed cases are identified, to offer advice and where appropriate anti-virals.

"We are aware that Mr Askham did attend a concert on April 23 - before he was being treated - but this would not be classed as close contact.

"The risk of spread to others who were around him is low, and it is important to stress that the risk to public health in Scotland remains low."

Mr Askham said: "I told them everything when I was in hospital. They suggested it was best not to mention it to anyone else so as not to cause any panic."

Asked whether he thought it was the right decision to make, he added: "That's not something I want to comment on. It's been a worrying time. I hope things get back to normal soon."

There have now been H1N1 swine flu virus cases throughout the British Isles as the UK infection tally rose to 15 and Ireland revealed its first case.

A six-year-old girl and the husband of a woman already diagnosed with the bug were confirmed as two latest UK outbreaks on Saturday.

Both new cases had recently returned from Mexico. Irish health officials also revealed an individual who had recently been there had the human form of swine flu.

More than 630 other people in the UK and three in Ireland are also undergoing tests for the disease.


http://uk.news.yahoo.com/4/20090503/tuk-swine-flu-victim-went-to-doves-gig-dba1618.html
 
Back
Top