• FluTrackers.com Inc. does not provide medical advice. Information on this web site is collected from various internet resources, and the FluTrackers board of directors makes no warranty to the safety, efficacy, correctness or completeness of the information posted on this site by any author or poster. The information collated here is for instructional and/or discussion purposes only and is NOT intended to diagnose or treat any disease, illness, or other medical condition. Every individual reader or poster should seek advice from their personal physician/healthcare practitioner before considering or using any interventions that are discussed on this website. By continuing to access this website you agree to consult your personal physican before using any interventions posted on this website, and you agree to hold harmless FluTrackers.com Inc., the board of directors, the members, and all authors and posters for any effects from use of any medication, supplement, vitamin or other substance, device, intervention, etc. mentioned in posts on this website, or other internet venues referenced in posts on this website.
  • We are not asking for any donations. Do not donate to any entity who says they are raising funds for us.

​Ebola threat to Guinea Bissau rises as border zone heats up

Pathfinder

Editor, Senior Moderator
Ebola threat to Guinea Bissau rises as border zone heats up

Published June 02, 2015Reuters

DAKAR ? Violent protests against Ebola controls in a north Guinea town have prompted the Red Cross to withdraw workers, undermining efforts to stop the spread of Ebola into neighboring Guinea Bissau.
...
Boke had reported no Ebola cases for months and then reported six cases within a fortnight in May, resulting in a list of more than 230 people deemed at risk of catching the haemorrhagic fever, according to the World Health Organization.

On Friday, an angry crowd attacked a police station and public buildings in the Boke's Kamsar after aid workers sought to identify a woman believed to have been in contact with an Ebola patient, residents said.
...
Two Red Cross cars and an employee's home were attacked while a warehouse containing equipment for safe Ebola burials, seen as critical to containing the virus, was incinerated.
...
Ambler added that she was "very concerned" that Ebola could spread from Guinea to Guinea Bissau.
...
Already the WHO says a person who attended an Ebola funeral in Boke is thought to have returned to a fishing community in Guinea Bissau, where many Guineans commute to daily.

The IFRC has sent a team of experts there to reinforce anti-Ebola measures, it said.

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2015/...-guinea-bissau-rises-as-border-zone-heats-up/


----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------


Press release

Red Cross deploys Ebola preparedness team to at risk border area of Guinea-Bissau

Accra, 28 May 2015 ? The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent
Societies (IFRC) has sent a team of experts to Guinea-Bissau after a rash of confirmed
Ebola cases in neighbouring Guinea.

Two epidemiologists and a preparedness coordinator arrived in Guinea-Bissau on the
weekend to trace contacts and prevent and prepare for a possible Ebola outbreak in the
small West African country.

?The risk is imminent so we are preparing now to be ready should the worst happen,? said
Youcef Ait Chellouche, deputy head of IFRC?s regional Ebola operation.


At least one sick person is believed to have recently crossed the border several times from
Guinea to Guinea-Bissau. Efforts to trace that person have so far been unsuccessful.

After more than 200 days of no cases in the northwestern Guinean prefecture of Boke, five
cases were recently reported. Boke is on the border with Guinea-Bissau and many people
cross the border daily to tend their fields or go to work.

?We already have a plan for trained volunteers to start social mobilization activities, and soon
we will begin training teams in how to conduct safe and dignified burials,? said Ait
Chellouche.

?With the support of the International Committee of the Red Cross, we have sent four safe
and dignified burials team kits to Guinea-Bissau to be placed in at-risk areas. The kits
contain all the materials needed to keep our teams safe should they be called in to respond,?
he added.

As part of its operations to prepare at-risk countries in the event the Ebola outbreak should
spread beyond the three main affected countries, in October 2014, IFRC released 49,168
Swiss francs from its Disaster Relief Emergency Fund (DREF) to the Red Cross Society of
Guinea-Bissau. These funds were used to train 130 volunteers in social mobilization and
contact tracing. The Red Cross is also planning to raise community awareness of Ebola
through national radio programmes and printed materials.

?Community engagement is the key to successfully fighting Ebola, and this will be one of our
priorities,? said Ait Chellouche.

The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) is the world?s largest
volunteer-based humanitarian network, reaching 150 million people each year through its 189
member National Societies. Together, IFRC acts before, during and after disasters and health

https://ebolaresponse.un.org/sites/...risk_border_area_of_guinea-bissau_final_2.pdf
 
Translation Google

Ebola: reinforced surveillance along the border with Guinea-Conakry

Mapa-da-Guin%C3%A9-Bissau.gif


13.06.2015 News

Bissau (ANG, June 12, 2015) - The Ministry of Health of Guinea-Bissau strengthened surveillance measures against Ebola in the regions of Gabu and Tombali which border with Boke, Guinea the region affected recently by the Ebola virus.

The information was given today in Bissau by the President of the National Institute of Health (INASA), Placido Cardoso, during a press conference in which he announced the preventive measures taken to cope with the new appearance of the disease in Boke.

Placido Cardoso said that, in addition to strengthening surveillance, through people of log entries in Guinea-Bissau, are being carried out actions of training to health facilities in the country.

From Monday, 15, It will start a course of "rapid response" in the regions of Tombali, Gabu and islands of the Bijagos, covering not only health professionals but also NGOs and the defense forces and security installed in these locations.

Cardoso advises against the Guineans, especially those residing near the border with Guinea, unnecessary travel to affected areas in that country.

Recommended contact as quickly as possible the nearest health structures, where verification symptoms such as high temperature, emesis (with blood) and diarrhea.

Advised to be avoided direct contact with patients, Always Wash hands with soap and water and the fulfillment of the government's decision banning the holding of popular fairs and traditional ceremonies such as "touches crying."

According to the weekly report of the WHO, the case that resulted in a fatality was detected in Kamsar prefecture, in the Boke region that borders the south and Lesta area with Guinea-Bissau.

The victim was in the WHO list on suspicion of having been in contact with infected patients.

Between one and seven this month, according to the WHO, there were 16 new cases of Ebola throughout Guinea and the Boke region of Kamsar, was the one who appeared in the north,

Although the Ebola still exists in Guinea and Sierra Leone, Nigeria and Liberia have been declared free of this disease that has caused thousands of mortal victims.

http://www.gbissau.com/?p=15073
 
Back
Top