• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

China probes deaths of 8 infants from infections [Reuters AlertNet]

Giuseppe

Emeritus
China probes deaths of 8 infants from infections [Reuters AlertNet]

China probes deaths of 8 infants from infections

25 Sep 2008 15:05:19 GMT

Source: Reuters

BEIJING, Sept 25 (Reuters) -

A Chinese hospital faces an investigation for failing to report the deaths of 8 newborn babies from infections earlier this month, the official Xinhua news agency said on Thursday.


The deaths between Sept. 5-15 were apparently due to "iatrogenic" infections -- illnesses spread by poor hygiene in hospitals -- and not from the toxic milk powder that has stricken thousands of other children across China, Xinhua said.

But like the milk scandal, the deaths at the Xi'an Jiaotong University Number One Hospital in the northwest province of Shaanxi may have involved a cover-up, the report said.

Because the hospital "had not reported [the deaths] to the health authorities as required", the Shaanxi government ordered the hospital to "pursue culpability for late and deceptive reporting", the report said.

The report did not specify how the hospital handled the deaths.

The Xi'an hospital authorities could not be contacted late on Thursday night.

The Ministry of Health learnt of the newborn deaths on Tuesday, and on Wednesday province authorities ordered the ward for newborn children shut down, as well as a thorough check of the hospital to prevent a fresh outbreak.

China is battling a scandal over tainted infant milk formula that has crowded hospitals with close to 13,000 children suffering kidney problems and other complications.

Four have died from those poisonings, which a dairy company and local officials did not report to senior officials and to the public for months.

(Reporting by Chris Buckley; Editing by Paul Tait)
--
<cite cite="http://www.alertnet.org/thenews/newsdesk/PEK250271.htm">Reuters AlertNet - China probes deaths of 8 infants from infections</cite>
 
Re: China probes deaths of 8 infants from infections [Reuters AlertNet]

Hospital-acquired infection suspected as 8 newborns die in NW China [English_Xinhua]

Hospital-acquired infection suspected as 8 newborns die in NW China

www.chinaview.cn 2008-09-25 21:11:06

XI'AN, Sept. 25 (Xinhua) --

Eight newborns died between Sept. 5and 15 in a hospital in northwest China's Shaanxi province, with an iatrogenic (hospital-acquired) infection suspected as the cause, local authorities confirmed on Thursday.


The babies were among the 94 admitted by the No. 1 hospital affiliated with the College of Medicine, Xi'an Jiaotong University in Shaanxi's capital, between Aug. 28 and Sept. 16.

Some were born in the hospital while others were admitted for various illnesses, local sources said. An initial investigation found no connection between the deaths and the milk powder fed to the babies.

The Shaanxi provincial government has urged the university to punish those who tried to cover up the incident.

Zheng Xiaoming, vice governor of Shaanxi, ordered the newborn wards to be closed and disinfected so as to prevent more infections.

A task force of experts from the State Health Ministry and the Health Department of Shaanxi are conducting further investigations.

Editor: An
--
<cite cite="http://rss.xinhuanet.com/newsc/english/2008-09/25/content_10111472.htm">Hospital-acquired infection suspected as 8 newborns die in NW China_English_Xinhua</cite>
 
Back
Top