• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

China evacuates 100,000 ahead of typhoon Hagupit

Gert van der Hoek

In Memoriam - Editor, Senior Moderator
China evacuates 100,000 ahead of typhoon

James Pomfret , Reuters

Published: Wednesday, September 24, 2008

HONG KONG - China evacuated more than 100,000 people from southern coastal areas before a typhoon ploughed ashore Wednesday after killing at least eight people in the Philippines.

Typhoon Hagupit whipped past Hong Kong overnight, uprooting trees and causing flash floods in low-lying areas including Lantau island, where the city's airport is located, with dozens of people injured across the territory.

China's Meteorological Administration issued an "urgent red alert", its highest-level warning, as the storm made landfall in the morning, downgrading the storm from Category 4 to 3 once it made landfall.


More than 50,000 ships had been called back to port and authorities in Guangdong province, the manufacturing hub of China, evacuated tens of thousands of people from the area, Xinhua news said.

Torrential rain and more flooding was forecast. Hagupit would also hit Guangxi, to the west of Guangdong, and the tropical resort island of Hainan, authorities said.

Hong Kong flights were disrupted Tuesday night stranding scores of passengers in the airport.

The Hong Kong Observatory lowered its No. 8 gale or storm signa, clearing the way for the opening of financial markets and most businesses on Wednesday.

Schools however will be shut.

At least 14 miners remained trapped in a gold mine in the north of the Philippines after rainwater flooded a shaft.

The National Disaster Coordinating Council said four people drowned, three were buried by landslides and one was electrocuted when the storm lashed the country's northern region. Some areas were isolated due to floods and landslides.

Several towns in the Philippines remained without power and telephone service.

In Vietnam, the government said Hagupit would bring heavy rains Wednesday night that could herald flash floods and landslides in northern coastal and mountainous provinces, including Quang Ninh, the country's main coal producing area.

As of late Tuesday, more than 30,000 Vietnamese fishermen were still working offshore in the area that may be affected by the storm, the border army force reported.

Tropical storms in the region gather intensity from the warm ocean waters and frequently develop into typhoons that hit Taiwan, Japan, the Philippines and southern China during a season that lasts from early summer to late autumn.

In China's quake-hit province of Sichuan, 14 people have gone missing in landslides triggered by heavy rain, Xinhua quoted a local official as saying.

Heavy rain, not related to the typhoon, also hit the Tangjiashan area, blocking the sluice of the dangerous "quake lake", formed by mudslides blocking valleys, and raising its water level by five metres.

The area was the worst hit in the May 12 quake in which more than 80,000 people died.

http://www.canada.com/topics/news/world/story.html?id=05dae4ea-b2e6-4992-8772-cee5b12ec565
 
Re: China evacuates 100,000 ahead of typhoon Hagupit

China Storms Leave 18 People Dead; 20,000 Stranded (Update1)​
By James Peng

Sept. 25 (Bloomberg)

A typhoon and torrential rains killed at least 18 people in southern and central China, leaving more than 20,000 stranded in Sichuan province, which was devastated by an earthquake earlier this year.

Heavy rain in Sichuan killed at least eight people and left 38 missing, the official Xinhua News Agency said.

As much as 34 centimeters (13.4 inches) of rain fell in the last two days, the China Meteorological Administration said.

Officials are concerned about the safety of residents as roads and telephone lines were cut after the rains caused floods and mudslides, Xinhua said, citing the Jiangyou municipal government.

Sichuan is still rebuilding cities devastated by a 7.9-magnitude earthquake in May that killed 69,226 people and left 15 million homeless.

The rainstorms damaged 1,100 houses in Beichuan County in Sichuan and 6,500 people were being evacuated, Xinhua said. Rescue workers found 2,476 houses collapsed in Shifang City and evacuated about 3,500 people, Xinhua said.

More than 1,000 kilometers (600 miles) to the south, the death toll rose to 10 after Typhoon Hagupit smashed into the coast of Guangdong province early yesterday, Xinhua said.

The storm left two missing and caused losses of 6.3 billion yuan ($924 million), Xinhua said, citing the State Flood Control and Drought Relief Headquarters.

Evacuating Residents

About 8.5 million people in Guangdong and neighboring Guangxi province were affected by the storm and 387,400 were evacuated to safer areas, Xinhua said in an earlier report. Hagupit destroyed 18,500 houses, the latest report said.

Another typhoon is building east of the Philippines, where 8 people died when Hagupit passed by Luzon earlier this week.

Typhoon Jangmi strengthened today from a tropical storm and was located about 1,240 kilometers east of Manila at 2 p.m. Philippines time today, the U.S. Navy Joint Typhoon Center said.

The storm's maximum sustained winds were at 120 kph as it headed northwest at 26 kph. Jangmi is forecast to strengthen and head toward Taiwan and the southeastern coast of China. Its winds are expected to strengthen to 204 kph by Sept. 28.

Jangmi, the 19th storm of the northwest Pacific cyclone season, means rose in the Korean language, according to the Web site of the Hong Kong Observatory, which lists names used for cyclones in the region.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=20601080&sid=ahW2XTk8wmf0&refer=asia
 
Back
Top