• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

California - Second death related to swine flu in San Mateo

Gert van der Hoek

In Memoriam - Editor, Senior Moderator
Second death related to swine flu in San Mateo County

By Shaun Bishop




Posted: 06/27/2009

A middle-aged man who died earlier this week is the second person in San Mateo County to succumb to complications from the swine flu virus, a health spokeswoman said Friday.

The man was obese and had a lung condition that likely was a factor in his death, Health System spokeswoman Doris Estremera said.

Though the man died Monday, county health officials did not receive confirmation until Wednesday that he tested positive for the H1N1 strain of the influenza virus, Estremera said.

Chief Health Officer Scott Morrow announced Monday the county's first swine flu-related death ? a middle-aged woman who had underlying heart and lung conditions and succumbed within the previous three weeks.
"This individual could easily have died if she just got seasonal flu," Morrow said.

The county will send DNA samples from the woman to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention for further testing, he said.
There probably have been thousands of people in the county sickened by the swine flu virus and nearly all of the 31 confirmed cases have been mild, Morrow said.

He encouraged residents to take common-sense steps to avoid the spread of the flu ? wash hands frequently, cover the mouth to contain coughing, and stay home when feeling sick.

http://www.insidebayarea.com/sanmateocountytimes/localnews/ci_12704472
 
Back
Top