• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

China Clamps Down on Coronavirus Coverage as Cases Surge

Shiloh

Editor, Senior Moderator
Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/05/world/asia/china-coronavirus-censorship.html

China Clamps Down on Coronavirus Coverage as Cases Surge
Public frustrations were once left uncensored online, and news outlets reported rigorously on the epidemic. Those days may be past.
By Raymond Zhong
Published Feb. 5, 2020
Updated Feb. 6, 2020, 10:54 a.m. ET

...With frustrations running high across the country, China’s leaders appear to be strengthening information controls after a brief spell in which news organizations were able to report thoroughly on the crisis, and many negative comments about the official response were left uncensored online.

In recent days, both state-run news media and more commercially minded outlets have been told to focus on positive stories about virus relief efforts, according to three people at Chinese news organizations who spoke on the condition of anonymity to discuss internal directives...
 
Translation Google

Beijing regains control of information

Coronavirus Chinese power imposes strict control on the population and the media in the "battle against the epidemic".

Zhifan Liu
Beijing
ABO +
02/06/2020

The President of China has whistled for the end of recess. After a period of relative openness, conducive to criticism, Xi Jinping called earlier this week to "strengthen control" online of information. In the viewfinder, the reproaches of the population who initially focused on the attitude of the local authorities of Wuhan and Hubei province, the focus of the epidemic. Subsequently, the discontent went to the central authorities, an unacceptable step for the Chinese authorities. Since Xi Jinping's announcement, several WeChat accounts of citizens complaining about their government have been suspended, both in China and abroad.

The other victim is the Chinese press. Muzzled since the arrival of the president at the head of the country in 2012, it had found some of its letters of nobility, with in chief the financial magazine "Caixin", founded in 2010. Considered independent, the newspaper has sent his reporters to Wuhan to cover the start of the epidemic. The latter decided to remain in the city at the dawn of its quarantine. On the ground, its reporters uncovered the loopholes in the local health system, interviewed critical experts in the management of the crisis by the Chinese authorities and relayed the cases of people with coronavirus who were not treated for lack of available medical equipment.

Freedom of your fleeting

In a forum of rare freedom of tone, "Caixin" even called for more transparency in the disclosure of information. "President Xi Jinping said," The epidemic is a devil, and we must not let it hide. "But the devil is in the details and, if the process is not transparent, it will inevitably have a hiding place. ”A citizen journalist, Fang Bin, was arrested and then released by police officers dressed as medical staff, for having posted videos of dead patients online in the corridors of a hospital in Wuhan.

State media has taken over and is now spreading the good news, while stubbornly beating up the United States and its restrictive measures against Chinese travelers. Xinhua, the official news agency, called on the propaganda to focus on "touching achievements from the front lines in preventing the epidemic" and to "show the unity and spirit of the Chinese people in moments difficult ". In the process, more than 300 journalists from official bodies were sent to the field by the Central Propaganda Department.

This recovery shows a certain tension at the head of the state, while Xi Jinping has shone by his absence last week. If his name still appeared in the propaganda articles, his face was missing from the front page of the "People's Daily", China's main newspaper. He reappeared Wednesday during the visit of Cambodian Prime Minister Hun Sen. An ally of China, whom he considers a "friendly country", the authoritarian leader boasted that he had not suspended travel to China and even offered to visit the center of the epidemic, as a sign of good will.

In Wuhan, some 50 million citizens are still subjected to forced isolation. Drones watch the city and remind the reckless daring to go out on the street to return home "for their own safety". Other regions are subject to similar quarantines. In the east of the country, the cities of Hangzhou, Ningbo, Taizhou and Wenzhou (27 million people in all) have put restrictions on their inhabitants. In each household, only one member can go out every two days to go shopping.

A panic-stricken population

In Beijing, no official quarantine, but the streets are deserted by a panic-stricken population, while the death toll of the coronavirus in the capital amounts to 274 cases for one death. Despite extended holidays until next Monday, some Beijingers have returned to their city. Upon their return, they had to submit to a temperature control outside their residence. Many impose isolation to protect themselves from the virus. “I came back this weekend from Liaoning Province. Since then, I have been confined to my home for fourteen days as a precaution, ”explains Qiang, a young Pekingese who has been teleworking since the start of the week.

Some residences require residents of foreign provinces to remain in solitary confinement for two weeks, the incubation period for the coronavirus. At the entrance to the subdivisions, guards monitor the temperature of each resident. People who do not have an apartment are prohibited from crossing the gates. Afraid of being contaminated, people have little choice but to accept all of these drastic measures, while dissonant voices are being stifled by Chinese power.

Created: 06.02.2020, 19h58

https://www.tdg.ch/monde/pekin-reprend-controleinformation/story/10478404
 
Back
Top