• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Australia, Queensland 12 imported Zika cases notified: 2 in 2016 YTD, 3 in 2015 and 7 in 2014

Gert van der Hoek

In Memoriam - Editor, Senior Moderator
Australia - Queensland Government, Health

3 February 2016

Zika virus

Routine testing for Zika virus was introduced in Queensland in 2014. Since then there have been 10 notifications, seven in 2014, three in 2015 and none in 2016 YTD. All notifications were imported cases from the Cook Islands, Vanuatu and Solomon Islands. They were associated with known outbreaks in these countries at the time of import.
While there have been no cases of Zika virus infection in Queensland in 2016, Queensland Health has both the prior experience and appropriate measures in place to help control the spread of mosquito-borne diseases such as Zika virus.
 
Second case of Zika virus confirmed in Queensland

A child who first presented at hospital on Thursday night has been confirmed as the second case of the Zika virus in Queensland this year.

The child recently returned to Australia from Samoa and is currently recovering at home.

The confirmation of the second case follows the case of a Queensland woman who returned to Australia from El Salvador.
The woman is recovering well on the Gold Coast. She has been discharged from hospital and there is no risk to her, her family or the general public from the virus.

In Queensland, seven cases of the disease were confirmed in 2014 and three cases in 2015.

Minister for Health and Ambulance Services Cameron Dick, who during the week convened the Zika Preparedness Roundtable, said that he had asked Queensland Health to speed up an initial public health campaign on social media and in newspapers.

READ MORE
 
Health experts warn Zika virus will enter Australia, with north Queensland likely spot for outbreak

February 2, 2016


HEALTH experts believe it is almost impossible to stop the mosquito-borne Zika virus from entering Australia, with an outbreak more likely in Tropical North Queensland.


The state’s Far North would be a breeding hotspot for the virus and already has the type of mosquitoes which spread the infection.

The World Health Organisation yesterday declared the virus — linked to brain damage in babies — a global public health emergency.

It was reported last night that two cases of infection had been detected in two NSW residents.
They had recently travelled in the Caribbean before heading back to Sydney.

“It is very unlikely that Zika virus established local transmission in NSW as the mosquitoes that spread the infection are not established here — although they are found in some parts of north Queensland,” NSW Health’s director of communicable diseases, Dr Vicky Sheppeard, said.
 
Queensland announces $1.4 million program to fight Zika

Date February 6, 2016 -

Queensland Health is boosting its Zika monitoring and management program by $1.4 million, including a $400,000 expansion of Townsville testing facilities where the risk of infection is greatest.

The expanded, more rapid testing program, to begin on March 1, was announced as health authorities confirmed a second positive test for the virus in Queensland.

READ MORE
 
Back
Top