• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Elderly Man Is Sonoma's FIrst H1N1 Flu Victim

Chuck

Moderator
http://www.ktvu.com/idol/19807276/detail.html

Elderly Man Is Sonoma's FIrst H1N1 Flu Victim


Posted: 8:16 pm PDT June 19, 2009Updated: 8:46 pm PDT June 19, 2009

SANTA ROSA -- An elderly man with preexisting medical conditions is Sonoma County's first death from probable H1N1 influenza, Public Health Officer Dr. Mary Maddux-Gonzalez said Friday afternoon.

The man died Friday at a local hospital. No other information about him was released.

Based on laboratory testing at the county's Public Health Lab Thursday afternoon, the man is considered to be a probable case of the H1N1 flu, Maddux-Gonzalez said. Tests to confirm the diagnosis are pending from the State Public Health Laboratory, she said.

"We are saddened by the death of a member of our community and our thoughts and sympathies go out to his family and friends," Maddux-Gonzalez said in a statement.

She said the death is a reminder that even though most cases of the H1N1 flu in the county and state have been mild or moderate, all flu viruses can be deadly and vigilance is needed to prevent the spread of the H1N1 and seasonal flu.

There have been eight deaths in California and 87 in the country from the H1N1 flu this year, Maddux-Gonzalez said.

Napa County health officials confirmed Thursday a 41-year-old woman tested positive for the virus. The woman became ill in late May, did not need to be hospitalized and has recovered, Napa County Public Health Officer Dr. Karen Smith said.

Sonoma County public health officials reported an increase in the number of cases of H1N1 flu in Sonoma County over the last week, Maddux-Gonzalez said.

"We anticipate that we will continue to see more cases over the next several weeks or months now that the H1N1 virus has become well established in California," Maddux-Gonzalez said.

The H1N1 flu spreads through coughing or sneezing like the seasonal flu and its symptoms are similar, health officials say.

Almost all confirmed cases of H1N1 flu have symptoms including fever, cough, sore throat, body aches, headache, chills and tiredness but some people have reported diarrhea and vomiting.

Precautions against catching and spreading the flu include frequent hand washing, covering your nose and mouth when you sneeze, staying home when ill and getting a flu shot in the fall.

Copyright 2009 by KTVU.com and Bay City News. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
 
Back
Top