Brothers get jab of security with swine flu shots
Kate O'Neill | 13th August 2009
SUFFOLK PARK brothers Davis and Harrison Rutter are among the first children in the world to be vaccinated against swine flu.
The boys, aged eight and six, received their shots on Monday at the Royal Brisbane Children's Hospital, as part of a world-first clinical trial of the vaccine on children.
Their mother, Anne Rutter, said both her sons suffered from asthma and Harrison had extra small bronchial tubes, which put him at greater risk of complications if he were to contract swine flu.
?It would potentially be life-threatening for him,? she said.
Ms Rutter heard about the trial on the Internet and signed up her sons as soon as she was able.
She said she had some reservations about potential side-effects of the vaccine, but believed the benefits would outweigh any risks.
?I held my breath for the first five minutes after the vaccination and I didn't sleep the night before,? she said.
?But I have more faith in science and doctors, and their ability to create a safe vaccine, than in the unpredictability of getting swine flu.?
Ms Rutter has been so worried about her children catching H1N1 that she has kept them out of school since the start of this term.
They won't be returning until after they receive their second swine flu shots in three weeks.
?Some people might think I'm paranoid, but swine flu is not as straight forward as a lot of people may think,? she said
?It can cause pneumonia in the healthiest of people and kill them.?
So far, Davis and Harrison have shown no adverse reaction to the vaccine.
A swine flu vaccine is expected to be available to the general public by October.
http://www.northernstar.com.au/story/2009/08/13/brothers-get-jab-of-security-with-swine-flu-shots/
Kate O'Neill | 13th August 2009
SUFFOLK PARK brothers Davis and Harrison Rutter are among the first children in the world to be vaccinated against swine flu.
The boys, aged eight and six, received their shots on Monday at the Royal Brisbane Children's Hospital, as part of a world-first clinical trial of the vaccine on children.
Their mother, Anne Rutter, said both her sons suffered from asthma and Harrison had extra small bronchial tubes, which put him at greater risk of complications if he were to contract swine flu.
?It would potentially be life-threatening for him,? she said.
Ms Rutter heard about the trial on the Internet and signed up her sons as soon as she was able.
She said she had some reservations about potential side-effects of the vaccine, but believed the benefits would outweigh any risks.
?I held my breath for the first five minutes after the vaccination and I didn't sleep the night before,? she said.
?But I have more faith in science and doctors, and their ability to create a safe vaccine, than in the unpredictability of getting swine flu.?
Ms Rutter has been so worried about her children catching H1N1 that she has kept them out of school since the start of this term.
They won't be returning until after they receive their second swine flu shots in three weeks.
?Some people might think I'm paranoid, but swine flu is not as straight forward as a lot of people may think,? she said
?It can cause pneumonia in the healthiest of people and kill them.?
So far, Davis and Harrison have shown no adverse reaction to the vaccine.
A swine flu vaccine is expected to be available to the general public by October.
http://www.northernstar.com.au/story/2009/08/13/brothers-get-jab-of-security-with-swine-flu-shots/