• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

China's official H1N1 death count suspect - report

Gert van der Hoek

In Memoriam - Editor, Senior Moderator
China's official H1N1 death count suspect - report

Wed Nov 18, 2009

BEIJING, Nov 19 (Reuters) - China may have had more H1N1 flu deaths than have been reported, with some local governments possibly concealing suspect cases, a prominent Chinese medical expert said in an interview published on Thursday.

Zhong Nanshan, a doctor based in the far southern province of Guangdong, said he doubted the current official death toll from the influenza strain, also called "swine flu", that has medical experts worldwide worried.

"I just don't believe that nationwide there have been in all 53 H1N1 deaths," Zhong told the Southern Metropolis Daily, a popular Guangdong newspaper.

Zhong said that "some areas have not been testing deaths from severe (pneumonia) and treating them as cases of ordinary pneumonia without a question," the paper reported.

Zhong is respected by many people in China for his candour and work in fighting "severe acute respiratory syndrome" (SARS) in 2003, when nationwide panic and international alarm erupted after it emerged that officials hid or underplayed the spreading epidemic.

China, the world's most populous country, has reported 28 new H1N1 deaths in the last week during a cold snap across much of the country, the Ministry of Health said on its website (www.moh.gov.cn).

The latest national death tally issued on Monday on the same website showed 53 death cases.

The H1N1 flu strain affects the respiratory tract and patients who become severely ill or die typically suffer from pneumonia which is brought on either directly by the virus or due to secondary bacterial infections owing to the person's weakened immune system.

"It's irresponsible to treat these cases as ordinary pneumonia deaths," Zhong said of untested deaths, according to the paper.

Zhong said his home Guangdong province was acting responsibly, but the report did not say which areas he had doubts about.

Cover-ups by local governments in 2003 during the SARS epidemic led to the sackings of several officials. More than 300 people died in that outbreak.

The Health Ministry did not have immediate comments on Zhong's remarks.

Zhong said China's peak flu season will start in December and last until February next year in the north of the country, a time when Chinese gather for the traditional Lunar New Year.

China is preparing for possible wider outbreaks. More than 34.8 million people have received free vaccination until Wednesday, the ministry said.

http://www.reuters.com/article/swin...S&feedName=swineFlu&virtualBrandChannel=10521
 
Re: China's official H1N1 death count suspect - report

Local officials urged to tell H1N1 truthBy Shan Juan (China Daily)
Updated: 2009-11-20 07:29 Comments(0) PrintMailThe Ministry of Health (MOH) Thursday vowed to punish officials who underreport the H1N1 flu pandemic following criticism from a prominent medical expert who cast doubt on China's official death toll from the disease.


Some medical experts have wondered aloud whether the country's H1N1 data matches the reality. They pointed to limitations in medical capacity and the fact that hospitals are not testing everyone with flu symptoms for H1N1 as reasons why the outbreak may have been underreported.

But Zhong Nanshan, a Guangzhou-based doctor famous for his candor in exposing a cover-up of the SARS epidemic in 2003, took concerns a step further, suggesting some local governments had deliberately concealed suspected cases.

"I just don't believe that there have been 53 H1N1 deaths nationwide," Zhong told the Southern Metropolis Daily. He said the number could be far higher.

The MOH reported that there had been 69,160 H1N1 cases on the mainland as of Monday.

In the article, Zhong said some parts of the country - he would not say which parts - were not testing severe pneumonia deaths to see if they were, in fact, H1N1 deaths.

MOH spokesman Deng Haihua responded by saying that anyone found concealing, underreporting or delaying the reporting of details about the pandemic would be punished.

Deng also invited the public and the media to oversee the transparent and timely reporting of the H1N1 situation.

Vivian Tan, press officer with the World Health Organization's (WHO) Beijing office, said WHO staff are not able to say whether claims of deliberate underreporting at the local level are accurate.

"We know the MOH has been urging local health authorities to report H1N1 cases in a transparent way and we do not suspect deliberate underreporting from the ministry," she noted.

She suggested that the country should focus its resources on monitoring bigger trends and unusual developments, as well as treating severe cases and continuing the vaccination of as many people as possible.

Meanwhile, nine special teams of MOH officials have been sent to 12 provinces - including Hebei, Shanxi, and Qinghai - to inspect local pandemic control work, particularly the treatment of severe cases.

Feng Zijian, director of the emergency response department under the Chinese Center for Disease Prevention and Control (CDC), said that H1N1 cases are too plentiful to count and noted that the testing of every flu patient for H1N1 was not necessary.

Feng conceded that there likely have been more H1N1 infections and deaths nationwide than has been reported. But he criticized Zhong for his claim of a cover-up.

"China is huge and its medical resources are not evenly distributed," Feng said. "It is understandable that medical workers in some areas have failed to report the pandemic accurately."

As in many other countries, China is not able to diagnose and record every H1N1 case, some experts have said, noting the fact that some people with H1N1 could conceivably stay at home and not seek medical help.

The US Center for Disease Control estimated that the number of H1N1 infections in the US was 140 times the official number.

Cover-ups during the SARS epidemic reportedly led to the sackings of several top officials, including the then health minister and mayor of Beijing. More than 300 people died in that outbreak.

Going forward, Deng said the government will strengthen supervision of pandemic reporting.

Experts said that will happen if communication between the local and central health departments is improved.

As of Wednesday, more than 18.2 million people had received a free vaccination against the virus, the ministry added.
http://www.chinadaily.com.cn/world/2009-11/20/content_9007169.htm
 
Back
Top