• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

Australia condemns fake A/H1N1 flu posters

Sally Furniss

Well-known member
Australia condemns fake A/H1N1 flu posters as toll rises
2009-05-26

CANBERRA, May 26 (Xinhua) -- The Australian Government condemned unauthorized A/H1N1 flu alert posters on Tuesday, saying it was hampering the government's efforts to manage the spread of the disease.

Health Minister Nicola Roxon said Tuesday she had received reports that fake posters, purporting to be from the Department of Health and Ageing and the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, had appeared in New South Wales recently.

The posters claim particular areas in Australia are A/H1N1 flu affected, but Roxon said the public should be aware that the virus does not exist in specific public spaces and was passed on through human and animal contact.

"Obviously these are not official government communications," Roxon told reporters in Canberra.

Roxon said she did not know who was behind the recent posters but her department was not looking to prosecute the distributors yet, saying it was "too early".

Last week false A/H1N1 flu alert billboards also appeared in Sydney and Melbourne as part of a publicity stunt for the new series of the Australian Broadcasting Corporation's (ABC) hit show, The Chaser's War on Everything.

In a related development, a 32-year-old woman and her eight-year-old daughter from Clifton Hill in Melbourne's inner north were two of the latest cases, bringing Australia's number of confirmed A/H1N1 cases to 25, with more expected. Roxon said 55 people were being tested for the virus around the country.

Five schools around the country have been closed in response to the disease; whilst new measures such as using health declaration cards on all docking cruise ships and keeping children who had traveled to A/H1N1 affected countries away from school have been introduced.

http://news.xinhuanet.com/english/2009-05/26/content_11437084.htm
 
Back
Top