• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Confirmation of more swine flu cases triggers alarm

Pathfinder

Editor, Senior Moderator
Thursday, January 07, 2010

Confirmation of more swine flu cases triggers alarm
* One patient goes ?missing?, other in critical condition
* Doctors complain of inadequate protection facilities

By Afnan Khan

LAHORE: The confirmation of at least two more swine flu cases at hospitals has sent a wave of panic across the provincial capital, with one of the patients in critical situation and the other discharged from hospital before the test results came in.

One of the patients ? identified only as 29-year-old Mrs Hasan ? was admitted to Mayo Hospital on December 31 with symptoms of pneumonia, but the hospital administration later, as a precaution, shifted her to the isolation ward set up to treat swine flu patients. However, the patient?s condition improved before the swine flu test results came in, and was discharged on her insistence. The administration was thrown into disarray when the positive results came in, and monitoring of all doctors and paramedics who had treated the patient began. The discharged patient could not be traced: the Health Department tried contacting her using the available information, but in vain.

Meanwhile, the other victim ? admitted to Jinnah Hospital and in critical condition ? developed respiratory complications and was put on a ventilator. The 28-year-old pregnant woman ? identified as Nosheen Zafar from Kasur ? was admitted to the hospital a few days ago and has been under special treatment to counter the deadly virus. But Health Department officials have still not taken any measures to quarantine the patient?s house and inspect family members of the patient ? who is a close relative of a serving MNA and a senior doctor.

Doctors told Daily Times that three more patients suspected of suffering from swine flu were admitted to Mayo Hospital on Wednesday. Their blood samples have been sent for tests to the Institute of Public Health in Lahore.

Young Doctors? Association President Dr Rana Suhail and General Secretary Dr Salman Kazmi told Daily Times while they had already warned of the risk to doctors and paramedics, protection facilities were inadequate. They said although the Mayo Hospital administration was monitoring doctors and paramedics who looked after Mrs Hasan, it should have earlier provided the staff protective masks, dresses and other equipment.

Salman said panic had spread among doctors and staffers at the hospital, and the government must now start thinking about the safety of those who ?save lives before one of them falls victim to the virus?.

However, Mayo Hospital Medical Superintendent Dr Zahid Pervaiz told Daily Times that the hospital administration was providing ?each and every given facility to swine flu patients, doctors and paramedics?. He said doctors were only monitoring those who treated Mrs Hasan ?as a precaution... none of them is even a suspect case?. He said Mrs Hasan was admitted to the hospital with pneumonia symptoms, but she left before the arrival of her swine flu test results.

Allama Iqbal Medical College Principal Prof Dr Javed Akram told Daily Times that swine flu was a ?highly contagious disease... pregnant women are most vulnerable to be affected because of a weakened immune system?. He said people, especially pregnant women, must frequently wash their faces and hands and consult a doctor in case of flu symptoms, fever or prolonged body aches.

http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=2010\01\07\story_7-1-2010_pg13_6
 
Back
Top