• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Boy, 6, tests positive for swine flu

Arkanoid Legent

Well-known member
A six-year-old Durban boy has tested positive for Novel Influenza A (H1N1), previously known as swine flu.

The child, his father and his sister were admitted to a Chatsworth hospital on Sunday and immediately placed in isolation as a precaution.

A Chatsmed Gardens Hospital spokeswoman, Leanne Nyiri, said only the boy had tested positive. His father's results were expected to be released on Friday.

The trio had flu-like symptoms, but the children's mother was not in hospital as she had not been affected.

http://www.iol.co.za/index.php?set_id=1&click_id=125&art_id=vn20100917043202236C238136
 
Re: Boy, 6, tests positive for swine flu

Durban swine flu family back home

Despite being discharged from hospital on Friday, the Chatsworth family - who refused to be identified - is still not in the clear. They still await the father's results, which will be released next week.

Last year, South Africa recorded more than 90 swine flu-related deaths.

The boy's 10-year-old sister, who also presented with severe flu symptoms, was cleared of the virus, while their mother remained unaffected.

The mother, who works at a private hospital in Durban, said her husband, who is also a hospital worker, was the first in the family to present with severe flu-like symptoms last Friday.

"He felt terrible. But I never thought it would be serious. I later received a call from the school my daughter attends saying she was unwell. They had critically unstable body temperatures."

A day later, she battled to stabilise her six-year-old son, who was also feverish.

The family was then admitted to a local hospital, where they were kept in isolation, after the son tested positive for the virus.

The woman said she was relieved that her family had responded to the treatment and had returned home.

"I am grateful that God has seen me through this tough time and that my family are well," she said, adding that the community had treated them insensitively.

Hospital spokesman Leanne Nyiri confirmed that the boy tested positive for the H1N1 virus, adding that the results for the father were not yet available.

"The family has responded well to treatment, are in a stable condition and (have been) discharged," said Nyiri.

Head of epidemiology at the National Institute of Communicable DiseasesDr Lucille Blumberg said experts were not concerned about the H1N1 virus, which had become part of a seasonal influenza.

http://www.timeslive.co.za/sundaytimes/article665717.ece/Durban-swine-flu-family-back-home
 
Back
Top