• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

DR Congo: WHO - Ebola outbreak Dec 20, 2008 + in Congo stabilized

Re: DR Congo: Ebola - 14 Confirmed Deaths, More Suspected, 183 Quarantined

Re: DR Congo: Ebola - 14 Confirmed Deaths, More Suspected, 183 Quarantined

Source: http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2009/02/02/africa/AF-Congo-Ebola.php

WHO: Ebola virus outbreak in Congo stabilized
The Associated Press
Published: February 2, 2009


KINSHASA, Congo: An Ebola virus outbreak in a remote province of Congo that left 15 people dead has stabilized with no new reported cases in the last two weeks, the World Health Organization said Monday.

"The epidemic has stabilized but one cannot say that it's over," said WHO representative Dr. Matthieu Kamwa, who called for continued vigilance.

There have been up to 50 reported cases of the hemorrhagic fever since the outbreak began in Western Kasai province at the end of November, but the last new case was Jan. 18, said Dr. Adolphe Kongolo, a WHO epidemiologist.

Laboratories have officially confirmed 10 of them as Ebola so far but Kongolo said that some victims were buried before samples could be taken for testing. There are also some samples still being examined, he said.

Ebola kills up to 90 percent of the people it infects and is spread through direct contact with the blood or secretions of an infected person or with contaminated objects.

Last year, Ebola killed at least 187 people in the same region of Congo. An Ebola outbreak in 1995 killed 245 people in the Congolese village of Kikwit.
 
Back
Top