Sally Furniss
Well-known member
Re: Australia: 634 confirmed cases
Re: Australia: 634 confirmed cases
<headline>Victorian swine flu tally jumps to 752</headline>
<!-- Class 'push-0' just right-aligns the element so that the main content comes first. --> <!-- cT-storyDetails --> <cite>June 4, 2009 - 6:34PM</cite>
An interstate stoush has broken out over NSW's decision to impose a seven-day quarantine period on children returning from Melbourne, as Victoria's swine flu toll hit 752.
The figure includes the latest spike of 231 cases - far higher than any other state. NSW is coming a distant second with 74 cases.
While other states, including South Australia, Queensland and Tasmania, have made similar quarantine decisions, it's NSW that has received a lashing from Victorian Premier John Brumby.
He suggested a decision by NSW Health, to ban returning children from attending school for a week, could be an act of retaliation for Victoria's successful tourism push in NSW.
"Swine flu is an international and national phenomenon and that's the fact of the matter ... and frankly I thought the statements made by particularly the NSW government were just silly and extreme," Mr Brumby told reporters.
"I don't know what's driving this from a NSW point of view.
"I do know that we launched a very successful tourism campaign in NSW just a little while ago, I do know that there are lots of NSW citizens who have been attracted to Victoria, maybe it's a bit of retaliation for a successful tourism campaign."
He said swine flu had been in the community for "some time" and it was likely it would spread through NSW just as it had through Victoria.
"So to say that people shouldn't travel is really a nonsense," he said, adding that tens of thousands of people travel between the neighbouring states each day."
"To say that children who've attended a State of Origin game in Victoria ... when they return to NSW they are not allowed to go to school goes against all the advice that is provided by experts and the health protection committee."
Earlier in the day, he described the decision as "bizarre".
But NSW Premier Nathan Rees defended his government's decision.
"What we do have is cases of community transmission in Victoria that we don't have in NSW," he told reporters in Sydney.
"NSW, like Queensland, will take all necessary precautions to minimise the spread of swine flu.
"We take advice from medical experts on this, no one else."
Victorian Health Minister Daniel Andrews denied Victoria had been blacklisted.
"At the end of the day, I think that decision will be rendered unworkable very, very soon as we see numbers grow in other states and I would not say that decision was proportionate with the risks posed by the H1N1 virus," Mr Andrews told reporters.
He believed other states would "come in line" with Victoria soon.
Victoria has moved its flu alert level from contain to modified sustain, meaning resources are now focussed on high-risk areas, rather than on closing schools and quarantining people.
Mr Andrews said as part of the new phase, extensive testing for the virus would no longer be required, as those who meet the definition of carrying swine flu will be given anti-viral medication by their doctor.
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-...ine-flu-tally-jumps-to-752-20090604-bw93.html
Re: Australia: 634 confirmed cases
<headline>Victorian swine flu tally jumps to 752</headline>
<!-- Class 'push-0' just right-aligns the element so that the main content comes first. --> <!-- cT-storyDetails --> <cite>June 4, 2009 - 6:34PM</cite>
An interstate stoush has broken out over NSW's decision to impose a seven-day quarantine period on children returning from Melbourne, as Victoria's swine flu toll hit 752.
The figure includes the latest spike of 231 cases - far higher than any other state. NSW is coming a distant second with 74 cases.
While other states, including South Australia, Queensland and Tasmania, have made similar quarantine decisions, it's NSW that has received a lashing from Victorian Premier John Brumby.
He suggested a decision by NSW Health, to ban returning children from attending school for a week, could be an act of retaliation for Victoria's successful tourism push in NSW.
"Swine flu is an international and national phenomenon and that's the fact of the matter ... and frankly I thought the statements made by particularly the NSW government were just silly and extreme," Mr Brumby told reporters.
"I don't know what's driving this from a NSW point of view.
"I do know that we launched a very successful tourism campaign in NSW just a little while ago, I do know that there are lots of NSW citizens who have been attracted to Victoria, maybe it's a bit of retaliation for a successful tourism campaign."
He said swine flu had been in the community for "some time" and it was likely it would spread through NSW just as it had through Victoria.
"So to say that people shouldn't travel is really a nonsense," he said, adding that tens of thousands of people travel between the neighbouring states each day."
"To say that children who've attended a State of Origin game in Victoria ... when they return to NSW they are not allowed to go to school goes against all the advice that is provided by experts and the health protection committee."
Earlier in the day, he described the decision as "bizarre".
But NSW Premier Nathan Rees defended his government's decision.
"What we do have is cases of community transmission in Victoria that we don't have in NSW," he told reporters in Sydney.
"NSW, like Queensland, will take all necessary precautions to minimise the spread of swine flu.
"We take advice from medical experts on this, no one else."
Victorian Health Minister Daniel Andrews denied Victoria had been blacklisted.
"At the end of the day, I think that decision will be rendered unworkable very, very soon as we see numbers grow in other states and I would not say that decision was proportionate with the risks posed by the H1N1 virus," Mr Andrews told reporters.
He believed other states would "come in line" with Victoria soon.
Victoria has moved its flu alert level from contain to modified sustain, meaning resources are now focussed on high-risk areas, rather than on closing schools and quarantining people.
Mr Andrews said as part of the new phase, extensive testing for the virus would no longer be required, as those who meet the definition of carrying swine flu will be given anti-viral medication by their doctor.
http://news.theage.com.au/breaking-...ine-flu-tally-jumps-to-752-20090604-bw93.html