• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

EGYPT - March 16, 2007+ - News on confirmed/suspected cases

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: EGYPT - March 16, 2007+ - News on confirmed/suspected cases

Egyptian boy, 2, tests positive for bird flu

http://za.today.reuters.com/news/ne...ATP-BIRDFLU-EGYPT-20070319.XML&archived=False

By Aziz El-Kaissouni

CAIRO (Reuters) - A 2-year-old Egyptian boy has tested positive for bird flu, bringing the number of people who have contracted the disease in the most populous Arab country to 26, the Health Ministry said on Monday.

The ministry identified the boy as Youssef Mohamed Mahmoud and said he was admitted to hospital on Friday in Aswan, the same southern city where a 10-year-old girl tested positive for the disease last week. She has since recovered.

"He's in good condition now because Tamiflu was given within 24 hours after the onset of symptoms," John Jabbour, a World Health Organisation official in Cairo, told Reuters.

Jabbour said there was no apparent link between the two Aswan cases, and the Health Ministry said in a statement that members of the boy's family were under observation.

Since the virus first surfaced in Egyptian poultry in early 2006, 13 Egyptians have died from the disease. Most of those who fell ill were reported to have had contact with sick or dead household birds, primarily in northern Egypt.

Egypt has the largest number of confirmed human cases outside of Asia, and with eight confirmed cases this year is among the hardest-hit countries worldwide for 2007.

The U.N. Food and Agriculture Organisation's chief veterinary officer Joseph Domenech said on Thursday that Egypt was one of three countries that still do not have sufficient bird flu controls in place.

Health experts fear the H5N1 virus could mutate into a form that passes easily from human to human, sparking a pandemic that could kill millions. The virus has killed 169 people worldwide since 2003, according to WHO.
 
Re: EGYPT - March 16, 2007+ - News on confirmed/suspected cases

From the WHO's Eastern Med office [not a permanent link, unfortunately]:

New Confirmed Human Case of Avian influenza in Egypt
14 March 2007

(Case number 25)

The national authorities of Egypt have reported a new confirmed human case of avian influenza in Aswan Governorate on the 14th of March 2007. The case is a female 10 years old and she has a history of contact with dead backyard poultry.

This brings up the total number of confirmed human cases of avian influenza in Egypt to 25 with 13 deaths.

http://www.emro.who.int/


Avian influenza - situation in Egypt - update 9

19 March 2007

The Egyptian Ministry of Health and Population has announced a new human case of avian influenza A(H5N1) virus infection. The case was confirmed by the Egyptian Central Public Health Laboratory and by the US Naval Medical Research Unit No.3 (NAMRU-3).

The 10-year-old girl from Aswan Governorate, was admitted to hospital with symptoms on 13 March and her condition remains stable. Investigations indicate that she had recently been exposed to sick poultry. Contacts of the girl are being kept under observation.

Of the 25 cases confirmed to date in Egypt, 13 have been fatal.

http://www.who.int/csr/don/2007_03_19/en/index.html
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top